A question for Horus

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

A question for Horus

Post by Grandad »

Perhaps I should say 'yet another question for Horus?' Don't you dare leave this forum mate. ;)

This one is about TV's. You told us that you recently invested in a new TV and as I am sure you would have done your research perhaps I can pick your brains.
Our current TV is a 40" Sony Bravia LCD HD 1080 that we have had for nearly 9 years. It is still perfectly OK but we feel we would both benefit from a larger screen.
It will be a 55" as that seems to be the medium size standard these days. They have moved on so much since I bought the Sony. I am au fait with most of the stuff like smart, wifi, bluetooth, freeview etc but I am a bit confused by screen design.
Can you tell me the difference between LED and OLED apart from the fact that OLED is about twice the price of LED. I think you said you bought an LG which rate at the top of the best buy lists. Did you get an LED or OLED and are you entirely happy with your choice.
I am considering LG or Samsung, I have always been a Samsung fan.
Thanks in advance. :up

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: A question for Horus

Post by Horus »

OLED is better than LED Grandad, but at a cost, the best way I can describe it is like this:
A normal LED (or Light Emitting Diode) is actually a single pixel on your screen that is either lit from the back or the side in order to illuminate that single pixel and therefore make it a part of the bigger picture. SMART TV’s are usually described as being 4K which means that there are 4000 pixels across the top of your screen in each row, this will give you the most up to date screen resolution and is amazing when viewing things like wildlife programs, even normal programs in HD and you will see the pimple on an actors nose or a man’s stubble on his chin. Not a lot of programs are produced in 4K but it is the future of TV and companies such as Netflix do have quite a few 4K films in their library.

OLED stands for (Organic Light Emitting Diode) and crudely put it is a pixel with an ‘organic’ base that gets stimulated by passing a current through it, so it is NOT side or backlit. So what you ask is the big deal? Simply this, a side or backlit pixel can ‘bleed’ the colour into adjacent pixels and although this is not usually that visible to most people it does make for a less sharper image than an OLED pixel which cannot bleed colour. OLED screens also have a much deeper range of BLACK and because they cannot bleed colour the pixels can be closer together, so although there is nothing about at the moment they are capable of showing an 8K resolution.

My advice? If you have money to throw about then OLED is the top of the range and the LG are as good as the Samsung and usually cost less, although to be honest neither yourself or Mrs G are likely to notice the improved technology of OLED. I would advise sticking with the (now normal) 4K Smart LED screens and again LG are an excellent choice as you can watch everything that is produced at the current time from HD/Ultra HD and 4K, you will also have built in the Freeview channels plus all of the other pay for view stuff like Amazon Prime & Netflix as selectable icons along with I-Player etc. I have been perfectly happy with my choice of LG
PS, I would avoid curved screens.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for the explanation and the sound advice mate. Like others it is so good to know you are there and that is not being patronising, just grateful :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You are always welcome ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Not that I'm getting a new TV but I have noticed that some of the new ones at the front of the store I shop in has had curved screens (not flat). On reading the sign it says this allows you to SEE the screen better from anywhere you sit in the room.

Not sure about that feature or if it really does make for better viewing?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Not sure about that feature or if it really does make for better viewing?
Basically no, rather the opposite, you only get the effect if you sit square on, they are like 3D sets and will die the death eventually. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Here, often is something is 'on sale' it'll be right at the doorway entrance to the store so you have to walk past (even to get to groceries). These curved TVs are often front and center so you can't help but notice them. I saw them as a novelty but I have no interest in one.