What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today is refuse collect day. Last night I put out my food recycling bin, my general recycling bag then found that some one had emptied my wheelie bin into a donated small dustbin and taken the big wheelie bin.

The refuse collectors will not collect from the small bin - and anyway it's got a lot of "water" in it and I can't move it. I took the bags out and still can't move it there is a sodden sleeping bag in there and I don't think its covered with rainwater - it stinks.

So I have to buy another big bin, and pay the council to remove the bags and small bin as a special task, which will probably be £50 all told. Happy days, 8)

Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

The things people do never fail to amaze me! If it were me, I would march to the local council, refuse to pay and demand another one! After all, they do charge for rubbish removal in your rates!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Unfortunately replacement Wheelie bins are charged for by most councils, but the recycling ones are usually free if damaged. Maybe if MD were to phone the council and explain that it was stolen after it was left out for collection they may be sympathetic and replace it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Mad Dilys Can sympathize with your garbage collection matter. Our prima donna Garbage collectors won't touch anything that doesn't exactly 'fit' their garbage agenda. We now have hordes of drug addicted homeless going through our garbage soon as the bins are put out. They're looking for bottles to turn in to get the pennies back and/or they're looking for something with a name or ID on it. Typically they toss stuff about and make a huge mess i.e. rip open the plastic bags and as soon as they do that our Garbage Collectors won't pick it up. We now have auto truck that pick up the entire bin and dump it so "WHY" does it have to be bagged.

Our bins now are all new, big and expensive so they're also routinely being stolen by the homeless cause the wheels on them make them easily transportable. Our Police do NOTHING related to garbage and our City basically shrugs.

Hopefully you can get it all easily sorted there. Nothing like finding sodden down sleeping bags in your dumpster. If that was here I wouldn't touch it as everything here seems laced with fentanyl so careful if you do end up having to touch it.

Today I'm watching TV, drinking a cuppa and going over my list of what all I might need as am leaving early this evening for a week to Quebec to visit the oldest daughter. I fly out tonight which counts as 1 day and same when I return it as I'm leaving there at 6am but it counts as another day so really I'm only there for 5 days. As per the daughter the heat and humidity have turn on so am really not totally sure what to wear. I can take heat but humidity kills me. We're doing touristy stuff in the mornings and then chilling in the afternoon. I'm only taking my small hand held camera as I've opted to only lug a carry-on suitcase with me so space and weight is a consideration. She has a decent camera so I'm taking one of my memory cards for her camera and will then use her camera (maybe).
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Have a nice break and yes do take some pictures :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I hope you have a lovely time with your daughter LLL :up

I filled in an on line form this morning to the council not expecting much, but after I went to the City this afternoon I returned to find all the bags of trash in my front garden had been removed. The small bin is still there at the moment, but the Deli who have a big green bin right next to my garden wall had that emptied and stolen last night. I wonder how much that will cost to replace?

I was impressed with the Council, I had asked them what I should do about the refuse sacks as the seagulls like to tear them open. Usually they will not come into the front gardens so I appreciated that they did it and left all clean and clear so quickly.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good result then :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Way cool MD.

I'm sitting in Toronto waiting for my flight to Quebec City. Close to a 30 minute walk where I landed to the Gate I am departing from but at least I am still in the same Terminal. Have waited 1 hour and only 2 more to go to the last leg. Really foggy out and lots of flights delayed but I am 'a la heure' aka 'm time.'
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Have a lovely trip LLL, I can see you now sitting with a coffee waiting for your connection :a72:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Hope you brushed up on your French while you were waiting LLL ;)
Enjoy your trip to Quebec and tell us about that city on your return.
At least Starbucks takings will be up this week :lol:
:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mrs G's new ipad arrived today. I left it until this evening to set it up for her and Apple have got all that sorted. You just indicate that you want the set up the same as the previous ipad, place them close together, go and make a cuppa and the job is done.
Everything on the new ipad is exactly the same as the old one. For security reasons I DID have to input the passwords for the apps she uses.
She is a happy bunny and I have an ipad to play with (just might need to keep it plugged into my power bank as the reason for the new one was failing battery ;) )
Just ordered a new case from Amazon. I don't have Prime so delivery would be £4.99. I opted for click and collect from my local post office on Friday, £1.99, suits me sir. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Shame that they are so difficult to change the battery in them, unlike the i-phones which are relatively easy to do.
What model is your old one Grandad?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:21 pm Shame that they are so difficult to change the battery in them, unlike the i-phones which are relatively easy to do.
What model is your old one Grandad?
Horus I know the more expensive versions can have a battery change while you wait at an Apple store like the one at Bluewater. My wifes old ipad is an Air2 32Gb which incidentally was £360 4 years ago. The new one is similar spec 6th generation with 32Gb, ios12 and cost £319 so at least that went in the right direction. It more than meets her needs of reading the newspaper and of course some online shopping :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad it is possible to change the battery and that is why I asked which model you have, watch this video on how to take it apart, although you do not need to do anything like this amount of removal. The battery should come out after removing the connections from the battery to the board. Although it may be a bit too fiddly with your eyesight to do the repair.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for that H. Even if I wanted to try, my eyes wouldn't let me see those small connections and I don't have a small hot air blower.
The bonus is that we both have an ipad even if mine needs more frequent charging. ;) :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

For the past couple of weeks I have been making some changes in the shower area of my touring caravan. I decided to rip out the corner wash basin and the corner vanity unit above and to fit in a full length vanity unit with a drop down wash basin above the fixed toilet. This was to basically give me more room as with the previous setup you could hardly swing a cat in there and I was always banging my head on the vanity unit when I had a quick wash in the mornings. I could not get anything that was made for my caravan and as I think I have told you before that I bought it as a 'doo-er upper' and it has become my pet project when I have nothing else on at home. I have made loads of improvements since buying it and each time we are away I find something else that I think "Oooh that may improve things" and this is the latest job. I took a gamble and bought a second hand full length unit out of a scrap caravan in the hope I could make it fit (us engineers can do anything ;) ) and after a lot of effort it is now fixed in place. Of course not everything ever goes to plan and the taps needed some spare parts (they have electric micro swithes inside them to pump the hot and cold water) and could I get the parts? No way! I searched the internet and no joy whatsoever. I finally located a diferent make of tap that I managed to make fit, so that is all plumbed up and now working, so its lots of tidying up and replaceing the cupboard doors etc. then I may just tile it all out if I can find a suitable light weight stick on plastic tile to do the job. Either way I can wait until I come across something as I always leave my modifications in a state that I can still use them if I fancy nipping off for a few days with Annie. :D
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@Horus Before and after pictures would have been good to see your handy work :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I can't do any before pictures as the modifications are already done. :D
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It's been four weeks now since a stupid woman wrote off our car and we're still looking for another one. We seem to have been the losers in the case all the way round which doesn't seem fair since DH was the innocent victim! However, this seems to be just another brick in the wall of bad luck over the past year. Yesterday, my hearing aid broke and I can't get it repaired until next Wednesday. It's so odd to be sitting here in almost total silence! Roll on Wednesday!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Aways the case when your car gets damaged, you never come out of it cost free even when it was not your own fault.
I was going to put Simon & Garfunkels song "Sound of Silence" on for you RS, but I won't bother now :D