Stephen Lawrence

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Stephen Lawrence

Post by Ruby Slippers »

The recent ruling by the government to have an annual Remembrance Day for Stephen Lawrence has stirred up a hornets nest on some of the groups I belong to. :( The general consensus seems to be that it should be a Remembrance Day for ALL victims of violence, and that the only reasons that Stephen Lawrence has been singled out are: a/ he's black: b/ his parents have made sure to keep it in the public domain - vociferously: and c/ his parents are now in government or something. Of course, mentioning his colour has brought out a lot of racist remarks and the discussions have taken a turn for the nasty, as you can imagine! Although I agree with the point that there should be a day for all victims, my personal view is that if the whole event was just ignored, surely the government would take the hint sooner or later. What do the rest of you think? Any opinions? :D

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Stephen Lawrence

Post by Horus »

I agree, no special day there are many more tragic victims of violence, This smacks of the 'beat yourself with a big stick' because he was black, colour should not come into it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I also agree. Today is ANZAC day and 11 November is Remembrance day. Those are the sort of days worthy of remembering. Stephen Lawrence day does nothing more than create a precedent for others to follow.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't know all the ins and outs of this particular issue but IMO there is ONE day to Remember the Victims of Violence. That this man happens to be black is of no relevance. He was a victim but his remembrance should be with all others.