What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Absolutely pouring down rain today but "whew" we were getting bone dry which always brings a threat of forest fire with it.

Was out last night and pulled up a few hen 'n chick plants I'm giving to one of the other ladies at pottery today and I'm glad I did grab them last night cause I'd of been soaked today going outside to do it.

Today is the last day of pottery. I don't have much to collect up but hopefully everything I've done at least has the first firing completed as I don't want to have to haul home anything that hasn't been fired. I think a bunch of us might be going out for lunch to celebrate the last day however while we talked about it none of us has had the fore-sight to nail down a specific spot and make reservations. Ahh well ..... (might not happen).

Got my new phones hooked up. Charged them all last night. Mostly I'm happy I now have a phone downstairs. Not that it is a total safe guard but should I fall downstairs I've, at least, got a phone on the same level of the house I'd be on. The daughter checks on me but it could be 2 or 3 days before she actually came over to see where I'm at. Keep thinking I probably need to set up something more specific with somebody to make sure I'm alive and kicking.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm with you on the 'alive and kicking' front, it is the only thing that concerns me. My son live a reasonable distance from me and in typical fashion he remembers to phone Dad as and when. My daughter is the main contact and will call or phone most days she is not working, but as she does a 4 shift long work pattern it can sometimes be several days until we speak. I am not so concerned for myself, but rather that I may have kicked the bucket and Annie is alone in the house surviving for days on end until someone decides to look in. I have good friends and neighbours, but I doubt if any would get concerned if they had not seen me for several days, so that aspect is a worry sometimes.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - Same here. I figure I could go alone upwards of a week before anybody would be concerned enough to actually come over to see if I was still alive and kicking. The daughter is close but by no means checks on me daily (if ever). We talk but sometimes depending on what she is doing it can be a few days before we connect. Same with my girlfriends and how often we talk all depends on what we're doing but am not sure they'd spontaneously drop over if they didn't see me. I know the neighbours on either side of me but it is all 'over the friend' type talking. Neither comes over to actually see me.

Anyway I figured since the old set was OLD and since having a phone downstairs would be a decent idea I decided on getting another set so at least I have access to a phone on another level of the house.

I'm not even sure if around here there are any systems in place to check but I really don't want to have to bother with being IN the house at a specific time everyday to have to answer the phone. This also usually means if you don't answer they want a back up in place to come and check on you and I don't really want the daughter to have to drive across town just to find out I was in the backyard or for whatever reason didn't answer the phone.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

When I'm in Cardiff I wear a little alarm buzzer on my wrist - if pressed the unit in the living room announces that I am being connected to the help centre and in a couple of minutes a voice asks if I need any help. If I am upstairs for example and can't answer they will send a couple of paramedics. I have a spare key in a safebox outside the front door and also they have a spare key - belt and braces. It has a range of about 200 feet I'm told so would work as well in the average garden.

I check in once a month to make sure the system is working and tell them when I'm going away and come back. Works very well.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I used to have one like that for my mum, but I am more concerned about Annie if I were to pop my clogs and no one knew for days.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - geez now I've got to think about how any emergency people are going to break their way into Fort Knox! ;) There is no way I can leave a spare key outside. We have far too many robbers and breaks-ins nowadays for that. Will have to think on this one a bit however IF I'm truly down for the count I really don't think I'd care if they smashed in the door (or window) although I've re-inforced the door so dunno if they could actually break that one.........guess anything is possible but probably coming in through a window would be easier.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today so far is not too hot and not too cold. Not any sun but not overly cloudy either. Today is also day 1 of a holiday weekend (Canada Day on July 1st) so roads are going to be super busy and am sure the BC Ferries are on overdrive. Anybody who has a tent is typically out on a camping weekend being this is the first weekend the kids are out of school too.

I think I'm going to pass the weekend at home. Crew is coming for a sleepover tomorrow but I think arriving later in the afternoon so am not yet too sure what to plan. All the water parks are going full blast generally this time of year but weather-wise I think it will be too cold (unless the sun comes out) to head out to really enjoy running through the spray.

Thinking what I'll get up to .........
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So although I said I didn't know what I was going to do today it seems I'm installing gutter guards! Actually the son-in-law is installing gutter guards here. We'd had a conversation a long time ago that putting something on the gutters along the back of the house would definitely help keep all the pine needles, maples leaves and other flying plant debris out of the downspout.

