TUTORIAL DISCUSSIONS

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya don't worry about the creases spoiling any picture you decide to use, regardless of whatever you pick it will look OK, because your eyes are not really looking at the detail of the picture, but more the illusion it creates. ;)

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

My final finished crumpled old photo, did it twice! not sure what I did the 1st time but I lost it all.
Mr Tutor I used your white crumpled photo this time it looked whiter than mine & had to resize everything, finally got there :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I hate to say "I told you so" but I will, :) that picture looks a lot better, in fact I think it works really well. ;)
You have certainly mastered this technique, so that's another one to add to your growing collection of photo manipulation. :D
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thankyou Mr Tutor :) I hope you keep them coming :) I wonder what you can teach us next :?:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You are welcome Kiya :)
How about trying to do this?

[i1920
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Have I missed something somewhere :?:

Kiya seems to be racing away and I am still at the creased lines plus Horus' emailed scrunched paper and texture images????

Have I missed a lesson? Or is 'head girl' getting private tuition. :)))
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Actually Grandad she is :lol: :lol: and Kiya has been a very keen student and was doing very well even before I started the forum tutorials. :)

But because there was very little interest or input, it was becoming a waste of my time posting it in the tutorials as it does involve a lot of work to do so. I often wondered if I was just talking to myself and not really knowing if anyone else was interested or not, so I posted this which you probably missed:
http://www.egypt4u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1602

I will still help people out who are interested, but the onus will be upon them to contact me and request the tutorial and I will then assume they will either contact me again if they want to move on to the next part, or if they see something new that I post and they want to try it out themselves.

It is easier for me to use a direct email to send the information as I can just copy any picture files you may need directly into the email and I do not need to go through the long winded resizing and uploading to the forum, especially if it is only for one or two people. It also tells me when someone needs to continue as they will get back to me, rather than the current situation where I do not know if anyone is actually involved in doing the tutorials and I am just wasting my time.

I had hoped that it would add a common interest as a group topic, but it does not look as though there was a wide enough support for it to continue, :( but as I said, I will still continue to do it on a personal basis.

Grandad, if you have finished TUTORIAL 5, Part 2 then I will email you TUTORIAL 5, Part 3 which is the final part.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yeah!! that fire/name pic looks cool, I'd be ready to start that tutorial anytime when your ready Mr.Tutor.

Grandad I'm looking forward to seeing your finished " old crumpled photo" on here, hope you choose a better pic than I did with my 1st effort.
Also I'm only slightly ahead of you just because I've more time on my hands at the moment...."home alone" :lol:

Have to say I'm really enjoying learning these new techniques :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus I had missed that post for some reason. :(

I would appreciate that final part for the 'Old Picture' tutorial because I want to finish my project.

I DO understand all that you say about all your time spent with apparent little interest.

What you have done is whet mine and others appetites to explore the potential of our photo editors which most of us probably use for just cropping, alignment and colour adjustment.

I for one am now much more confident to investigate what I can achieve, thanks to your valued introduction to much of what hides in the toolbox and the menus. So thanks a lot for that and I will take up your offer of help if I get stuck on something.

Regards
Grandad
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, Part 3 of Tutorial 5 should be in your inbox by now :) and thanks for your kind comments.

Kiya, do you want to do the one I have posted as an example, or do you have something else in mind with a similar effect used on it?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Received with thanks H :)

Could the file for that 'flaming name' thing be reduced for use as an avatar or signature :?: I like the originality. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I suppose it could be, it may also be possible to animate the flame, the biggest problem will be the restricted upload size as it may lose a lot of detail, maybe Keefy can let us know what format and size will upload as I have tried in the past to put animations on for you to look at and they won't upload.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yep I'll carry on with your flaming picture....ta muchy :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well, got there in the end. :) Now I need to do all the tutorials again from square one to try to remember all the 'moves'. :) The old memory is failing so I guess some notes are called for........

Here is my effort:

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Well Done Grandad & a very good choice of photo too :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Excellent GD and another 10/10 for a perfect result. :) Good choice of subject as it lent itself to ageing quite nicely, may I suggest that you both keep your crumple borders a little smaller so that it does not detract too much from your main picture and the background texture?
Also don't forget to try some without the ageing effect as with the right picture it can also work very well.

And Grandad .................. notes are good :) how do you lot think I ever remember anything ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just a couple more pictures aged, and then I will save more exploring of the program until the winter months. I usually do this sort of thing then when the days are short. :)

I used a picture of Sheffield Park and treated it by the methods that we have learnt, one leaving the colour and one changing to sepia. And to try a slight variation I divided the creased layer into 9 panels.

This is how they came out:

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That's exactly what I like to see GD, having first learned the method then having a play about with it to see how it can be applied, you should have plenty to keep you busy during the Winter months now. :)

Edit: And the border looks better now. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, here is a quick variant on the theme.

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I think I prefer the " flaming name " I don't get it with flames coming from lovely flowers or is my imagination not with me today :roll: