Moon Shot

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sorry Grandad, been a bit busy :)
Here are my tips, but like lots of things it is often down to some good luck. :)
First off set up your tripod and camera about 1/2 hour before hand so that everything gets cold.

Wrap up warm.

If you can, use spot AE setting & AF set at Centre.

Try to focus on the darker parts of the moon if you can.

Use your camera timer at around 2 seconds as any longer and the Moon will have moved!

Usually low ISO settings of 100 or 200 work best (play around with it)

I have had good results with ISO 100, f5.6, 1/500 also good results using the same and ISO 200

Some people will say that it is better to use an aperture no larger than f8

Tonight I shall be trying some shots using ISO 100 (or 200) f11 with 1/500
plus some bracketed shots (3 at a time) with a setting of - 1, 0, +1 and trying an HDR merge to see how it turns out.

My own preference is to take them in B&W.

That's about it really and as you know it can be difficult to get it right, so be prepared to take 100 shots to get just 1 good one with everything looking clear.

Good luck and see your pictures later I hope. ;)

PS nearly forgot, no ND filters, but there is no harm in trying and increasing the shutter time a little.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Update for Grandad, just been doing quite well using the above settings, but with f5.6 and shutter speed between 1/125 and 1/25 using ISO 100 & 200. Have not viewed them yet so don't really know how well they have turned out, but they seem OK on view screen.

And ................... it is bloody cold outside brrrrrrrrr.
bigken

Post by bigken »

Last nights photo cropped a bit more

last night settings GD was on the tripod - iso 200 - 1/80 @ f/10 with a nd4 filter on at 300mm
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That looks better now its been cropped BK :)
And I reckon your own settings only go to confirm the huge variation in getting a good Moon picture, everyone seems to get theirs using different settings. :)
jewel

Post by jewel »

Lovely moons :)
Would be lovely to see some of the earth though ....now there's a challenge! :lol:
It's the spring equinox tomorrow, watch out for upcoming events especially in the middle east (remember Moses and the parting of the red sea?)
The moon was at the dividing point between Leo and Virgo at the February full moon. This energy lined up with the Sphinx in Egypt that had just been activated. This was part of the process of moving us into zero point energy
http://www.platetectonics.com/oceanfloors/somali.asp
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just so long as you don't start telling us things such as:
"The Moon is in Uranus" :roll: :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Another attempt but worse than last night me thinks using 1/160sec, f/11, Iso800.
Not sure what all the fuss was about, have to admit I've seen better moons.

jewel

Post by jewel »

Just so long as you don't start telling us things such as:
"The Moon is in Uranus"
Mmmm...strange you should mention Uranus though..................
The planet Uranus moved into Aries on March 11 and was on 0 degrees. This made a conjunction with Nibiru, which is also on 0 degrees Aries, which explains a lot of recent events :?

http://www.seasky.org/solar-system/uranus.html
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya wrote:Another attempt but worse than last night me thinks using 1/160sec, f/11, Iso800.
Not sure what all the fuss was about, have to admit I've seen better moons.

I think in the scheme of things the Moons closeness to Earth is barely perceptible to the human eye and to make matters worse last night it was more cloudy. :)
Your picture looks good though Kiya :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I was out last night at 11pm snapping photos of the moon. I didn't have my monopod and probably should have. The flash of my camera caught the eye of the neighbours and they came out yelling at me "Can we help you with something?" Once I answered and they realized it was me it was ok. Guess I gave them a start and they gave me one too.

I took a few of the moon just up in the sky but those photos looked like shiney dots in the sky.

I added the trees and clouds by walking about and produced this photo after cropping.

However on most of my photos I was getting this effect. Was this a reflection from the moon? Something I was doing with the camera? Why was I getting this smudge on all my other photos?

All of my pictures had this smudge. Photo #1 here was cropped to cut out the reflection/smudge.

I didn't get much detail of the moon either. Mostly just a bright white blob.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

--- - - - - -

Post by Jayway »

I have delved into my vast knowledge of photography (NADA) so now the only guess is -- spirit presence --OR-- radiation effect - - taking your pills yet . LLL ? ? :) :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, my first question would have to be “Why on Earth have you got your flash on when taking Moon pictures?” :lol: :lol:
You would need a flash the equivalent of about a million neutron bombs going off to illuminate the sky. :roll: In fact the brightness is your biggest problem when taking Moon pictures, it also looks like there was a lot of cloud about which really doesn’t help as it diffuses the light and gives you that blurred halo effect. :)

You need a very clear night with no cloud, your camera needs to be on a tripod and you ideally need to use a remote or a 2 second timer to take your picture. Use a low ISO of 100 or 200 and around f5.6 to start with. Try starting with around 1/500 and move towards 1/50 depending upon your results. If it is not a full moon try to focus at the point that the dark shadow starts across the Moon..
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus said
Good luck and see your pictures later I hope.
Nothing to show I'm afraid H......too bloody cold and those that I did try had the same effect as LLL, flair. :( But I was hand holding.....

Ah well, another one in 18 years :lol: :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

:oops: :oops: :oops: Oooops - yeah - why did I have my flash on? hmmmm - my honest answer is - I dunno. Just seemed like a good idea at the time cause it was dark.

Getting a shot of the moon was a bit of an afterthought and I didn't get all set up with tripod and stuff so I was hand holding which I know accounted for some of the blur.

As Grandad says there will be another one in 18 years......ohhhhhhhh sooooo much to do - sooooooo littel time .......

(Thanks for the tips H!! Muchly appreciated!)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hey, no need for either of you to wait that long ;) there will be another full moon in a month and maybe better skies, the closeness is just an illusion, it hardly makes any difference to taking a picture and there will still be plenty of waning Moon picture opportunities over the next few weeks. :)