Grenfell Tower & Notre Dame

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Grenfell Tower & Notre Dame

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This blurb is being posted about here and seems to be raising some ire with those who are Tenants in housing.

This is the Post: Canadian Dimension Magazine: ‘In just 24 hours, over half a billion euros was raised to rebuild Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral. Meanwhile, it has been almost two years since the Grenfell Tower fire, and survivors are still homeless and waiting to be rehoused’

Note that Grenfell Tower was badly-designed public housing, but there is every reason to sincerely invest in health and safety for all. The stigma against renters and homeless people hurts human dignity and must end!

Don't know if you're getting any of this type of comparisons there but here there is outcry.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Grenfell Tower & Notre Dame

Post by Grandad »

I really can't see any comparison between Grenfell and Notre Dame. One was a human disaster, the other an historical disaster.
We can't replace lives but we can restore historic buildings.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't either but what I posted has been adopted by many here including all Tenants Rights groups. Mostly their mantra is that $1 billion was immediately collected to restore Notre Dame whilst minimal $$ has been donated to give the poor housing (housing is a huge issue here these days).
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
Yes LLL, we also have housing problems for the underprivileged. And there are many who spout the same message of, why do we spend vast sums on this and that when there are people in poor accommodation or dependent on food banks.
If we did spend all that money on improving the lot of the poorer classes we would end up with a neutral society where everyone is, near enough, equal......Ring any bells?
I am reminded of a neighbour from many years ago who came to the UK with her two young children, from a country in the former USSR. She told us that her whole city was central heated from huge boilers. You had accommodation that was allocated to you. If you wanted a motor car you would be put on an allocation list and it could be 20 years before you got your Trabant or whatever. The front door of their apartment had an outer solid steel door to prevent access by thieves. There is a name for all that, escapes me just at the moment but I believe it begins with a 'C' :xx
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There is a huge political push here to go after anybody with a Savings Account. Apparently those of us who have a 'house' are PRIVILEGED and should therefore be sharing all that we have worked for with everybody who has nothing........'cept somehow in the real world it never really works like that. Often people have nada cause of their own stupid life choices that they continue to make all the while demanding everybody else hand over.

Our Gov't is however responding big time and has parachuted down fairly close to me a complex of industrial Trailers to house the homeless. We've had 90 criminals + addicts moved in. Our CRIME rate in MY area has gone up 253% since this past November when this complex was moved in. Absolutely NO rules, NO accountability. The neighbours are all up in arms and probably possibly vigilante groups have started as these 90 head out every evening to rob the neighbourhoods. They're even down to stealing pets!!!! Last night alone FIVE businesses were broken into local to me. One they even pulled the bars off the windows. Another was a woman starting a restaurant and putting probably 60+ hours/week to get her business going. She left $800 in the till and that is now gone.

They do have many bleeding hearts who advocate for them i.e. we SHOULD be providing them with FREE heroin, FREE drugs, FREE food (that is already supplied via cooks on taxpayer expense), FREE clothes and on and on. Our Courts are also very soft on them too and more housing complexes like this are being brought in.

Have serious thoughts about selling and heading back to the USA! At least there the Bubba types do maintain law and order and jails are a growing business unlike here where the talk about "reconcilliation" and jails are like luxury resorts.