Brave new world

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Brave new world

Post by Horus »

A very interesting development in computers happened today, Google with its massive resources announced that they had developed the worlds first Quantum Computer. What on earth is a quantum computer you may well ask and quite frankly I could not really tell you because I and I suspect you are not able to get your head around Quantum Mechanics. It is the theory of quantum mechanics that make this computer possible, in a normal computer the answer to any problem is either a 1 or a 0 (one or zero) or ‘on’ & ‘off’ but with a quantum computer it could be ‘on’ ‘off’ or ‘both’ all at the same time !!!! Yes I know it does not make much sense, but that is the reality of quantum mechanics, it makes the real world seem weird. So what does this really mean? Well take a problem that is so complex that it would take a ‘normal’ computer Ten thousand years to solve, the Quantum Computer can do it in just ‘Three Minutes’ :o the future starts here.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Brave new world

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wow! And what a computer can solve in milliseconds that takes us hours to day - how are we ever going to control them once they get going?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The answer to that LLL is that they would have to become 'self aware' and I doubt that is possible, but who knows? And of course you have to remember that it was a human brain that conceived them. What is certain is that this sort of computing power is going to lead us into some amazing new technology in the future, let me give you an example. My friend has one of these immersible headsets that let you experience an all around 3D interaction with a computer programme, so you can fly in a WW2 Lancaster bombing raid over Berlin or sit in the Apollo space capsule and experience the moon landing. It isn't perfect but it is truly amazing and you can almost feel you are there with all the sights, sounds and action all around you. He has a high specification computer and a very powerful graphics card to render all the things you are seeing so it seems like live action, now try to imagine this possibility. What if a computer was so powerful that say if you were walking in a video of a Victorian street scene and it had computer generated characters, all of them dressed for the part and all of the details you were seeing are totally correct and you can interact with these characters. Now imagine that the computer was so powerful that it could make those characters think that 'they' were real and existed and lived in that time. Maybe it has already happened and 'we' are actually living in some sort of video simulation. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think technology is amazing and wonderful and is going to break us into areas we can't even yet imagine.

This is from memory. It was an article I scanned a year or so ago and I really don't recall it that well however the gist is/was that one of the big Tech Companies (and for some reason I'm recalling it to be Amazon) did in fact develop two extremely advanced computers. Cutting edge in every sense. In short order they had to take them down as the two started interacting with each other and actually started developing their own codes & language independently so much so the operators had to basically pull the plug on them as they couldn't keep up with the new language aka 'thinking' these computer were doing.

Now maybe that is all fiction and maybe "I" was the one out in outer space but I recall reading something along these lines and was somewhat taken with the notion of computers interacting and then having the capability to develop their own language/codes/symbols etc and doing it so seamlessly and fast that us mere mortals were unable to keep up. Then I know I went into Star Trek mode envisioning Jean Luc Picard sitting at the consul on the Enterprise ;)

What you're describing would definitely be extremely interesting though. Could almost be a holiday adventure in high definition graphics. Almost beyond imagination really how detailed it could all be.