WHAT COULD IT BE.......

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: WHAT COULD IT BE.......

Post by Horus »

It's always bad news with getting any faulty item checked out and I suppose if you knock say £10 off for postage and insurance then it leaves £15 for an inspection. After doing some dismantling to check out the failed part so that they can give you a firm quotation for the work, which technically they have to stick with if they quote the cost of the repair, even if they find something else that is contributing to the problem and of course they will have to warranty the work that they do for a certain period afterwards. So I suppose a chance of losing £15 against having a useless camera is worth the risk to find out and hopefully the repair will be reasonable and you will already have £15 towards the cost of getting it fixed. :up

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Sounds a bit better the way you say it Horus, :) I just hope they can fix it & not be too costly.

I'm glad it's not the guy in Jessops doing it , when he asked for my email address telling him it's with a capital M he turns & asks how do I do a capital M...........doh :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

UGH! Really? That much to figure out what the future potential BILL 'might or could' be? Geeeezzzzzz!!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:UGH! Really? That much to figure out what the future potential BILL 'might or could' be? Geeeezzzzzz!!
These camera companies have us all by the short and curlies when it comes to repair work, you would think by now that they would know enough about certain faults on certain cameras to be able to say to the customers "Oh yes sir/madam that will require the replacement of the card slot and it will cost £65", but of course they cover their butt and want to be paid to pull it apart and test it out before they will commit to a price, robbing gits! :x :st

And Kiya that bloke does sound a bit thick :urm: but what can you expect sometimes, pay peanuts and get monkeys. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It's two weeks since I dropped my camera off with Jessops so not receiving any emails I decided to give them a ring, he told me there was supposedly a letter posted to me on the 18th which I have never received .

Any ways he told me it needs a new circuit board & then the camera has to be re-calibrated ( I think he said ) seems to be a big job at a cost of £148 & hopefully my deposit of £25 off that.

Is it worth getting it fixed ??......would I have more problems with it after getting fixed ??

At the moment a new camera is not on my list so have to decide with help to pay the above bill or go without camera :(

What ye thinks folks :?:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I guess to buy a new camera, nearest equivalent to yours, (1100D I believe) would be around £300 (plus your £25 deposit). If you forget about your deposit, that should come off the cost, you have a balance of about £125 for a camera which to all intents is in 'new' condition, having a new circuit board and being re-calibrated to the board.

Sounds like the best option to me because I would expect the repair to have some warrantee and during that period use the camera a lot to make sure all is well.

The only possible argument against this line is that the shutter has had a few years usage but, as your picture taking rate is not high I do not see that as an issue.

That would be my approach....
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Grandad for your advise :)

I checked back on Amazon when I bought the camera........April 2010 at £359, it doesn't feel I've had it that long.

The update I see for this camera is the Canon EOS 1200D at £309......not much fall in price in 4 years.

I don't mind paying the repair bill if I got another 4 years out of it, my only worry is if I'm laden with problems after getting it fixed.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Kiya - I suffer the same angst anytime I have to get something electronic fixed. I worry that I'll pay the repair cost(s) and then it'll only last a very short time and totally fail or have something else break down with it.

When I dropped my camera and snapped the lens off (just a teeny tiny little bit of plastic too) I have yet to take my camera in for a 'check up' but I opted to buy another lens vs even trying to have it fixed. That was in part cause nobody here in this area can even remotely fix anything without having to mail it away and those costs alone are prohibitive. I could (and will MAYBE ;) someday) take the lens to a camera repair shop in Seattle BUT I still worry that while they can easily fix the broken piece of plastic what else is broken or knocked off centre inside? And the cost to fix something ???

Hard to ever know what the best to do is.

Will Jessops guarantee the work for X amount of time? I'd probably go to fix it IF they gave me a guarantee of a few months time cause I'd be out there taking a bizzillion photos making sure the camera WAS working.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I don't know about a guarantee yet, will ask though when I eventually get it back :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yeah!!! camera is back at Jessops ready for me to pick up, a new circuit board & complete service.

Happy Days :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Woo Hoo!! Fully in time for the trip to Rome too! NOW I'm getting excited cause I know we'll be getting lots of good pictures here about ROME! :) :) :) :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hopefully camera will keep going till October & after Rome holiday :)

One of my brothers works in Aberdeen so hoping he'll have a few spare minutes tomorrow to pick it up for me :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Well guess what!!!!!! I'm raging!! got camera back today & thought no more ado & get going again.........NO!

Everything in camera is working but when I go to playback to see the photos everyone is showing " black " on screen, I know it is taking photos cause when I playback it shows the numbering of each photo.

I tried different cards & the cards in computer to see if they showed there, nope each photo is completely black as spades.

I'll be even more raging if I have to go back to Jessops.

Cant believe my luck.

HELP anyone please.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just take it back Kiya and blast them with both barrels.

And send a complaint direct to Peter Jones.....he owns Jessops. :xx :xx :xx
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes somebody is going to get it :xx but, I cant blame Jessops they are just the middle man sending it to Canon.

If I knew where to send to Peter Jones I would, his staff at Jessops are useless :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I really do sympathise with you on this one Kiya, I have had a similar experience with a camera repair, got the camera back and it still had a fault. It is beyond me why no one is actually testing the camera and putting their QC name on a doccument :urm: I think you should contact Cannon direct and complain big time and insist that they send you a pre paid bag to pack it up in and send it back to them directly. You may also want to speak to someone at Jessops just in case it is something silly that no one is thinking about, maybe some setting that is wrong in a menu, but sadly it does seem like you still have the same or similar problem as before. :tk
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I registered with a Canon forum tonight & put up a question stating what's wrong, I'll wait & see if any replies to that if not I'm going to phone Jessops tomorrow & see what they suggest.

Once I calm down hopefully tomorrow I'll see if I can get a phone number from Jessops for Canon.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd be over the top livid if that happened to me and I would be blasting with all barrels. Also know me well enough to let me calm down for a day but even so that is pretty shoddy that nobody tested the camera prior to shipping it back to you.

I'd be writing letters and complaining. The one thing I learned "you're not the only one." If poor work is happening to you it is happening to others too so well worth complaining and asking them to front the shipping costs and the next set of repairs too.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL.....livid is not the word to how mad I am & upset :(

Someone on the Canon forum suggested putting back to all default setting & to format the card/s , plus they mentioned they're surprised they didn't check it for photos before leaving the repair store.

Anything could have happened in transit but, I'm not going to listen to excuses.

Still very upset :(

Forgot to ask...Horus/Grandad how do I put it back to all default settings :?: asking just to make sure I do it right.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, go through your menu lists, item by item, and you should find something that says something like 'Restore factory settings' or 'Restore defaults'. Do that and it will re-set the program to the initial settings. I would remove your SD card when you do this so as not to complicate matters.

If that reset works then you should find that your clock is set to something like 1/1/1999. The camera has a small onboard memory so switch on and take a picture and see if you can 'review' it on screen. Switch your screen on (on my camera I have an LV 'Live View' button but tours may be different) and see if you have live images through the lens.

If you still have no image do no more, phone Jessops and raise a complaint and tell them that you are returning the camera. Ask for a complaint reference and the name of the person you speak to. At least that will put it on record just in case you can't get it back to them immediately.

You have probably got to continue your dealings via Jessops because they are the contact with Canon. You can contact Canon email support via the Canon UK website but without them knowing Jessops order numbers etc I doubt if they can help. I would continue via Jessops.