Egyptian princess's tomb from 2500 BC uncovered

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

EGYPT'S antiquities minister announced overnight the discovery of a princess's tomb dating from the fifth dynasty (around 2500 BC) in the Abu Sir region south of Cairo.

"We have discovered the antechamber to Princess Shert Nebti's tomb which contains four limestone pillars," Mohamed Ibrahim said.

The pillars "have hieroglyphic inscriptions giving the princess's name and her titles, which include 'the daughter of the king Men Salbo and his lover venerated before God the all-powerful,'" he added.

Mr Ibrahim said that the Czech Institute of Egyptology's mission, funded by the Charles University of Prague and directed by Miroslav Bartas, had made the discovery.

"The discovery of this tomb marks the beginning of a new era in the history of the sepulchres at Abu Sir and Saqqara," Mr Ibrahim said.

The Czech team also excavated a corridor in the southeast of the antechamber, which leads off to four other tombs, two of which have already been discovered separately.

The two tombs belonged to high-ranking officials including a "grand upholder of the law" and an "inspector of the servants of the palace," according to their inscriptions. They date from the fifth pharaonic dynasty.

The discoveries have all been made during the excavation season, which began in October, said Usama al-Shini, director of the Supreme Council of Antiquities for Giza.

The corridor contains four limestone sarcophagi that contain statuettes of a man, a man accompanied by his son, and two men with a woman.

To view photos: Článek - detail - Filozofická fakulta Univerzity Karlovy v Praze

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/br ... 6509581174

Carpe diem! :le:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Egyptian princess's tomb from 2500 BC uncovered

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Makes me wish for the former cowboy hatted fellow - if he was still around I'd feel that I'd, at least, get a chance of seeing all this on telly.

Terrific find! :)
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Strangely enough, as I was about to read your comment, one of our morning TV news shows was showing footage of it! :)
Carpe diem! :le:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting! And quite might and could be on TV here. The cable guy just got me hooked up a couple days ago and apparently I get mega channels (even though I opted out of getting Movies). I'm really enjoying the Discovery Channel, Nova and National Geo Channel. Haven't found a TV Guide anywhere so I'm just watching what I'm searching for hour by hour (when I get a chance to actually watch what is ON)