Even More Trivia

A light-hearted section of Jokes - Text Games - Only In Egypt Photos and Videos - Brainteasers and General Fun Stuff to while away the spare minutes of your day.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Even More Trivia

Post by Grandad »

I came across this puzzle painted on a 17th century jug, while watching an antiques program (to which I am addicted :lol: ) yesterday.

I think it is probably an old well known puzzle but it was first time for me, If you have not seen it before, have a go..

A man went on a trip with a fox, a goose and a sack of corn. He came upon a stream which he had to cross and found a tiny boat to use to cross the stream. He could only take himself and one other - the fox, the goose, or the corn - at a time. He could not leave the fox alone with the goose or the goose alone with the corn. How does he get all safely over the stream?
Spoiler
The answer is: Take the goose over first and come back. Then take the fox over and bring the goose back. Now take the corn over and come back alone to get the goose. Take the goose over and the job is done!

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Even More Trivia

Post by Horus »

A simple solution when you know the order, but it can be baffling at first sight. I have seen this puzzle in other places using different items, so this time I knew the answer. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well I didn't know the answer but the answer is a good one (I wasn't making multiple trips ;) )
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It was a nice item eh, Grandad. I'm hooked on the antique programmes at the moment. I can hear what is being said, it's not lost in loud music.:up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

MD I have to confess to being an avid fan of all the antique programs. Many are repeats and my wife criticises me for watching programs I probably watched before. I love the auctions and the surprises that can come up. Like Paul Laidlaws find of that little 19th century camera that he came across in Margate. Bought for £60, sold for £20,000. But Paul is just about the sharpest of all the professionals that appear in the programs. :up
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Totally agree, did you see the recent one when "JP" who hadn't been doing very well bought and sold at a loss a small table. Next day, at first shop, there was the table at an even higher price!

I often see things which have been on other programmes - things I thought were uncommon and obviously are not. It's quite an eye opener too on how prices fluctuate, and how yesterday's rubbish is now being reworked into today's fashion. People don't like polishing metal any more so brass and copper in particular have really dropped in price. I must admit I did make good pocket money out of horse brasses sold to me for 50p from my brother in law up North (who wrote a book about The Heavy Horse it's Harness and Decoration). They sold for £3 each in Kent in the early '70s.

I cannot for the life of me see the attraction in old oil cans and as for the items which are turned into lamps and tables, words fail me. I
Smile! It confuses people