Adverts on E4U

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Adverts on E4U

Post by Horus »

Unfortunately your data has always been used by third parties to track your activities online, in this way they can target services and goods in your direction. As of today a new law in the UK & Europe makes all such companies ask for your permission to distribute your preferences amongst themselves and third parties. This means they can no longer have pre checked boxes that say you agree to certain conditions when using web sites and you can (in theory) have information deleted. The problem of course still remains as in order to access most sites you have to agree to their terms and conditions, I am sure most of you will have been getting requests to accept or update your permissions over the last few weeks as every site has had to comply with the new data laws. I have lost track of the amount of times that I have said to people “If something is free, then YOU are the product” basically they make their revenue from selling your data to interested parties hoping to sell you stuff. In most cases this is fairly innocuous and it will show you adds that it presumes you want to see, look up a holiday somewhere and bingo you will get holiday adds, look up the price of some trainers and the same will happen. It is when they do not have any such preferences that you get the random adds which often have nothing to do with what you prefer to see.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt4u and the other 4u sites do not track anything you do after leaving our site, but like horus says other sites like ebay do and will show things you have looked at on their sites to try tempt you to buy :)

Sorry LLL there is nothing I can do to change that, even if there was no ads on here the other sites will still track you regardless of which sites you visit, I was only saying to a friend the other day how peed off I was that I was still seeing ads for the braun oral-b electric toothbrush when I had already bought it, they have a long way to go before the ads become SMART :)

I would take it as a positive thing that you can see ads with things you have looked at, you then know that the shopping sites you have visited are tracking you, maybe you can disable tracking on their site or use some other shopping sites, I reckon all shopping sites will track you though. :tk
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That’s the point Keefy, most people do not realise that the adds that they see are usually personal to themselves, it does not follow that everyone will see the same advertisement, if you visit a certain type of site say to look at cars then you will most likely get targeted by car sales or insurance companies. The majority of websites have advertising on them somewhere or another and that is how they pay for themselves.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yeah - Right now I'm seeing an AD in the upper right that is by Paint Night re: party drinks. NEVER EVER have I touched on that site - I'm kinda Ebay & Amazon ONLY cause I otherwise don't shop online.

Really sucks that they can do this and it is not illegal here...........

So - Just NOW I clicked to close the AD WHICH I see is brought to me via GOOGLE and I'm now asked (by Google) 3 things "Seen this ad multiple times" or "Ad covered content" or "Already bought this"

I'm going to click "See this Ad multiple times" and then see what comes up ...... sooooo I have and now have a Message that Google has closed this ad and won't show it to me again (yeah right 'til the NEXT time) and now there is nothing up there but this Ad business inserting itself into your life is real intrusive.

Geez I hate getting these AD bars everywhere.........
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So now a few minutes later I'm getting another Ad - "Living with Jaguars" an interactive viewing experience (but also NO option to close it off)!!!!!!!!!!!! :xx :xx :xx :xx
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I don't know why you are getting upset/angry over the ads LLL we have had ads since we first opened the forums, Amazon has always shown.

:lol: I bet if it was not for the bug of it showing between some posts no one would have noticed the ads up in the top corner above the PM button and clock, most people don't know they have PM's if they don't hear the sound cause they tend not to look up there :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Keefy - Not so much upset that there are ads showing as the "TRACKING" me and what I'm looking at. Granted it was only a pottery sculpting stick however that is unique enough for me to know that Cyberspace is tracking what I look at and that is what is so annoying.

I know they do it on other sites but your E4U has never been a commercially oriented site to me. I expect it on Amazon, Ebay, FB but not here splashed across my screen.

Right now the Ad is "Bluehost" whereby I can "Launch my dream today. That ad is mostly over and above the time clock but is also almost under the 'e' on Timeline too and originally they were between posts.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

If the AD is any bigger than in the below snapshot then something is wrong :ni:

The between posts was a bug that I fixed, the AD shown above is the biggest AD that can be shown and is unobtrusive :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Mine's fine now, Keefy. Thank you very much for fixing the problem. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I don't see any advertising at the top of the page. :tk

Thank goodness for that. :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is the size that I'm getting now

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Mine seems to be OK too........Thanks Keefy :up
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:This is the size that I'm getting now

Thanks LLL I now know the problem :) The AD should be no bigger than the one I posted above, many are a lot smaller, it is also the same size for you except you have got 120% zoom on which of cause will zoom everything 120%. :)

BTW most browsers have a feature to block ADS, I know Opera does, if you click this on it stops the google ADS.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have been out all day, but was also going to comment on the zoom size being set at 120% as this will increase the add size.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

AGHHHHH!!!! I didn't see that ZOOM was on.

Factually this old Toshiba is being replaced by a newer younger Dell (I think) come mid-June on my next trip south as the zoom now automatically just changes often from 0 to 200+++ (so I'm constantly readjusting it), the screen periodically whites out where it just fades to complete white, keys stick etc. I just took the zoom back down to 100% and whilst I now have TWO ads up there from Amazon (Deep Discounts & Amazon.co.uk asking me to Shop Now) the ad only goes over "New Messages and Quick Links" and only touches to the "N" of User Control Panel.

Little ads like this were probably up there for a long time and I never noticed. Wasn't 'til the BAR ad came across that it became an 'oh no'

Thanks thanks thanks thanks and thanks! (Will keep an eye on the zoom - I do when it goes to the extreme)