What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Grandad »

Excellent lunch today with a former neighbour friend. Seafood at Chapmans of course, our number one favourite restaurant. ;)

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

As it wasn't raining today I would out in the garden pulling weeds. Got quite a few that were just tucked here and there. Have lots of peas but they're not quite ready to pick yet, lettuce is starting to bolt and I got the first ripe tomato of the season (granted it was only a Sweet 100)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Still working on my caravan bathroom modification, its been really hot working in such a tight space, getting there ...... slowly.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We have a conflict of sporting interests today and tomorrow.
2pm today, BBC1, Wimbledon Ladies final. 2pm today, Channel4, Silverstone qualification for the British F1 Grande Prix.

2pm tomorrow, BBC1, Wimbledon mens final. 2pm tomorrow, Channel4, Siverstone British F1 Grande Prix.

Fortunately we have large screen TV's upstairs and downstairs so there will be no arguments about who has priority.
:lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus - been reading your caravan reno work and I'd imagine getting the space to do something would be the most difficult aspect. Always easy to do something in an open spot with work surfaces but I'd imagine getting into smaller spots makes it just that much more difficult.

@Grandad Ahh the perks of a dual TV household! :)) I have more than 1 TV as well and when the crew is here that has solved many a problem.

:bar3: :bar3: :bar3: :bar3: :bar3:

Warm enough today IF the sun will come out. Not exactly sure what all I'll be up to yet - been trying to link with one gf re: the three of us getting tickets to go see Mama Mia but am thinking she is off on a holiday. Then there is going on right now a huge summer sand sculpting contest in the next town up. They have huge volcanic beaches and every summer host a contest that is a major tourist attraction. The judging should happen today but that means mega crowds so not too sure I want to stroll up there. Might get into the car and see what Garage Sales are happening although yesterday I didn't see any signs out so not sure that is worth the gas in the car just to go search. Daughter, SIL & crew are all on holidays and have been doing a whole bunch of day trips hither thither and yon so they're not about as this is their last weekend - so so so - kinda scratching my head and thinking about what to do.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have a TV in every room plus one in my caravan. :oops:
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

RS I don't know whether it will help you but when my son had a no fault accident a few years ago he had the same problem. Woman even admitted to the Police that she had pulled out without looking & wrote his motor bike off. Her Insurance company agreed to pay but hung on to the money for months. Eventially I produced an invoice for travel charges based on taking and collecting him from work. 30 + miles each way twice a day, they paid up immediately on receipt as they realised it was costing them money!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I hate insurance companies. There is also the small micro-print that just adds to aggravation all 'round. Can't believe that with the woman admitting fault they haven't just paid up. I'd be keeping track of every penny too and sending them invoices as to what it is costing you without having a vehicle.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Both good ideas, I would also add that you may even try telling them that as you are not legally bound to settle this claim via an insurance company, that you now intend to take out a private prosecution against that person for the damage and the compensation for any losses.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well I'm back in Ibiza for a few weeks - its been 30C today nice, but humid of course as nowhere here is far from the sea.

The family are currently doing last minute packing as they are off tomorrow early for their Italian Lakes holiday.

I arranged roaming before I left the UK - the problem is that we don't have enough signal here to open it. So looks like a visit to the town in the morning and see if I can get it opened with a stronger signal. If not then a very long wait at the Phone shop to get a new cheap phone that works. I won't be using it very often, hopefully.

In the fish pond there are about half a dozen frogs who all dive as soon as they see me except for one, a bit smaller than the others, who loves to sit in the middle of the water lily leaves. I had to push him out of the way when I netted the leaves off the water surface today. He soon climbed back up and looked at me as if to say "You don't get rid of me that easily" We had lots of frogs in our ponds before, but I've never had a tame one.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Enjoy your new visit and keep in touch. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When I was in Lower Quebec one of the stores had this sign so, of course, it did remind me of you @Mad Dilys The store itself actually sold very lovely hats ;)
DSCN0222.JPG
DSCN0223.JPG
:bar3: :bar3: :bar3: :bar3: :bar3:

Today I was on the hunt got get a plant, almost ANY plant to get into the last empty ceramic planter I have out back. It IS in full hot sun and I don't really know why it has been taking me forever to find something for that pot but it has been. Today I found a "Heavenly Bamboo" (Nandina Domestica) that is now residing in a pot. I'm aware this will only work for a few years but that is ok by me. I've never grown one of these before but I like the look of the plant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I swear @Mad Dilys you and I are somehow on the same wave length. Read E4U where you mentioned the frog then went out to water the plants out front and there sitting on top of the front leaf of the one group of Hostas was a little frog. He didn't move while I watered the plants but had moved under a leaf by the time I went back in to go and get the camera.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
What I really don't get is HOW this guy got to where he/she is. He is on a leaf of a Hosta beside the garage surrounded by patio ringed basically by gravel. No where even close to water or trees.
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
Go figure how this guy go to where he is but there he was quite happy to sit and watch me water everything with the watering can and didn't even mind that I flicked a small bit of water onto him (poured the water onto my hand and then flicked it at him.) Will have to see if he is still out there tomorrow. I have a feeling he has sure traveled far to get to where he is now living.

