What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - you definitely did avert a disaster and those are the kind of unexpected not anticipated accidents that I worry about in that I NEVER really worry about a fire in the dryer!! Who does but 'wow' that was a close one.

Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Roses for HurghadaPat :rs :rs :rs

And

Roses for RS :rs :rs :rs too just cause your week sounds awful! I can't stand it when appliances break. Such a pain and inconvenience and so much bother to have to run here there and everywhere trying to find fits. As for teeth - OMG - I've had so much dental work and still one by one my teeth just keep deteriorating. They just randomly break and chip. Hope having it pulled wasn't too bad and definitely hope you're able to find a hot water heater that fits your spot.

As for today I'm boiling the Christmas turkey bones to make soup. I froze them all after Christmas but since I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for soups and stuff I decided it was time to get some soup stock made so I can make a few batches of soup for ready meals. Other than that I've been watching Nat Geo on TV re: The Galapagos. Always interesting.

Have refrained from joining the great debate going locally online re: shoveling snow off our sidewalks. There are City bylaws that say snow has to be removed from sidewalks within 24 hour otherwise there is a $109 fine. And needless it is dangerous to walk on the roads around here when ther eare no cleared sidewalks however the issue is - you can go out and clear off your sidewalk only to have the plough come through and recover all your work. Second is it really never does snow here that much and typically it will melt in short order so do we really need Bylaw Enforcement to come through and start levying fines for anybody who doesn't clear off their sidewalk? OR should we all just tolerate the snow, take extra care, put up with the inconvenience of not having clear sidewalks? (And I do realize that for some snowy sidewalks means they're housebound)
@ LLL..... :a32: :thanks: :bl:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today is a new holiday day here - "Family Day" It was instituted to give a holiday between Christmas/New Years and Easter but it is also just a Provincial Holiday so won't be able to do any of my regular stuff i.e. get to the Bank, Shop etc 'til tomorrow.

Yesterday was sunny and warm so most of the snow is gone. Some of it still hanging about but I think it is supposed to be warmish today so hopefully the melt will continue.

Daughter #1 would like me to make her a quilted covering for her hot water bottle so am thinking I'll tackle that today. I don't have a pattern but I do have one in my mind so shouldn't be too difficult to extract it (I hope). Her sister is going in the next month to visit her so gotta have it done by then so she can take it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Hurghadapat
@FBLUX
Now come on girls, you wouldn't give me your addresses........I'll see what I can do on MOTHERS DAY :up :lol: :lol:

Todays highlight, a trip into town to collect a prescription........and they got that wrong :xx

Yesterday was eye appointment and eye injection day. The fluid behind the retina is under control but the doc wants me to go 10 weeks and not 12 between injections. That's OK. Just waiting for an appointment for laser treatment to reduce the pressures in the eyes to slow the development of glaucoma. I am beginning to regret getting old (er) ;) :lol:
:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Daughter #1 would like me to make her a quilted covering for her hot water bottle so am thinking I'll tackle that today.
Interesting you mention 'hotties' LLL. Hot water bottles were one of a range of products manufactured by the company I finished my working employment with. The company no longer exists but in there time from the forties to the nineties, they were the largest manufacturer of hotties in the world; until overtaken by the Chinese.... :(
In 1998 I went with a colleague to a trade fair in Chicago to promote our wares. Selling hotties to Americans was the hardest job you could imagine.....They just didn't seem to GET them?
So, I was a little surprised when you mentioned that your sister has one?
I think they are great on a cold night......but I would, wouldn't I? ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Daughter #1 lives in Quebec and it is SUPER cold there. Not too sure when she got her hot water bottle but uses it nightly to warm up the feet end of her bed. As it is a brick red plastic bottle I'm thinking she wants something softer yet warmer to put her feet on.

I've never had one but they are somewhat popular here in that I do see them in the prescription section of stores but how many sell are unknown to me. I also know that the ones sold here have a "Made in Germany" stamp on them so I'm guessing we're avoiding the Chinese made bottles.

No idea why they wouldn't be popular in the cold(er) areas of the USA and/or why they didn't embrace whatever it takes to take the chill off a cold bed. I tend to like the bedroom cold when I sleep so I don't usually mind getting into a cold bed. If/when it is really cold I tend to wear wool socks myself.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I know the bottle you mean LLL. It is injection moulded PVC. We used to make similar ones as well as the traditional rubber. Only thing about the PVC version, they can get a bit hard after long service.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Since we're on the topic of water bottles it did get me to wondering why more people don't use them. I think many like having a nice toasty warm bed. I remember the phase when electric blankets used to be the in thing to have but they've now gone by the way as too many dangers of wires breaking. Personally I love my big old feather filled blankie. It almost always is warm although sometimes too warm.

Guess it comes down to what is your preference: Feathers? Quilt? Wool Blanket? Hot water bottle? Heavy flannel pjs? Window open or closed? and night time temperature up or down?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

There was a period LLL when some manufacturers marketed Gel filled bottles that were heated in a microwave. Unfortunately there were some accidents when the container burst with the gel causing serious burns. We never made that type and stuck to the Britsh Standard 1940 type for which we held a BS Kite Mark.
Various grains were also tried and although some of these are still on the market, I don't think they retain the heat as well or for as long as good old H2O. A cover is a good idea because it reduces the risk of burns and keeps the heat longer.
At least you have full control of a 'hot water bottle' and they have always been a comfort to young ladies at those 'certain times'

But I never use a hottie, I have an all seasons duvet that I use all year......
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I actually bought a hot water bottle in Luxor one cold winter many years ago. Because the walls there are mostly single thickness those winter nights can feel pretty cold.

