What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Grandad »

Oh! Forgot to mention. Brought in the last of the tomatoes today. I stripped the vines and put the last fruits on newspaper on my workshop bench a couple of weeks ago. I put half a banana among them and covered them with newspaper. Over the last couple of weeks they have gradually ripened until this morning there were just 4 still green that were binned. Overal quite a successful harvest of the small Red Cherries. :up

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Tomatoes tomatoes EVERYWHERE and not a neighbour I can bribe to take more! I only planted 3 plants but had a bumper crop and have been flogging off tomatoes to everybody everywhere. I brought in the last yesterday most of which have a slight tinge to yellow/orange so I'm pretty sure they'll ripen. I wish I could grow tomatoes all year 'round as I definitely like my own way better than what I get in the stores. I tend to eat probably 5 tomatoes per week and about 4 red peppers. Love both of them in my salads and wraps.

Guess it is cause it is just me but I rarely 'cook' for me however I do eat lots of raw food. I'm famous for cooking a large turkey or chicken and then freezing most of it into small portions for easy unthawing and meals.

Today I was up early and out to Pottery. I got permission to do a 'make up' session since I missed the one on Thursday. Didn't get anything back that was finished though but maybe by this Thursday when I go again.

The sun is out today, just having a cup of coffee now and thinking what else I'll get up to doing. I do have a few plants I need to transplant out of pots and into the garden. I also have 3 geraniums I guess I could take cuttings off of but I really have nowhere to keep them all winter so I guess I'll let them freeze.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I took six cuttings off my Coleus plant which has now reached a great size and I will be sad when it has to be binned as it looks superb at about 20" across and full of colour. Hopefully some of them will strike and I can keep one, my daughter has asked for another so if they all take root then I will need to find them a new home. I also collected some Nasturtium seeds for my daughter that I know will flower a bright Yellow and some that will hopefully be Yellow veined with Orange, I will just have to see how they come up when she plants them in the Spring at her home.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus I liberated 2 cuttings in total of the bronze coleus in front of the pottery studio. I shoved both of them into the Betta aquarium and the first one has already rooted. The second cutting I took a week later looks to be starting some roots. I'll plant them into the same pot soon as the second one roots and hopefully they'll maintain well over the winter so I can get them outside in the spring.

On another note my begonia (from a tuber) is now yellowing up. Do I break the branches off? or would I be better to throw the entire plant into the soil bag ....... last year I think I put the entire plant into the garage and then a month or so later I wanted the soil and ended up throwing the tuber into the soil where it sat all winter. I don't remember what I did with the long spindly branches but I think I let them just die back.

And speaking of Begonias - it reminds me that we haven't seen Mad Dilys specifically since: Sat Jul 27, 2019 which is quite a while. Has anybody heard from her at all? Hopefully she is Ok.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We are certainly not cinema goers but yesterday afternoon we went to see the film 'Downton Abbey'
All the familiar characters and their actors are in the cast. It is a decent enough presentation and it brings the whole story to an appropriate end........I hope. Like in every fairy story, 'And They All Lived Happily Ever After' ;) ;)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Grandad very glad you are enjoying the new scooter.

I never waste green tomatoes I just chuck a few into home made soup. Had to pick another kg of ripe cherry tomatoes today but a lot more still to go. Have 4.5 litres of sauce in the freezer now as well as over a kg of chopped tomatoes!

I have taken quite a few coleus cuttings which are in water at the moment so hopefully they will root. A friend came over & took loads of surplus plants on Saturday as well as seeds. I hate throwing good plants away but inherited them with the garden and although they filled spaces at first I am trying to get more selective now.

We have a showing of Downton Abbey at the local cinema here on 27th October so hope to get there that evening, only problem is showing starts at 9 by which time we have normally settled in for the evening.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A bit of a catch up on what we have been up to........nothing exciting I can assure you, no holidays, no nice restaurant meals, just getting to that time of year when it is necessary to flash up the boiler in the late afternoon :( Winter is not far away and the autumn leaves are beginning to fall.
On Monday Mrs G collected her new 'Hearing Appliances' She refused the ear trumpet that I bought in a charity shop. ;) :lol:
I am in awe at the level of miniaturisation of these things. A marvel of micro electronics. I am a little uneasy because Mrs G never 'burns her bridges' and always leaves the 'send it back' option available. :lol: :lol:
On Tuesday I started a new bottle of eye drops, a new brand not seen before. WELL, it is such a lousy dropper that even the instructions say that you may have to wait a few moments for the drop to, well, drop. I was counting up to 20 and still no drop so I went to Boots Pharmacy to complain and ask them to give me my usual brand. I checked prices on the NICE listing and my usual one is £6.33, the new one is £12,09. We have said before that the NHS needs some proffessional buyers who will beat down prices instead of paying whatever is asked :xx
Last evening the toilet in the bathroom refused to flush. I knew exactly what the problem would be so spent some time this morning dis-assembling the cistern. I will replace all the interior which will guarantee I will never have that problem again with that cistern. I have ordered all the parts from Screwfix for collection tomorrow. £32 when a £2 item would have done the job, The advantage of what I am buying is that it will now be 'dual flush' where it was only single flush.
No rude comments please as to WHY we need a dual flush ... ;) :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Good Luck on fixing your cistern, I remember not too long ago when Roy took my cistern off the wall to replace everything inside, OMG ! the mess and who had all the cleaning afterwards :(

