Dorian

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Dorian

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So Hurricane Dorian is heading towards Florida and battering the Bahamas now. Instructions are to LEAVE YOUR HOME NOW but yet many don't.

It is the same here when forest fires loom - do you stay or do you leave? IF you leave your house is most apt to be looted - pretty darn heinous but a reality of life OR do you stay and 'hope & pray' the storm or fire won't hit you?

I've only ever had to think about it in terms of forest fire and while the fire was close it wasn't sufficiently close to make me think I'd leave although after I watched some of the video of people escaping the Fort MacMurray fires I've thought hard on whether I would stay or go. Other problem is where do you go? The Gov't doesn't necessarily always set up shelters so ???

Many stayed when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and were left high and dry for days without support ......

Once the final call comes the roads will clog up and you won't get out anyway so it is a hard call to know whether to stay or leave? What would you do?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Dorian

Post by Horus »

Maybe the answer to both scenario's is some sort of underground shelter suitable built on your property. You would be fairly safe from a hurricane and as most forrest fires move quickly and are relatively short duration in any given area then you should be safe if you take some precautions beforehand. :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Right now Dorian is bashing Atlantic Canada and the Province of Nova Scotia is in about 75% darkness as the storm is taking down power lines, battering the shores, uprooting trees.

Sent an email to the oldest daughter asking her if she was getting anything in Quebec City but haven't heard.

Other friends on the east coast of the USA have booked a cruise around Atlantic Canada for next week. They're hoping the storm will abate by then and their cruise will go ahead but they're a bit anxious due to the severity of this storm.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think they may be OK because our lomg range weather for the comming week is showing the remnants of Dorian bringing heavy rain over the UK so it will have passed over Canada very soon. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus That was our conclusion too as we talked about it. This is the second time my friends have done this cruise and said they really loved it particularly catching all the Fall colour changes.