David's Book Published

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

David's Book Published

Post by Kiya »

I'm very happy and proud of my brother David for getting his book published at last.

It is on Amazon and various other places/shops

I've taken this part from the page on Amazon, the book starts around the mid 1600's

I have been doing my family tree for well over thirty years; it is quite vast. It got to the stage when revising its content, I realized it was all names and dates basically, probably quite boring especially to the younger generations. Therefore I went back to the beginning and started to research individuals and their times and events, then adding them to the tree. I then found it was like reading a book and was quite interesting, with the result that I wrote a completely separate story from the tree. I then added photos that were also of interest to the content. The book starts in the mid-1600s, tracing a fishing family right up to 1947, including hardships, disasters, tragedies, WWI, and WWII. But the story can equally apply to anybody with fishing roots (just change the names). I think it is a heritage to be recorded and should not be lost. 10121

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: David's Book Published

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Congratulations to your brother for his first book!! Is it published Hard/soft copy? Kindle?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

All three LLL, I just checked on Amazon. I have downloaded the Kindle version to read Davids story. :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

:P :P Actually I also just checked too whilst wondering to me 'why didn't I just go to Amazon and look at it myself!' so actually was able to answer my own question after I posted it.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks LLL I shall pass your Congratulations to David... and Thanks Grandad, hope you enjoy the read. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Started reading as a bedtime story Kiya. A lot of research has obviously gone on to find all that information although no doubt David used some authors license to fill in the story. Already interesting though where your maiden name came from :up

I have not gone back to 17th century, just late 18th, but David may encourage me to get back to my own research. I have seafarers on my maternal grandmothers side but they were bargees and coasters, not fishers....
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@ Grandad

He included some pieces from history, mostly relevant to this area just to make the story more interesting, after all they did live through that times.. you could say poetic licence as well and of course in some instances he had to get copyright permission
i.e. newspaper articles, all part of making a story more alive and realistic , in his opinion....

I would think most writers would use both these.................you could include artistic licence as well, not in this case..

David thinks you have a great basis for writing a story along the same lines, he says Barges, Industrial revolution, Canals etc plus Coasters, Coasters were well travelled vessels going all round the coasts of the U.K.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

:lol: Maybe Kiya but I still have my personal memoir of the war years to write yet.....if I ever get to it :lol:
I like Davids poem about The Olive Branch :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

You'll have to crack on Grandad or you'' never get it done .

Thank you ..... Yes he's not to bad at poetry also :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya please tell David I enjoyed reading his book. That is a very long heritage of 'fishers' that you, David and Neil have, but so much sadness from the Cruel Sea. I particularly liked the personal memories of your mum and dad, and all the illustrations of the various herring boats and the actual photographs, added to the story.
So many large families and I confess that I had to concentrate at times to remember who was who. Maybe a few part family trees along the story would have helped me, but that is a personal comment. I am 13 years older than David so I can claim some loss of attention ;)

Oh, and was it your father or grandfather that David mentioned had problems with his legs and walking. It rang a bell with me because, although David never enlarged on it, I thought it might have been chronic peripheral neuropathy, that is the problem I have with my mobility...

BTW, do you speak Dutch? ;) ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad I will pass to David your thoughts on his book. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Yes the sea can be very cruel especially way back in time when it was individual families on the fishing boats.

I would have preferred the photos in the middle of the book but, David did it his way, I expect you noticed the mistakes with punctuation and spelling in parts, he was offered the proof reading but said no to that, as he says "I'm only an amateur and no professional so let it go as it is "

Not only David, Neil there is also Peter, ME, Charles and William you see how the names are carried through out the family tree...........speaking of names I quite like that name Kow, with the spelling it looks so different to what we are used to seeing.

It was my Dad who had problems with his feet, he had hereditary Friedreich ataxia, when a young teenager he went through many operations on the bones of his feet and all his life he had special ankle boots made for him at the hospital which gave some support.

I don't speak Dutch...lol but I wonder if that's where one of my Dad's brother's gets the olive skin :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@ Grandad, David is really pleased you like his book BIG THANKS and

thinks its a very good suggestion about doing something like a graph of generations maybe a

couple of times throughout the book.

He said he would certainly keep that in mind.

Book No 2 hopefully :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, I think I posted this picture in the past but couldn't find it in my album so have uploaded it again.
It is the hull of the oyster yawl Favourite. Registered number F69 which is a Faversham Kent registration.

Constructed in 1890, she is clinker built and the plaque tells something about her and the restoration program.

I have a personal interest in the Favourite because my grandfather who was born in 1886 worked on the Favourite from 1910 and my mothers birth certificate still records him as an oyster dredger in 1913. He was of course in the RNR as David records in his book. At the outbreak of WWI he was immediately called up. He joined the ships company of HMS Cressy as a seaman. Just a few weeks later he drowned when Cressy was sunk by German U boat in the North Sea.
His brother in law and my great uncle, a Royal Navy stoker, also died at sea when HMS Vanguard was sunk in 1917.
So, I too have tragedies at sea in my family but nothing like the scale of loss in your own family Kiya.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya wrote:@ Grandad, David is really pleased you like his book BIG THANKS and

thinks its a very good suggestion about doing something like a graph of generations maybe a

couple of times throughout the book.

He said he would certainly keep that in mind.

Book No 2 hopefully :)
Kiya, I only made the comment as an observation because, with such large families, I did have to concentrate hard to remember who was who. But as you say, large families continued with you being one of six....
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

No worries Grandad , I had to think at times too of who was who ;)

I'm copying your above post and sending to David, he never fails to surprise me of what he

knows, you never know he might know something about the above boat.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya I have already told above about how my maternal grandfather died at sea.
His wife's maiden name was Madams. Her father George Madams (my great grandfather) b1857, was captain of a barge. His barge was moored at Greenwich and when he returned one night, well drunk, he fell between the vessel and the quayside and drowned.
His father also George Madams (my gt gt grandfather) b1836, was captain of the coaster 'Bethesda' from Whitstable. This foundered off Portsmouth with him and four of his crew drowning.
So my three grandfathers on my maternal line, all died in the sea but for different reasons. I am hesitant about going back further, the signs so far are not good.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Keep going Grandad it can only get better...........hopefully.

It's a good thing we don't know our own fates .

David will be here Sat so will let him see your info above,