Warning re: Posting pictures online on Social Sites

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Warning re: Posting pictures online on Social Sites

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This was another warning that was shared with me. It details how the bad guys are apparently able to find out exactly where your children are based on photos you take with your phone and then post online

http://kyeos.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/w ... ell-phone/

I hope you can open it from the URL

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Warning re: Posting pictures online on Social Sites

Post by DJKeefy »

All you need to do is untick the gps tagging on photo's, this is normaly turned off when you buy a new phone, the option to turn it on is given when you first take a photo.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

This is the problems with lots of modern technology, mainly that it is too complicated for most people to understand so many features can be left enabled by default. To my way of thinking the cross over in technology from one device to another can also add to that, for example if I take a photograph and I really need to know the location of the image, then I will use my GPS device to waymark the location, I see absolutely no need to have a GPS in a camera. It is not as if most people do not actually know where they are to start with and to embed that information into a photograph that may be retrived by anyone for whatever purpose is potentially dangerous. Ordinary snaps around your home can give away your location and identify you to undesirable elements and the problem is multiplied by the constant sharing and overlap of information posted on one site that becomes public on another, often without that person being aware it has happened.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My son posted a picture on FB from the Canaries a week or two ago. There was no message but a header said 'so and so' (my son) was at Costa Teguise with XXX and YYY. XXX and YYY are his two daughters so how did the system know that they were with him.....they were not in the picture. Probably their smart phones linked the location.

The bigger issue, and I have warned him about this, is that your location is advertised to the world. With an invitation to burglars :xx
:gg:
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Many smartphones have face tag features, so all you have to do when you first take a photo of someone is add who they are, after this when you take another photo of them (even in a crowd) it recognizes them, from a photo you can call them, email them and check their facebook account, amongst other things.

Yet again this is turned off by default and a warning about using this feature and the GPS tagging is shown when you turn it on.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Thankyou for this information which I have now sent to a naive friend. :roll:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think that any of this type of information embedded into a phone or anything is crazy! I've taken photos of friends and family and posted them online and have NO IDEA if their location is being tracked or found.

This entire business of tagging people and then being able to comment and on and on - I've seriously stopped posting my photos of family online.

Lately technology in general is starting to scare me. It isn't what I know it is all the stuff I do not know and isn't readily known.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

BUT you can turn these features off LLL, at the end of the day the makers of smart phones/camera's are only giving people what they wanted, in the old days you could put the time and date on a photo (which looked ugly on a photo), then many years ago exif information was introduced, where it embedded the information about the photo, camera used, if flash was on, the aperture speed etc etc.

Some people like the new way, where you can see on a map exactly where you took the photo, who is in the photo, even the weather that day etc... with the digital age people take 1,000's of photo's and can't remember all the details of all of them.

The good thing like I keep saying, is that you can turn all this off (the default on a new device is off)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Looking more into this, It is scaremongering...

When you upload a photo to facebook, facebook recompiles the photo so it's more optimised, in doing this all exif information is removed, Ive done tests of before and after, before there was exif information, after uploading the photo then downloading it from facebook it was gone.

However when you are uploading a photo there is extra icon's (buttons) to tag a friend or add your location, you have to press these though to add other information like your location, and this would have to be repeated on each photo you upload.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting update Keefy.

I'm ON Facebook but don't post very much of anything and since this 'scare' I've decided not to be really posting pictures of the grandkids or family. Somehow having the family and kiddies out there for the world just isn't that good an idea....