The Limit of Human Endurance?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The Limit of Human Endurance?

Post by Grandad »

Swimmer Lewis Pugh Tweeted 'When we think we have reached the limit of human endurance, somebody shatters the record'
He was paying tribute to Sarah Thomas, a 37 year old open water ultra swimmer who had just completed 4 crossings of the English channel without a break. Sarah is from Colorado USA and her achievement is even more amazing when it was told that she had treatment for breast cancer little over a year ago.
The straight line distance would have totaled just over 80 miles for the 4 crossings but with tidal drift it is estimated that Sarah swam around 130 miles.
I am just so full of admiration for this lady who must now be a role model for both long distance swimmers and cancer sufferers. Respect Sarah. Immense congratulations. :a4:

This is Sarah arriving on the beach at Dover just after 6am this morning and well done to many locals who were there to greet her :up :up .
_108841253_washer.jpg
Edit: I forgot to mention a very important fact. Sarah was in the water for 54 hours and 10 minutes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The Limit of Human Endurance?

Post by Kiya »

Congratulations to Sarah, what an achievement :up :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: The Limit of Human Endurance?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wow - that is pretty impressive. I thought I was at the limits of human endurance yesterday after 90 minutes of dental surgery to get the implant into my jaw.

I wonder how this type of extreme training affects the human body? Does it make the body stronger in the long run or does it really zap certain areas so that in later years you'll have deficits. I've read that young people who do lots of gymnastics often develop super serious body injuries with pain (i.e. back pain due to injuries sustained).

The "limit of human endurance" also always reminds me immediately of all the Jews who suffered in Nazi concentration camps. That limit of human endurance always causes me to just shake my head at what they must have suffered.