On another note @Mad Dilys IF I'm to become the recipient of what you do animal-wise hows about start thinking re: Cairn Terrier young dog. Not a puppy although if that is where your thoughts & actions go I won't resist but hows about having some interactions with a small terrier type dog please........ :up :up :up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today am waiting right now for a Landscaper/Brick & Block Layer guy to appear to have a look in the backyard re: putting up a retaining wall in the far corner.

Then the crew is coming over after swimming lessons for lunch and we'll do something this afternoon. Blueberries are ripening so they'll be happy to go and chow down on the ripe ones.

This evening I get a tour via Community Policing of our local Police Detachment plus a meeting afterwards. Going to be a busy one today.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A trip into town to collect my latest scrip from Boots the Chemists.

Heres a little puzzle for Horus that came to my mind when I left the store. Boots store is slightly elevated and when I come away I have a slight downward slope to street level. I only need the throttle slightly open and can hear the motor on over run.
Question: Is it likely that the motor is then acting as a generator and putting a small amount of power back into the battery? ;)
I am still corresponding with damc134. One of his problems has been to locate a family home in the early 1900's. I obtained an Ordnance Survey map for 1906 of the most likely area. It is the same area as some of my ancestors. I found the street on the map and by going to Google maps have been able to find the road which now has a different name due to it being a private road.
So a combination of an old map and a current Google map has probably solved the problem. This is a map of part of Whitstable and on the reverse, the map maker (this is a repro copy) has printed a potted history of the town and its fishing and oysters history, plus a listing of some residents of the day. All for £2.10, money well spent.
:up :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Going to the Dentist to have a crown replaced. UGH......hopefully all will go well and easy.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

OMG, I suspect that Horus is off with the tourer. But is everyone else off on their hols?
I have not got anything to contribute so I expect we are all in the same situation. :tk

Yesterday my #2 son was available to do a taxi job for us. We did several calls around town getting all the shopping done, including a visit to B & Q for some 'Boys Stuff' bits and pieces.
I do find that B & Q is no longer the inexpensive DIY store it used to be. A small 250ml tin of PU varnish was £10. For many items I prefer to go to their trade division Screwfix, where prices for the same items are very much cheaper.
While at Sainsburys my son and I went for a short walk along the river which was looking very peaceful and the water was crystal clear.
IMG_20190717_112000.jpg
The day before, Tuesday, I had a telcon with my doctor who said he needed a blood test and would leave the form with reception. After dropping my wife home we collected the form and went direct to haematology at the hospital. Nobody waiting so we were in and out in minutes. :up

And that is about as exciting as my days are just now. But daughter will be on school holiday from tomorrow so she will become our chauffeur for a few weeks. ;) :up :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No not off in the van just yet Grandad, but I have been very busy with the modifications to it's shower room, nearly finished now thank goodness. :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad Very pretty river photo.

Last night I was at a kinda informal community get together meeting to review the status of our world and ostensibly to propose solutions to 'fix it.' After hearing the stats and what all is happening it is now more depressing that ever.

Tonight I'm off to the Summer Social for Volunteer Community Policing at the Yacht Club. Not sure if I'm supposed to dress up so I'll ditch the blue jeans and put on casual slacks ;)

Weather forecast isn't great for today. Sun was out earlier but now going behind clouds and rain is lurking. Hopefully it will hold off until after the Social but if not I guess we'll all just stay inside. I'll also be the official photographer so am hoping to get a few really good shots of everybody.

Yesterday was out and stopped for a cuppa at the local Grocer Store which has a fairly decent garden area. They'd just in a whole bunch of new house plants. A Korean Rock Fern called my name so he ended up coming home with me and is now sitting in the orchid space.
DSC_0003.JPG
As for the orchids - I've had the 3 of them in one space since I got them which is fairly promenant off the kitchen. Now they're relegated more and more to the bedroom. Whatever growing conditions they need and after close to 3 years I don't have them so they're one step closer to the bin.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I won't upset you LLL by telling you that two of my Moth Orchids are about to flower again and they are loaded with buds and a 3rd one is starting you put out a flower spike, my latest yellow one is still in full flower. :up