Thieves and You

A light-hearted section of Jokes - Text Games - Only In Egypt Photos and Videos - Brainteasers and General Fun Stuff to while away the spare minutes of your day.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Thieves and You

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

NOT ALL THIEVES ARE STUPID

1. LONG - TERM PARKING

Some people left their car in the long-term parking at San Jose while away, and someone broke into the car. Using the information on the car's registration in the glove compartment, they drove the car to the people's home in Pebble Beach and robbed it. So I guess if we are going to leave the car in long-term parking, we should NOT leave the registration/insurance cards in it, nor your remote garage door opener. This gives us something to think about with all our new electronic technology.

2. GPS:

Someone had their car broken into while they were at a football game. Their car was parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard. When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen. The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean out the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents. Something to consider if you have a GPS - don't put your home address in it. Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know where you live if your GPS were stolen.

3. CELL PHONES:

I never thought of this! This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on her cell phone after her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet, etc., was stolen. Twenty minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says, "I received your text asking about our Pin number and I've replied a little while ago." When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text "hubby" in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.

Moral lesson:
a. Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc.
b.. And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.
c. Also, when you're being texted by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet "family and friends" who text you.

4. PURSE IN THE GROCERY CART SCAM:
A lady went grocery-shopping at a local mall and left her purse sitting in the children's seat of the cart while she reached something off a shelf/ Wait till you read the WHOLE story! Her wallet was stolen, and she reported it to the store personnel. After returning home, she received a phone call from the Mall Security to say that they had her wallet and that although there was no money in it, it did still hold her personal papers. She immediately went to pick up her wallet, only to be told by Mall Security that they had not called her. By the time she returned home again, her house had been broken into and burglarized. The thieves knew that by calling and saying they were Mall Security, they could lure her out of her house long enough for them to burglarize it.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Thieves and You

Post by Grandad »

The thing about all that to me LLL is that those 'tricks' are so simple anyone could do it. No sophisticated computer hacking or scamming. The GPS thing probably applies to all of us in that in the SatNav memory we have an address called "Home"
Perhaps under that heading we should put the Zip code or Post code for the nearest Police station. That would throw them
:xx :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think my GPS tracker would automatically take you HOME if you typed HOME into it.......(Not sure but I'm thinking it would)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have not driven for nearly 3 years now LLL but my SatNav had a menu of all of my pre-loaded addresses. So, abit tongue in cheek, I could program 'Home' with the local police station location and name my own home location as 'Auntie Bessies' or suchlike. :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

True - Am hacking and coughing today (seem to have picked up a big somewhere) but when I go out to the car I'm going to have a look at what is on my GPS. I don't use it that often cause mostly it is pretty darn hard to get lost on the Island (water on RIGHT you're going NORTH - and there is only 1 highway! Water on LEFT you're going south)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Grandson Louis is very upset right now. His treasured Carrera Vengeance mountain bike was stolen from their garage on Wednesday night. :xx
They have raised alerts throughout the FB network so hopefully somebody will see it either being used, for sale, or dumped.
s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Bikes being stolen is a daily happening here. Nothing is safe anymore from thieves. About 2 (maybe 3 years ago - I lose track of time) my own old bike was stolen from in from a the Coffee Shop grocery store I go to for a cuppa. Happened in the blink of an eye AND my bike was even locked down but they arrive with battery operated cutters and before you know it your bike is gone. Mine wasn't even a high end new one .......

What also infuriates me is when a child's item is stolen. I can figure it out and rationalize a theft from me but I'd be livid it if belonged to one of the Crew. They love their bikes and the items they do have and would be totally devastated if their things got stolen.

AND lastly here it is just brazen theft. It isn't like somebody NEEDS a bike to ride to work. Police are aware that bikes are stolen and immediately taken to a chop shop for parts.

Hopefully Louis bike will be recovered asap.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

What a shame Grandad, do hope somebody recognises it & he gets it back.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Rotten thieves :xx Hope Louis gets his bike back soon & in one piece :)