Saw this downtown

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Saw this downtown

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The other day when I went to downtown Puerto Vallarta I finally caught these guys doing their Act or dance or ritual (not exactly sure what they call it). I've missed this several times but this time I got off the bus & walked down the street just in time to catch them flying around the top of the pole and coming down. Didn't see the fellow who sits on top of the pole and plays the flute doing anything (missed that part). Love their outfits and wish I knew more about what they're doing.

Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Re: Saw this downtown

Post by Hurghadapat »

LLL....here's the story behind it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danza_de_los_Voladores
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

YES!!! :up :up :up That is it and them - the Voladores. I haven't ever seen them go UP the pole or the fellow at the top do anything other than play the flute (always seem to miss this) but this is them. I got there to see them already swinging coming down.

I do know that apparently this is a group that does this entirely for 'tips' as the City or Tourism branch doesn't pay them and that I saw on a brochure for who to tip and who not to tip (i.e. taxi drivers here do not expect a tip while bellboys, waiters, housekeepers do). Just round it interesting that Taxi drivers don't expect one.

Thanks for the link! :) That is them.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:YES!!! :up :up :up That is it and them - the Voladores. I haven't ever seen them go UP the pole or the fellow at the top do anything other than play the flute (always seem to miss this) but this is them. I got there to see them already swinging coming down.

I do know that apparently this is a group that does this entirely for 'tips' as the City or Tourism branch doesn't pay them and that I saw on a brochure for who to tip and who not to tip (i.e. taxi drivers here do not expect a tip while bellboys, waiters, housekeepers do). Just round it interesting that Taxi drivers don't expect one.

Thanks for the link! :) That is them.
Pleased to have satisfied your curiosity :D