Totem in Manchester

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Totem in Manchester

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, your post about your visit to the park with the 'crew' reminded me of an item on the TV show The Antiques Roadshow, of 2 June. A first nation Canadian brought along a Totem pole that had stood in front of the offices of the Manchester Liners and Docks offices as a symbol of the trade between Manchester and Canada. It was carved in Vancouver, North West Territory, in 1969 by Douglas Cranmer, older brother of the gentleman who appeared with it on the show.
It is carved in Red Cedar and is nearly 10 metres long and weighing almost 2 tons. I thought this might be of interest to you as you have often posted pictures of totems and you included one in your park pictures.
These are screen shots from the iplayer so are not too good. The final two, I found online, are when the Totem was still in situ in front of the offices. I assume that the offices have since been demolished (could be wrong though)
2019-06-16 (1).jpg
2019-06-16 (2).jpg
2019-06-16 (3).jpg
2019-06-16 (4).png.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Totem in Manchester

Post by Horus »

I remeber watching that particular programme
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Totem in Manchester

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm aware of the family. Not sure they're all carvers but to learn to carve is common in First Nations Families. You scored a very nice totem there. One of the big ones too! ;)

I quite like them and here they're dotted about symbolizing various families and clans.

The city of Duncan (about an hour south of me) is referred to as the "City of Totems" and they have them everywhere. Quite a tourist attraction and the museum even does a walking tour to explain them.

Thanks for sharing. They're interesting pictures ;)