I love a hottie, In fact I bought 6 new ones last year. I remember bottles bursting in my bed when I was a kid, so like to replace them sooner rather than later.
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I use a hot water bottle every night in the Winter. It has a quilted cover which I made a couple of years ago.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

By the way I bought 6 bottles because I put them in the spare beds to keep them "aired". ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I managed to track down a new water heater which DH duly collected this morning. Now all we've got to do is tie it in with the gas fitter! I know he's extremely busy at the moment but I'm really hoping that I have hot water again by the end of the week. Then it's out and about to choose a new tumble dryer and washing machine. I decided that I might as well have both while I'm at it. I have looked at washer/dryers but they haven't had very good reviews so I guess it will be separates again, although I will definitely be looking for a condenser dryer rather than a vented one. I'm getting too old to keep climbing to put the pipe out of the window! :D
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Ruby Slippers wrote:I managed to track down a new water heater which DH duly collected this morning. Now all we've got to do is tie it in with the gas fitter! I know he's extremely busy at the moment but I'm really hoping that I have hot water again by the end of the week. Then it's out and about to choose a new tumble dryer and washing machine. I decided that I might as well have both while I'm at it. I have looked at washer/dryers but they haven't had very good reviews so I guess it will be separates again, although I will definitely be looking for a condenser dryer rather than a vented one. I'm getting too old to keep climbing to put the pipe out of the window! :D
Don't get a washer/dryer they are not efficient plus if you have two loads of washing you either have to let first load sit and wait while you wash second load or wash one lot and dry it then do second lot.....much better getting separate appliances,just don't forget to keep emptying the water container from the dryer.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Hot water bottles are great so long as they don't burst in the bed :lol:

I like a cool room and cool bed so don't use either a hot water bottle or an electric blanket.....just a goose feather and down duvet and have a winter and summer one so can swop them round when temps alter.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Grandad wrote:@Hurghadapat
@FBLUX
Now come on girls, you wouldn't give me your addresses........I'll see what I can do on MOTHERS DAY :up :lol: :lol:

Todays highlight, a trip into town to collect a prescription........and they got that wrong :xx

Yesterday was eye appointment and eye injection day. The fluid behind the retina is under control but the doc wants me to go 10 weeks and not 12 between injections. That's OK. Just waiting for an appointment for laser treatment to reduce the pressures in the eyes to slow the development of glaucoma. I am beginning to regret getting old (er) ;) :lol:

Forgiven... :bl:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@HurghadaPat - I'm with you re: cool bedroom and feather blankets. I love them myself :) and have the same set up.

Hovering at just above freezing today so the great melt off is continuing. A gf was tentatively coming over for a cuppa this morning but her elderly Dad has just been taken to hospital via ambulance so our coffee & chat will have to happen another day. Scratching my head what to do now - thinking, thinking.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Well, I really had hopes that I would be able to post and tell you all that I had hot water at last, but, alas, this is not to be! :cry: We have the heater, but no gas fitter! :( He gave us a time at 12.30pm of 3pm, then phoned and said nearer to 4pm but here we are at 5pm and zilch!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I really don't like the entire "experience" of an appliance breaking. I don't like have to shop for a new appliance and try and figure out which ones are good/bad/maybe lemons/energy efficient etc. I don't like have to wait for the store to then get it and ship it to me, have it delivered and installed and then mess with getting rid of the old appliances. Even once the new appliance is here I don't like having to wait for Appliance guys to come and hook them all up. Nothing short of an entire pain that seems always to play out over a month or so.

@RS & HurghadaPat - I'm not understanding something - 1 machine that both washes and dries? Are you meaning the washer is on the bottom and the dryer is on top? (I don't think this is what you mean)....... Here there are only two separate machines. One for washing, one for drying. I don't believe I've ever seen one that does both and when I was looking for a washer/dryer this past summer I did see for the first time "condensing" ones that didn't need to be vented outside. I didn't like that idea so didn't get that particularly as they are just being introduced here which means if anything wasn't working there are absolutely no repairmen anywhere.

Today I'm off to the Dentist at 1pm. I think I have another tooth going bad so will head in and see what is up. I can just hear the words "you need a root canal" already. I'm not sure I have any teeth left that do not have root canals in them. UGH!

We're still melting and a tiny touch sunny today but snow is so high I can't see if any crocus or snow drops of anything are peeking out yet.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

@LLL....yes you can get a machine that washes and dries but as i said the dryer is not very efficient so better off with seperate ones.Condensing dryers are good as it means you can site them anywhere and don't have to worry about either being close to a window that you can shove the hose out of or putting it against an outside wall then having a hole made to vent it outside.

Hope all went well when you visited the dentist,like you i think just about all my back teeth have had root canal work done on them then crowns over the top.Lol...keep my dentist in a grand life style with all the money i have paid him.