We concluded with me saying IF he sees gutter guards to either let me know or buy them himself and bring 'em on down so he did. Guess the boat brought in a shipment so always best to grab 'em when you see them cause they may not be there next day.
DSC_0014.JPG
Hopefully these will do the trick. Granted it isn't me up the ladder cleaning out the eves but now hopefully will be easier to keep the water flowing in them. The one back corner of this house is incredibly high which means whenever I get the gutter cleaning guys I have to insist on a company that carries Workman's Compensation just in case somebody falls. Many Companies here are fly by nights where there are guys willing to do most anything for cash. Sometimes they're good but sometimes (often) they're not and it is naive to think they've even done the job knowing "I" am not going UP the ladder to check.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
What a coincidence LLL. I have just posted under 'New Season in the Garden' about tree droppings blocking rainwater downpipes and came across here to find you talking the same subject. :lol:

On another unrelated subject, some years ago I posted this picture of an overgrown Cordyline in my daughters garden.
20130531 Ali's giant cordyline a.jpg
This started to grow leaves halfway up the trunk so my son in law had the top cut off. It has continued to sprout leaves and now looks like this. Actually quite a nice plant.
IMG_20190629_132548_BURST001_COVER.jpg

And on another totally unrelated subject ;)
I have mentioned this in the past but on my 'back alley' journey into town I pass a short tunnel under the railway embankment. This was created in 1830 when the new railway embankment divided a dairy farmers land and the tunnel gave his cows access to pastures on both sides. It was derelict until about 5 years ago when it was cleared of debris and made secure as an historical relic. It now has grade 2 listing of buildings of special historical interest and will be maintained for the future.
On my journey passed this morning I thought it looked very attractive now that the vegetation has grown up around it.
IMG_20190630_121511_1.jpg
I then went to the other side and had difficulty finding the other entrance due to even more vegetation. But through the thistles you can just see the arch and railings.
IMG_20190630_122634.jpg
These are mobile phone pictures, didn't have my camera with me....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I like that little tunnel Grandad, I would be exploring that :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus
H, this story of the tunnel is mounted nearby.
20190630 Beverly Farm Footpath Arch-001.jpg
It mentions the old farmhouse. This is that farmhouse taken from behind the churchyard wall. (Easter Monday 2015)
20150406 Easter Monday morning-009.jpg
Out of frame just to the right is Ye Olde Beverlie pub. This area is a few hundred yards from my home and still has a village feel although now completely within the spread of the city.

PS: I DO like the new 'Drag and Drop' for adding pictures. I find it so quick and easy and the limit of 5 pictures is not really a problem because if you have more, simply post with up to 5 then start another post on the same thread with more pictures and it seems to link them up. Good stuff
:up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - The arched gate picture #1 is very pretty but methinks a weed-whacker is in order for the second side ;) or they at least need to get those thistles down.

Interesting tidbit on the sign re: history of the Farmhouse and Arch. Also really nice to know you have an active group who is willing to petition Gov't (which also seems responsive) to preserving heritage sites.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My only excitement today, if you can call it that, has been to order a new ipad for Mrs G. With her vision problems she depends on her ipad to keep up to date with the news etc, she can't read a newspaper, so I am happy to buy a new one.
Her old ipad is coming up 4 years old and the battery is seriously losing charge. It is an Air2, pretty basic ipad and when I enquired about battery replacement I was told that it is not cost effective because that model was glued together and for a couple of hundred pounds more, you can buy a new one, which is what I have done. She uses it so much I wouldn't deny her a new ipad.
I benefit though because I now get an ipad (I have always used a cheap Kindle Fire). :lol: BUT she has asked me to help her to learn more about how to use it with us both using the same machine....
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad I use a laptop when I'm in the living room sitting in the chair watching TV but otherwise I use my Kindle as I get email and a search engine that accommodates most of what I look at. I don't have an Ipad - does it do anything significantly different from a Kindle? Maybe just a bit bigger screen?

Today right now me and the crew are up and awake and watching "Wild Kratts" which is a cartoon show based on real life Nature. Bats is the topics of the morning. Twins are fascinated with a new series called "Drain the Ocean" by Nat Geo. I'm finding it quite interesting as well although I've only managed to record 1 episode of the series so we watched all about German U-boats last night. Am hoping to record all of them and then will have a couple evenings of watching.

