Egypt's presidential elections to be held 26, 27 May

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt's presidential elections to be held 26, 27 May

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt's presidential elections are due to take place on 26 and 27 May, the Presidential Elections Commission (PEC) – the judicial body overseeing the polls – announced on Sunday.

Hopeful candidates will be able to register with the PEC from 31 March until 20 April, every day from 9am to 8pm, with the exception of the final day, which will close at 2pm, said Anwar El-Assi, chairman of the PEC and the Supreme Constitutional Court (SCC).

A preliminary list of candidates will then be announced, showing the number of endorsements each candidate received, said El-Assi. According to Egypt's newly amended constitution, each candidate must get at least 25,000 endorsements from a minimum of 15 governorates, with at least 1,000 from each governorate.

The PEC will field objections against the candidates on 22 and 23 April and then, after revising them from 24 to 26 April, announce the results on 30 April, said El-Assi.

The rest of the electoral process will go as follows, says El-Assi:

The final and official list of the candidates will be announced on 2 May.

After that, candidates will select their campaign symbols so they can print election posters and signs.

The election campaigns will officially kick off on 3 May and last until 23 May.

The first round of voting will be on 26 and 27 May, from 8am to 8pm.

Candidates can then file complaints with the PEC on 29 May and will receive a final answer on 31 May.

The results of the election will be officially announced on 5 June. In case of a tie, a run-off will be held on 16 and 17 June, with the final results announced 26 June.

Egyptians living abroad will cast their ballots in the first round from 15 to 18 May, and from 6 to 9 June for the run-off.

El-Assi stressed that the new constitution stipulates that the election be placed under full judicial supervision to ensure they are marked with integrity and fairness.

Security forces, in cooperation with the army, will be on hand to secure the polls, he said.

Sunday's announcement from the PEC comes after weeks of debate over a controversial electoral law, widely believed to have caused the postponement.

The presidential electoral law, issued by interim President Adly Mansour on 8 March, stipulates that candidates cannot appeal the election results as announced by the PEC.

Critics have accused the new law of contravening Article 97 of the constitution, which makes administrative orders liable to judicial appeal.

Mansour has argued in favour of the law, however, explaining that while he was initially in favour of allowing appeals, he was eventually convinced that they would delay the electoral process and cast doubts on the new president's legitimacy, thus impacting national security.

Until this moment, the only candidates to have declared their intentions to run are Hamdeen Sabbahi, who finished third in the 2012 elections, and ex-minister of defense Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi, whose popularity soared following the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi last July.

The presidential race will be followed by parliamentary polls which, according to the 2014 constitution, must start within six months of the ratification of the national charter.

The post-Morsi constitution was approved by an overwhelming majority on 18 January.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/97883.aspx

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Egypt's presidential elections to be held 26, 27 May

Post by Grandad »

If Sisi is elected, and I expect he will be, I hope he will prove to be a strong leader and bring Egypt back to what it was just a few years ago. I have still not given up hopes of going to Luxor just one more time before I am 80 at the end of the year.....too many happy memories for our visits to just be cut short.....

After that it will probably be cruises from Dover, no flights and just 15 miles down the A2 to the cruise port. Always said I would never do a cruise but times and outlooks are a changing :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm inclined to believe that Sisi will become the man of the hour......... I too hope he proves to be a strong rational and capable leader.
Choccy

Post by Choccy »

In Luxor there are still tatty posters up from the last election between Morsey and Shafik, I have not seen any new posters up for the new elections and they are nearly upon us. In a lot of ways I hope Sissi does win, he seems to have the popular support of the people, and because of this the people may well give him the time to do what has to be done.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I doubt it Choccy :( people in newly emergent democracies such as Egypt have not had the time to get a jaundiced view of anything a politician says, unlike us in the West. If things don't improve very quickly then Egypt will be back to square one again with more protests that will culminate in another military take-over, although some may say that this actually is one by another name. In Western democracies we have got used to all the hype and downright bulls**t that we are told prior to local and general elections only to find that most promises are broken or never instigated in the first place, we know its just a game that politicians play to get votes, hence the lack of any real interest by most people which results in poor electoral turnouts. Having said that most people in the UK are so tired of this closed shop of politicians telling us what they will do and then failing to listen to the voice of the people that a huge backlash is imminent. Although they will never get to form a government (we are not radical enough for that) the UKIP candidates (United Kingdom Independence Party) I predict will trounce the other parties in both local and European elections. It will be a real wake up call and the other parties will be running around like headless chickens and promising the earth if they get elected in the UK general elections, of course voters will revert back to their usual voting pattern in a general election, but at least they will have to make and stick to some promises they do not like, such as controlling immigration better and an EU membership referendum.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I often think a benevolent, wise, just dictator might be the ticket anywhere verses the politicians we have now. I'm starting to think that career politicians are not what we need. They get too intrenched, complacent - dunno exactly what they get but they learn how to use lots of words to say NOTHING and learn never to really take a stand either. Any leader today given the size of the countries and economies has to be an expert with extensive knowledge in multiple disciplines both domestic and foreign.

I'm thinking Sisi will be elected and hopefully he can put Egypt back on a course of positive growth.