Picasso has nothing on LLL

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Picasso has nothing on LLL

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Horus wrote:Dream on :lol: :lol:

I rather suspect you're right, Horus! :cry:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Although it was beautiful out today and I did go walk about I decided to make this for the daughter for her birthday that is coming up in a few months. The accent colour in her living room is purple & silver so hopefully this will 'fit.' Just afghan size and stitch in the ditch.

This I finished for her using up some cottons for Mothers Day this coming weekend here (although the Canadian gov't is wanting to stop both Mother's Day & Father's day as apparently these days do not reflect our culture and do not promote inclusivity!!! :x )

A table runner and another matching square table piece for a side table. You can't SEE it but the inside squares of the long runner were my first efforts at free motion quilting.

And lastly this is my last effort from the pottery studio. Going to be continuing my CITY come this Thursday once I'm back into the pottery studio.

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Love those colours in the quilt, LLL!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

These look lovely & I love the colour purple :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Although it is all beyond me, you ladies sure make some beautiful quilts and your final effort in your pottery city is magnificent, you really have improved over the course so goodness knows what we will be seeing as time passes, they get better each time.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The latest finish up of another bunch of scrap material I've collected and kept over the years. Some batik and some cottons in teal & fucshia colours.

Interestingly not sure why I ever collected teals & fucshia/pink colours as I have nothing in here in those colours and really don't even like them much BUT I did so still on a mission to use up scraps in a useful way hence another afghan.

BTW - and I think RS will relate - I did this as one of those jellyroll challenges. Not that I was racing but I did it however I didn't really measure out the jellyroll into exact numbers nor did I sew in a pattern. Not too sure I'm terribly impressed with doing that race as you might be able to speed sew a quilt in a few hours but then you've got mega pressing to do and the final look is - well - "different" (and not necessarily appealing)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

All over my head, but very nice all the same :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The scrap bag dwindles re: quilts and today pottery happens (I hope). The drawing course has been cancelled twice now 'til May 28th so might end up just cancelling me out of that one all together.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Another finished quilt project for another single bed. Again all batik fabric with a chocolate coloured binding.

It was about 6:30pm when I finished and took the photo but, although it hasn't rained today it is quite overcast so the lighting wasn't the best for the picture.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I learned (kinda sorta) the fine art of wrapping wire. Would have been lots easier IF the correct size of wire was available vs the heavy duty wire that was ordered and arrived and/or if we all had of had heavier guage pliers and not delicate jewelry pliers.

The idea was to make a "Tree of Life" ornament for the Christmas tree and again had the wire been thinner, flexible and for crafts the ornament would have turned out better and I could have even been able to thread beads but ???

Anyway it was fun to sit and socialize and snack on bourbon soaked and smoked salmon with havarti cheese & crackers.

This is my Tree of Life which somewhat reflects my own life ;) Kinda craggy roots with big lobby knobs, short branches that twine all over. No coordinating colour theme, lower branches different colours and different beads and then glossed over with blue beads (beads I had at home that I finished this off with).

Best of all I've now learned the pattern and what is needed to make one of these.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looks interesting, but as you say the wire looks to be a heavy guage and quite hard to twist into shape. :)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

That is lovely LLL. I bought a twisted wire tree back from South Africa a few years ago, use it for hanging earrings & jewellery on. Sadly it is still in Egypt but will get it over here eventually, hopefully next trip. I admire your skill I am hopeless at handicrafts.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We all got together to make these but unfortunately the lady who bought the wire couldn't find any in the craft shop here went to the Hardware store and bought wire there :P :P Am not a wire afficionado by any stretch and I guess I always thought wire was naturally more flexible than this stuff was but still fun to learn the pattern of how to make these.

I've seen some of these twisted wire trees formed around rocks or mounted on driftwood with lots of beads threaded through and shaped into bonsai or windswept or other shapes. Hopefully I'll be able to find some thinner flexible wire that I can thread small beads through and make a few. Hopefully onward and upward with something else to make.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

LLL can you get Amazon deliveries? They seem to have all sorts of jewellery & other wire on there.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Fablux, when I lived in Central & Southern Africa in the early 70's the kids used to make little cars and bicycles from strands of stiff wire that they would push along as a toy, did they still make them when you were there?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So in my never ending quest to keep ME amused and doing something I have taken up jewelry making. Not silver or gold smithing but I am re-purposing old crummy jewelry into earrings ;)

This venture started when the Daughter told me the Grandkids School will be holding a Craft Fair this coming Fall to raise $$ for the kids activities. She belongs to the Parent Advisory Council and they allowed the Grade 6 Class to have one and it raised a considerably amount so not they're going to formalize it for the entire school.

When she told me this I had just cleaned the closets & boxes and had a pile of old broken "jewels" I have not used since the day of the dinosaur and so it spawned the idea of ME developing a new craft for ME via making earrings. Earrings simply cause they take the least amount of "jewels" and my stock is/was not sufficient for me to make much else. I did have to buy some findings (i.e. ear wires) plus I did buy the little cards to put the earrings on as other to keep sorted as otherwise I'd have just another box of jewels all mixed and messed up.

So far I've made probably 40 or so sets of earrings but these are a few:
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
Most of what I'm making are 1 or 2 offs as I don't have sufficient glass stones or glass beads to make more.

The secondary bonus of this new hobby is that I've now started cruising the Thrift Shops looking for OLD necklaces & bracelets that have at least 2 decent glass beads. Mostly I looking for crystal glass or just glass beads and light stone beads. Is my latest hunt ;) :) Am quite enjoying making these (just hope they sell at the kids Craft Sale this Fall)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
Yet another hidden talent LLL, they are really nice. Well done you. :up
And as for the kids selling them, they will fly off their stall. :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You certainly do have hidden talents LLL and I agree with Grandad, they will sell like hot cakes.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I hope they will as this is a fund raising event. Won't happen 'til the fall and will probably be November-ish so people can buy for Christmas. I ordered the little backing cards from China and they just arrived so I had an entire evening of trying to match everybody up.

The fun part (for me) is now the Thrift shop shopping, garage/boot sales etc trying to find the stone or glass bead part. Can't be too big as then they're too heavy for earrings, can't be too small, they all have to 'just right!' ;) ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Finished this today. Made it for a twin sized bed.

My latest (but not greatest) achievement but it is bright and colourful and was easy to sew so "Ta Dah"!!! :) :) :)
DSCN0727.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.