Measles Outbreak & Vaccinations

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Measles Outbreak & Vaccinations

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems there has been a measles outbreak in the Pacific Northwest here. Am saying Pacific Northwest as the outbreak started in the States and now they've got 9 confirmed cases in Vancouver BC and, at least, one on the Island.

Since the outbreak has been announced it has re-energized the conversation re: Immunizations. Some parents do and some parents don't. Now there seems to be coming a policy whereby kids who are not immunized will not be allowed into schools. This has got all the Anti-vaxers up in arms shouting "My Rights" and touting the line they can do with their child what they decide.

Personally I did vaccinate my daughters and I know the daughter vaccinates the grandkids and I even go religiously ever year for a flu vaccine.

Question of the day is - should a parent have the right to decide vaccinate yes or no? and/or should School Districts have the ability to require all students be vaccinated as a prerequisite to getting into school?

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Measles Outbreak & Vaccinations

Post by Ruby Slippers »

We have the same pressure to vaccinate or not over here too. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. My younger son and wife were pressured into having their son vaccinated, which they didn't want to do. He has since been diagnosed with Aspbergers. However, I have seen at first hand the devastating effect that measles can have, so I stand between a rock and a hard place over it. :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think there is a tiny percentage of chlidren who may have an adverse reaction to a vaccination however in my opinion the vast majority do not.

That mass immunizations have almost eliminated some truly devastatingly horrible diseases is well worth vaccinating the masses.

When I was a child I got everything measles, chicken pox, mumps and lived with no adverse anything other than being sick while I had them but some are not so lucky.

The debate is going hot and heavy here. I know I fall on the side of 'give them the shot' but ???
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was considered too fragile as a baby to have any shots. I had most of the usual bugs at primary school except mumps which I had when I was 36 years old - badly.

I am also allergic to Tetanus shots, but that is because every time I had a bad dog or cat bite while working in quarantine kennels I was given anti tetanus. A total of 6 times in 18 months instead of the antibiotic I needed.

#1 daughter had her shots with no problem but #2 had a violent alergic skin reaction to the first one so no more and she did the same with her first course of penicillin.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - interesting re: allergic reactions. I have no allergies however both the daughters are allergic to penicillin. The one daughter is also allergic to sulpha and the other also allergic to tetracycline with all the red rash hive skin bumps after the very first pill. Far as I know though none of the Grandkids have the same allergies.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

My sister was medically tested and found to be allergic to 84 things including paper!

I'm reactive to anything eaten that comes from a cow or buffalo, tree pollens and moulds and fungus

Number one daughter animal hair, not dander, most drugs including paracetamol, dairy products but not penicillin. Her sister - not animals, but dairy, penicillin and various drugs and chocolate.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I find it interesting that us humans have not evolved to be NON-allergic to stuff like dairy, dust, animals etc. to all the environmental stuff of yesteryear that we encountered in our every day world. Always seems interesting too re: who gets what in a family.