Zoo Shows

A light-hearted section of Jokes - Text Games - Only In Egypt Photos and Videos - Brainteasers and General Fun Stuff to while away the spare minutes of your day.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Zoo Shows

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lately, during the day, I've been watching two shows: "Zoo Diaries" (30 minute TV show) and another one that features the Bronx Zoo. Both shows will feature a wild animal or bird and then give details about them, issues they might have or things they may face in the context of living in a zoo. I am finding these shows quite interesting particularly in terms of how the focus of these zoos is not to ensure longevity of different species and the research they're doing.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Zoo Shows

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, I didn't quite get your point in the last sentence. Are you saying that there is no intention or effort to do anything to help to prolong endangered species? And what research are you referring to?

Sorry but I must have had a 'senior moment'. It's the dementia I think ;)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - It was a typo! Guess cause it was the wee hours of the morning I didn't realize I'd inserted a negative in there.

I meant to say I enjoy seeing all the different research they're doing to preserve species. Bats are having a hard time surviving due to a virus and they talked efforts to explore this, same with new artificial insemination techniques and just all the different things they do with all the different wildlife species. So much to know and so hard to do it. Quite like hearing them explain comparisons from old zoos and how they've modernized and value interactive activities for the animals to keep them from being bored (unlike zoos when I was a kid where animals were all lined up side by side in sterile cages and/or I'd watch them pace back and forth, back and forth).

Just watched one where the zoo had quite a rare species of monkey and now my senior moment has struck and I can't remember what species it was but it's pal/partner died. In efforts to keep it social and engaged the keepers have now taken to going into the cage to actually play with it and found out it took very little effort for this guy to WANT to play with them. They also mock groom him as he likes to sit so they can pick the bugs off ..... all quite interesting to me.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

We have a programme called The Secret Life of the Zoo featuring Chester Zoo. It's very highly rated for it's breeding programmes for endangered species of all kinds including insects. The Wiki link is very long, but extremely informative and at least I enjoyed reading it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Zoo

There is a very devoted team looking after the animals and their enthusiasm is contagious, whether it is for a pregnant sea horse, a rare beetle or an elephant. It is a huge Zoo with thousands of exhibits and is a registered Charity. I like the way that different species may share accommodation - not cages. For example Meerkats and Porcupines. The lengths that they go to give the animals things they really enjoy - for example blankets for the large apes, frozen treats in hot weather and most important space. Water and ditches are used as barriers.

I forgot to mention that there was a huge fire there last week in a new feature. Some insects and small birds were lost, everything else was saved. Visitors remarked that as soon as the fire broke out and people were told to evacuate the area - all the staff could be seen running towards the fire without hesitation.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I like it too when they allow animals to share spaces. There is in a place in Washington State called "Northwest Trek" featuring animals found in North America. Granted lots of the animals are herbivores - deer, elk, goats etc so can easily share. You essentially get on a train and it takes you around, through and over their territory so you can observe. Nice day away and it gets you fairly close to some of the animals but you're up higher in a train

I like the zoos that have breeding programs and staff that are interactive with the animals.

I remember at the Hawaii Zoo seeing the Orangutan exhibit. Huge male and when the Zoo keeper did the talk for the crowd he started by kneeling down. Soon as the Orang saw the keeper he came over so we all could see. During the talk the keeper went from kneeling to standing and as the Keeper got the higher the Orang went higher. Apparently it is a dominant male Orang thing to always move HIGHER and be over their counterpart. Towards the end of the exhibit talk the Keeper again kneeled and down came the Orang.

At the monkey exhibit they were given their snack inside toilet paper roll cores that were strewn about their enclosure so they had to basically search and find. They idea keeping the monkey active in having to search and find (I don't remember what type of monkey but they were small little guys).

The Honolulu zoo isn't a big zoo at all but animals there appear all well cared for and were active and moving when I saw them in that the Zoo posted times when the animals would be fed or the Keeper present which gives zoo goes a chance to see the animals moving around and not just sleeping in a corner. The enclosures they're in are naturalized (no cement & bar cages)