I must say its been working great since :)

For the last couple it's been much chillier up here & like yourself heating , lights on far to early.

I'm surprised to read you have to pay for your subscriptions , wonder if that will change for you after Brexit.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:10 am I'm surprised to read you have to pay for your subscriptions , wonder if that will change for you after Brexit.
@Kiya
No Kiya, I don't have to pay, I am making the point that the same eye drops from different manufacturers can cost significantly more. My criticism is towards the very poor purchasing within the NHS. They are always claiming lack of funds but with some strong procurement they could save millions. It seems that any government department simply pays what is asked without any negotiation.
You wouldn't buy something in Egypt without bartering the price down. Even my 'new' scooter, I Negotiated a price favourable to me. ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Off to Probus and then on to Pottery today ....... busy busy busy ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

First job this morning is to re-assemble the bathroom toilet cistern. I collected all the new components from Screwfix yesterday so no excuse now but to get it fixed. ;)
Then, if I feel inclined, I shall fit a new 13amp twin switched socket in the garage. There is one there but it is not switched. :( The new one will allow me to leave both scooter chargers permanently plugged in so I can just switch on as required. Strictly speaking the old socket is not legal. :(
And that will probably be me for today.
;) :lol:
The weather is getting much cooler, winter is not far away :xx
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Raining and going to head out for a quick cuppa & chat with a couple girlfriends. Today all the inside house plants are getting checked (I don't think anybody needs re-potting or anything like that but will check) for winter. Also need to iron out a big whack of fabric I need to cut up into strips for another quilt.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was looking at the weather forecast for Cardiff the other day and the history read that "In the past 30 years, it rained 21 out of 30 times on this day" they forecast the same tomorrow. Good Growing weather. ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I spent 3 or 4 hours pottering around outside this morning. Clearing some of the pots, taking a few cuttings, tidying the patio and garage and preparing some items for 'Necessary Furniture to collect to recycle. Couldn't have done all that 8 weeks ago before the pacemaker. My heart seems to be working properly again. :up :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Way cool that you're noticing a difference and in the right direction too! (Positive)!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Some of the family are meeting up at a pub for lunch. 11 people in all which will include a grandson and his sister with their respective boy/girlfriends. Problem with a largish group, you don't have much opportunity to chat individually. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Got home last night at midnight. Flights were good but long day of travel to getting home.

Was up at 7:30am and feeling really rested so after a morning coffee I zipped out to vote (Early voting) in our Federal Election and then hit the stores to stock up on food. Canadian Thanksgiving is tomorrow so I was a bit worried the stores would be totally full of last minute shoppers but interestingly they were not busy. Plus I got most of everything on my list I wanted. (Sometimes pre-holiday the stores are sold out and the trucks haven't arrived to replenish).

Got my coleus and begonias I rooted planted plus I bought in my one tuberous begonia from outside. The tuber is HUGE! It has grown almost the entire width of the 6" pot. Am thinking I should slice it in half or maybe even into fours but right now I'm just drying it out for replanting next year.

Called the daughter around 2pm-ish and they were still lolling about and catching up rest-wise from their week away.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Very strong winds forecast here and our arch in the garden was so heavily laden with the climbers I was afraid it would go over so we cut all the Morning Glory & Egyptian Beans off. Managed to safely extricate the Chocolate Vine which was growing there, unearthed a very sorry clematis which may survive. Unfortunately we had left it too late & in the process of clearing it realised the arch already buckled with the weight and wind! It has now been removed and will have to be replaced before next year. Will move the 2 perennials to a better location and leave the new arch for annuals. It was a rather old well travelled arch as we had it in Egypt for several years & its been here since the beginning of 2018.