Australia Fires

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Australia Fires

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have been watching for some weeks now the wildfires blaze away in Australia. Saddens me to read about the Koala bears who are now termed via the News "functionally extinct. I also believe they have very specific diets so it isn't like they can be just put anywhere. This says nothing for all the other animals facing this level of fire too. How many species have actually gone extinct?

This morning I saw they're now doing mass evacuations of people. Must be terrible to have to leave your home and all you've worked for. The tangible stuff is bad enough but to lose all the memories would be even worse.

Canada has sent 69 Firemen types to help with the Fires but this actually seems a drop in the bucket.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Australia Fires

Post by Grandad »

I believe those forest fires have been raging for about four months now LLL. We are getting reports and images on the news every day and it is quite devastating. But when you see the full extent of the fires I have to ask if it is even possible to control them. The best answer will be a change in the weather with torrential downpours if that ever happens in SE Australia.
Preservation of human life must come first but for the animals, if the fires cannot be controlled I fear that many will suffer which is something I hate to see. Humans can help themselves, animals are helpless. :( :(
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have cousins there and so far whilst they're noting and complaining about the fires they haven't been evacuated. The other relatives are in Darwin (north) and are actually on extended visits right now in the UK visiting the relatives.

I did hear one commentator say on TV that the Fires in Australia are worse as there is an abundance of dried out underbrush as the Environmentalists stopped the cleaning up. I fully understand this as that is what is happening here too. In years gone by the logging companies after they logged off an area would put all the "slash" into huge piles and light them on fire. They're typically smolder away all winter but there was not much left to burn. Past few years we have had horrendous fires here because the forests do quickly become tinder dry and there is tons and tons of brittle dried out branches and twigs to burn forever. It was also all the Greeners and Environmentalists who started this - disallowing the Loggers to clean up. For some reason they thought it better to leave all the debris from logging on the ground. Now even here we can all live in fear of being burned out of our homes should a fire start.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Unfortunately the kind of land cover that can cope with the terrain and the climate does lend itself to natural fires even without the help of Man.

In Ibiza the natural tree cover is coniferous, there is only one river and that has been dry for several years. In the summer months open fires are forbidden, but still the helicopters which scoop seawater are frequently seen collecting and dumping their load. I think they are on standby all year and they do a good job. When it rains which is very infrequently it can be with tropical ferocity bringing traffic to a halt and would put out any fire. Unfortunately fires and rain aren't synchronised. :(
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I was talking on FB to the Cousin in Australia a few hours ago and she sent this photo taken on January 1st from her living room window. Fires are getting close(r).
81553441_578056999408086_8523497426525356032_n.jpg
She said earlier she is packed and ready to leave soon as word comes out and she is actively monitoring everything for 'word.'

She just posted this message:

NSW Rural Fire Service

EMERGENCY WARNING - Morton Fire (Wingecarribee LGA)

A fire is burning in the area of Bundanoon, north of the Shoalhaven River. The fire is spreading quickly.

The fire has spread into the Southern Highlands from the Currowan Fire.
If you are in Bundanoon, Wingello, Penrose, Meryla and surrounding areas it is too late to leave. Seek shelter as the fire approaches. Protect yourself from the heat of the fire.

She said that the "it is too late to leave so protect yourself" is now the NEW NORM and as the fires are moving so fast that is about all the Emergency Service people can get out. That I find unreal.

18 months with no real rain, temperatures of 41C today and then they see "Pyro Nimbus Clouds" as the fires are so big they're making their own weather systems now.
81634151_2774562879271723_5057528427188322304_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

That is dreadful. It is heartbreaking to see.

I read today that 500 million animals are believed to have died in the fires so far, just beyond comprehension isn't it? :cry:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Heartbreaking indeed, beyond words for me really.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I haven't had any more word from my cousin however she was thinking they (her + hubby + child) would be/could be evacuating at any time.

I DID see on FB today that it has rained somewhere in Australia but I only saw it in passing so no idea the impact of this weather on the fires.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I think it was NSW that had the rain but I don't think it was enough to make much difference to the fires though.