Grandad's scooter!

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Grandad's scooter!

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad, is your mobility scooter one that folds or do you have to dismantle it to put it in the boot of a car?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Grandad's scooter!

Post by Grandad »

@Ruby Slippers
RS, my little buggy breaks down into 4 pieces. There are no screws, it just unclips.
Mine is The Pride Gogo Traveller Elite plus 3 (3 wheeler) There is also a plus 4. Betterlife at Lloyds Pharmacy stock these and many more and with VAT relief they are well under £600. They have the folding type which are much more expensive and I am not too sure about their range. Also they seem to have very small wheels that are not good even on the slightest unevenness. Here are a few pictures of mine.
Fully assembled, I removed the silly little basket at the front.
And have a useful and much larger bag on the back of the seat
Broken down (takes less than a minute)
Max'm user weight 23 stone. Battery weight 14lbs, total weight assembled with batteries about 110lbs. So heavier than the folding version which, I believe, use different battery type.
The 4 wheeled version. Very good but I like mine for its maneuverability, I can literally get anywhere particularly on my ride into town. There are passageways with chicanes to stop cyclists, but they don't stop me :lol: :lol:

PS: This is rated as 4mph pavement scooter. My wife sometimes says I should get a bigger faster one but no, this meets my needs, I reckon it has a range of up to 6 miles with my 17 stone and I can get around stores like M & S and Boots with no problem. For smaller stores I park it outside and use a folding walking stick that I keep in the saddle bag.
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Many thanks for all the info, Grandad! I've been looking at a couple but the one particular one I like is a little purple 4 wheeler. I tried out a couple but that one seemed the most comfortable for me. I went to Careco in Canterbury, but I'm still mulling the situation over. It does break down into 5 parts. I'll see if I can put a picture on.
Here it is:

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That looks good RS :up And in girlie purple ;)
Is it a Jazzy? If so it is a tad bigger than mine and a fair bit heavier. The
larger battery would give more range (mine are 17ah, Jazzy are 21ah) and it has a bit more ground clearance than mine. There are occasions when my chassis grounds when I go over drainage gulleys in the city :lol:

If you get one we must have a race, mine does 5.4mph flat out with turbo charger switched on :lol: :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Either I never noticed all the scooters around here prior to Grandad getting one or they are becoming more and more popular as lately I've been seeing them daily. They are now everywhere.

I see quite a few here too that are larger with full canopies that totally cover the rider to protect from weather. The covering seems to be a type of plastic but IMO it definitely does make the rider much more visible and gives the appearance of a larger vehicle more substantial vehicle. Lots of these have large baskets at the back. Other than maybe being slower than a car and not being able to travel on the road these are definitely super duper for getting around. I wish our city streets and sidewalks were flatter and smoother and more amenable for these.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

You can buy the canopies separately over here, LLL. Very good for bad weather! The ones in the photos are just portable scooters. Some pavement and road models are much bigger, with all round fairings and go at 8mph. To use them on the road needs a valid driving licence I believe.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Mostly here I see the big ones with the canopies. I think that is maybe because our roads are so rough and because the distances are so great. I have no idea if a drivers licence is needed to use one here but I know if and when I can't drive it is my plan to get one and go tooling about. IMO they seem to be getting better and better all the time and such a great deal to keep people out and about and engaged with their community.

I think what Grandad has is fantastic and 100% ideal. From all that he has indicated with the ease of put together and take apart it is a snap which means more apt to use.

BTW I like the colour of the one you're thinking about too.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

The purple one snaps apart too, LLL. Really easy to put together again too.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We are planning a short break in April to visit some of our industrial heritage. We don't have much of that down south. We will double up the trip by seeing some relatives. And of course, the buggy goes too. :lol: