The Power of DNA

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The Power of DNA

Post by Grandad »

I watched a fascinating program on TV last evening. Apparently there are still many thousands of soldiers from the first world war whose remains have never been found. Each year the remains of approximately 60 lost soldiers are found around Western Europe.
The Ministry of Defence has a department staffed by a small group of women whose task is to identify these remains as they are found. They are called 'The War Detectives'. By the use of military records, census records and now DNA, they have much success in connecting the deceased with living relatives. There is then a military funeral of the remains in one of the many war graves around Europe plus a named headstone where before there was just a headstone marked 'An unknown soldier'.
It was a very poignant program that showed clearly how, after more than 100 years, it is possible with DNA to bring appropriate closure on the life of some long lost relative.
Excellent. :up

:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: The Power of DNA

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I saw part of it, Grandad. A few years ago, I belonged to a site that was mostly Australian women, and one of those women was involved in the identification and repatriation of Australian servicemen who were killed in WW1. Fascinating subject! I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for Australia at the moment. Must be because I'm re-visiting the books by Nevil Shute! :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm fascinated by DNA and how complex it is and how LONG too. Am sure as science evolves what they're discovering will continue to get better and better.

One of the good things imo that Trump has accomplished is the return of US Servicemen's bodies from North Korea. Always nice to see them returning home.

Another of the things that bothers me in the world is the Holocaust and the annihilation of so many Jewish persons. So many families totally gone and disappeared with relatives never being able to reacquaint. Almost the same with all the African Americans who were captured by their own and brought across the Atlantic. I think advances in DNA will bring them great interest in knowing where they actually hailed from and if they still happen to have relatives in those countries.

Not too sure though about genetic engineering. Am positive there are labs working on it and using DNA to augment or destroy aspects of an organism. I'm especially not too keen on knowing it is happening to our food and we're all eating it. Just don't know how it will all pan out into the future.........
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I saw it too, very interesting and had a tears listening to some of the stories, such young men.