It is Canada Day here today. I think there might be a parade downtown but we'll be giving that a pass. Some stores open, some closed - bankers holiday idea. The parks will be full as people will be camping out today to get a good spot to watch the fireworks tonight that they'll set off out over the water so will also have to give the parks a pass as I doubt even now early morning I'd get a parking spot. Will have to think about what we'll do.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, I shall only use our old ipad to help my wife to learn a bit more about using them. She will have the new one and follow what I do on the old one.
I am not a big fan of Apple. They restrict your options too much and you often HAVE to use their systems. Add to that, you MUST buy the ipad with memory to suit your needs, they have no SD slot for expansion.
My wifes old ipad had just 32Gb of memory, of which 23Gb is available. She doesn't store data. On that basis I have simply bought a new one with similar 32Gb of RAM. As you go through the range the memory can be a Tb or more BUT the most expensive I found was over £1900, I paid just £319 for a 9.7" screen and 32Gb, more than adequate for her needs.
I have my trusty Kindle Fire 8"HD that I use all the time. I can do everything on that AND it has an expansion slot. Very good battery and fast enough processor for my needs, and all for £79 special Black Friday price.
Why pay more? ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad Interesting about the SD slot. I still use my original Kindle Fire when I go out to read and it had only 8gb memory (and I think I might have upgraded to 16) but I don't really store anything on it. My original Fire has no SD slot to upgrade however the new one does. I think I bought it with 32GB but it has a slot I can buy a card for to upgrade to (I think) 128gb if I wanted to max. At some point I might upgrade to 64gb IF I really need it.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

My daughter bought an iPad less than a year ago, a couple of months ago it started to play up and the local "expert" said she was running out of "space". It would need to be upgraded. This is Ibiza where electricals are difficult to service and very expensive to buy - if available.

Today it has ground to a halt, turns on and immediately turns off. Glad my cheap and cheerful one is easily replaced and I have the *Memory contents put in a little case that I can use as an external memory :up

*Can't think of the right term! Old age strikes again. :oops:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Two possible faults with your i-pad MD
1. Shutting down immediatelyafter turning on usually indicates a discharged battery, so is it actually charging up when plugged in? you could try plugging in the charger and then switching it on.

2. It may just be a case of overheating, try putting it in the fridge (yes I am serious) for about 10 minutes to cool it down.

3. Running out of space probably means you have saved too much junk stuff like every photo you ever took, or more likely lots of unwanted 'Apps' running in the background that could be deleted to free up more space.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

A friend of mine had an iPad Air 2, and she found the battery wasn't holding the charge any more. She'd had it approx 3 years. She took it into the Apple shop and they changed the whole iPad for a new one and also transferred all her data free of charge. It didn't cost her a penny. I'm still using an iPad 2nd Generation which I've had for nearly seven years, although I am starting to look at newer models now. I quite fancy an iPad Pro but the cost is a bit daunting. However, you get what you pay for at the end of the day so........watch this space! I much prefer Mac to Windows. It's much more intuitive. I do have a laptop running Windows 7 which very rarely sees the light of day, but I have expensive software on it which is why I still keep it. My iPad is almost welded to my hand now. It goes to bed with me and gets up with me.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:23 pm Two possible faults with your i-pad MD
1. Shutting down immediatelyafter turning on usually indicates a discharged battery, so is it actually charging up when plugged in? you could try plugging in the charger and then switching it on.

2. It may just be a case of overheating, try putting it in the fridge (yes I am serious) for about 10 minutes to cool it down.

3. Running out of space probably means you have saved too much junk stuff like every photo you ever took, or more likely lots of unwanted 'Apps' running in the background that could be deleted to free up more space.
Thank you for that Horus, I will copy and send to my daughter. I think it might well be the heat. Also she has a habit of using her laptops while plugged into the mains, well actually it's plugged in all the time and has been from new, which doesn't seem right to me.

I have often noticed with her previous laptops that she has lots of sites open, she tends not to close when she has finished. The iPad is kept for her admin duties for the Buddhist group, she doesn't play games but might keep Amazon and Next open full time. :lol: