King Tut

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

King Tut

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just a tidbit of trivia but right now the King Tut exhibit - mask, golden sandal, chair, chariot etc are on a touring display here in Seattle. Was tempted to go and see this but just don't think it can match seeing these artifacts in the Museum of Antiquities in Cairo.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: King Tut

Post by Horus »

You should go if you have not already seen them, are they the real ones or replicas? I have been fortunate enough to have seen them a few times in the Cairo museum and of course Tut lying in his own tomb in the VOK, there are also a few more interesting items belonging to him in the Luxor museum.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I really don't know if these are the "real" treasures or just mock-ups. I have seen the 'real' thing in Cairo and VOK too. They are really fantastic and makes me wonder, given King Tut was a lesser King what the bigger Pharohs tombs looked like before the grave robbers had a go at them.

On another note I've been wondering IF the Muslim Brotherhood gets into power if they will protect these treasures and offer them for world view as has been happening? Most of my thinking has lead me to believe that the real fundamentalists don't particularly believe in music, art, treasures etc and have taken careful pains to get rid of any and all statutes and art.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree that these fundamentalist types don't seem to care much about anything other than their own narrow views of the world, if the Taliban are anything to go by that is. However I can't see that the population who rely on these things for a living will take lightly to them being harmed in any way, although they do not seem to attatch the same historic value to them as we in the rest of the world do.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm using the measure of the Taliban by my measure right now. IF the more fundamentalists move in I'd want to HOPE they'd value these treasures but I'm really not sure nor can I actually see how the Egyptian people will be able to do much to save these treasures. Don't believe they'd have the means or ability to do so as most actions in Egypt seem to come with political/military might. Not that Egyptians can't effect change if they all come together but as per the good old Maslow's hierarchy of needs goes if you can't feed yourself and your family you're not apt to be out there laying down your life and efforts over Egyptian antiquities.

I'm feared that 'we' - those of us who have had the opportunity to see and experience these artifacts and treasures - are the last generation to have had the freedom and ability to do so. Something tells me 'tourisms' as we knew in Egypt is going to go the way of the dinosaur.
A-four

Post by A-four »

Aout 18 months ago I reported on another 4U site, that I had been to the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. I know the Tut collection very well. I knew that previous to my visit then a number of items, though not the best had been removed for a world tour, which incidently ends this year in the U.S. My last visit was in January last year, then I noticed that many and often important items of the collection were being boxwd away to be eventually moved to the future new museum at Giza, so I recommended that people should not longer bother to go there until the new place opens.

As for the tour that is presently in your country LLL, all I can say is that when friends who had not seen the whole collection, when the present touring one was at the O2 exhibition centre here in London, they were impressed with the mainly small items that were on show, the others who had seen the Cairo full collection, were not impressed.

As to your question of the safety of the collection in Cairo, for myself I think the Egyptian people regard this collection as just as important as their national flag.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

A-four I quite agree that I believe the average Egyptian believes the King Tut collection to be invaluable. I recall during the Arab Spring uprising that Egyptian individual were reported 'guarding' the museum - however - if a really fundamentalist politicial regieme gets in protecting the collection may be well beyond the abilities of the average Egyptian. Hope it is preserved or even 'loaned' for a few years to another 'home' in a safe safe place 'til the country can retain stability once more (and unfortunately I do not see this happening in the near future)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Whenever I think about the Taliban and their attitude to works of historical interest 0 I just think of the magnificent Buddhas of Bamiyan! :cry: What a crime!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree RS it is a crime and that is how many people think of the Taliban as destroyers of history and heritage. I have no doubt that the Egyptians think highly of all the King Tut treasures, but I do question how highly most ordinary people would actually value the stone monuments or how much they see it as a part of their present culture and beliefs, if it were not for tourism would anyone be that interested?
Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Whenever I think about the Taliban and their attitude to works of historical interest 0 I just think of the magnificent Buddhas of Bamiyan! :cry: What a crime!
Agreed with absolutely.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Quite agree Ruby Slippers and RaMont. I'd hate to see a repeat of this type of act based upon a political group getting into power. I am 'nervous' about Egyptian antiquities. If destruction started many could be destroyed prior to the rest of the world even being tipped off AND even if we (world) did know what could we do to stop the complete obliteration of world treasures?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

what could we do to stop the complete obliteration of world treasures
Basically we can't, you only have to remember that rightly or wrongly Nasser was quite prepared to submerge The Temple of Isis at Philae and the Temple at Abu Simbel plus many more under the risisng waters of his new dam. It was only the action of the rest of the world under the UNESCO organisation that provided the funds and the skills to preserve them otherwise they would now be gone. Relocation of these monuments was never a part of Egypts original plan, so here is a clear example that Egypt's politics can always endanger them. 8)