What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Enjoying a morning cuppa and can see from the TV News that the Royal Palace now has a new addition of a baby boy.

Weather-wise here the sun is shining and wind has died right down. Floor layers should be arriving soon to finish everything (whew this has been a job moving stuff)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Still pretty cold down here.

But I am feeling a little chuffed. I weigh myself every Monday morning and for several years my weight has been a constant 17st 5lbs, give or take a pound. I have not really changed my diet other than abstaining from any alcohol and over the last 6 to 8 months my weight is now down to 16st 9lbs. The diabetes diagnosis has had an influence but we only ever had a glass of wine or beer with our evening meal which I doubt would have made much difference.
I am having nasty side effects with the diabetes medication and I hope to stop taking that if my weight loss continues.....
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Usual Monday for me, drove to a nearby meir where I go most weeks, took Annie for a circular walk around the lake. Called into the little coffee shop near the entrance for a large cappuccino and a chat with some friends, it is always an interesting day. All of these friends are relatively new as I only know them from my walks when I call into the cafe. One guy is completely deaf and dumb, but although my sign language is limited we get on great and somehow manage to communicate well with each other, on my return home I often reflect upon the complexity of our interaction and wonder how on earth we managed to 'chat' about his new car, his dog, astronomy and even joke together, sometimes life is very strange.

Another guy I usually meet around the lake also calls in for a coffee and although he like myself lives quite a few miles away from the place he once surprised me by saying that he knew my elder brother who passed two years ago now and that they were both long distance heavy goods vehicle drivers, which was certainly true in my brothers case. That in itself was uncanny, but today he showed me a book about lorry transport and a page where he and my brother were mentioned in a list of drivers by the author. He then showed me a photograph in the book of a lorry and said "that was your brothers lorry" and gave the vehicle registration number! He went on to tell me a story of when that particular lorries cooling fan which must have been 30" in diameter and weighed about 10lbs came loose and shot up through the dashboard and misssed his head by inches, sometimes life becomes even stranger.

To finish off, only two days ago my brothers eldest daughter contacted me via Ancestry.com to ask if I could get her started on her family research, sometimes life becomes really weird. :tk
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Despite an almost sleepless night - I was up at 4am - I managed to get some sewing done and cooking. I also managed to finish season 1 of Line of Duty, and I have to say that the level of violence quite surprised me. I'm not sure about watching any more. I may have to leave it a while. I'm can't say I enjoyed it though. :urm:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Among the usual mundane tasks I have been doing today, I'm trying to make up my mind whether to go on to series 2 of 'Line of Duty'! :urm: Grandad and LLL, is it as violent as the 1st series?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Ruby Slippers
RS, at some point in each series there is at least one violent scene. Series 1 was about seven years ago so my memory of the plots is rather vague. I do remember Dot Cotton coming to an untimely end, is that the scene that you found upsetting.
Something I like about the series is that there is some continuity as the corruption stories develop. Without giving a spoiler, it is relevant that Dot Cottons death in 2012 has a bearing in the final episode of series 5. Just to illustrate the continuity.
Stick with it, it is so well written.....
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have mentioned our trip to the garden centre today in the 2019 garden thread. When shopping was done we had lunch at The George and Dragon which is a favourite restaurant that I have mentioned in the past. Home by 3pm and the weather had improved with sunny periods. I shall get out of the weekly shop tomorrow, #3 grand daughter has volunteered to be on taxi duty.....might fire up the scooter, weather permitting ;) :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

7.15 pm, Wednesday 8 May 2019.......Just a note that I just had a first sighting of new cubs on the bank. I saw two but there could be more. Camera on constantly from now on. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad you really had me confused about Line of Fire. First of all I said I had never seen it, that was an obvious lie because as soon as I started to watch series one I started to remember the plot, but it took me until episode 6 to realise I had watched all of series one. More to the point I carried on watching just to see Dot Cotton getting killed off and kept thinking to myself wouldn't she be a bit old for this programe? however I persevered until the end, but no dead Dot Cotton. Eventually I figured out that it was not Dot Cotton from 'Eastenders' a soap that I hardy ever watched many many years ago, but rather a Detective nicknamed Dot Cottom :urm: Although contrary to your spoiler he too was alive and well at the end of series 1. :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Grandad wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:16 pm 7.15 pm, Wednesday 8 May 2019.......Just a note that I just had a first sighting of new cubs on the bank. I saw two but there could be more. Camera on constantly from now on. ;)
I left the camera on, got several clips of mum and dad feeding on the dog food. Only one clip with a cub.
This is a poor still frame from video of a cub with dad. By the size of the cub I guess it was born around mid to late February.
snapshot_001.jpg
Now they know where the larder is, I expect to see regular visits.

Miserable rainy day today. Had two NHS letters, one for a heart monitor to be used from next Friday for 3 days. The other confirming the angiogram 5 days later. They haven't given up on me..........yet! ;) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Mom and Dad Fox are looking good and, I agree, now they know where the food is they'll be back.

Pottery making day for me. Only have to the end of June to make my artistic gems so any day now I'm expecting all the letters to start from all the World Institutions vying for my creations. It is really hard for me to decide which one I should donate my Masterpieces to. Hard thinking but I'll do it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LovelyLadyLux wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:35 pm The Mom and Dad Fox are looking good
It is actually dad and, a growing up fast, cub LLL
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ahh a Papa and a young 'un. They're still good looking foxes.

Driving home today I saw, at a Gas Station that has a themometer sign, the temperature at 85 degrees F. No wonder I was feeling pretty warm. Came home and opened all the windows and doors to get some air flow happening here otherwise it'll be darn hot I won't be sleeping tonight.

Tomorrow we have our semi-annual Pottery Club show. I don't contribute but do look forward to going and see all the creations. Some of the ladies come to the same Studio I'm at so always nice to see their wares being displayed.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A couple of weeks ago I said that I went into town specifically to see an exhibition of work by Gerald Scarfe. The scooter/wheelchair lift to the first fllor was OOA so I gave it a miss.
Tried again this morning, lift now working so I had a look at the exhibition. I was very impressed. There are about 100 original works on display, most quite large, and many very colourful. I would happily hang any one on a wall at home.
There were notices 'Strictly no photography', a steward sitting watching for any contravention of that rule, and cameras in the ceiling BUT, I found a little corner and did sneak one snap on my mobile.
IMG_20190510_103559_BURST002.jpg
Hang on, the Fuzz is at the door, come to arrest me for breaking copyright laws :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh ! Grandad you are naughty ;) :) lovely work :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Potted a few plants and re-potted some that were pot bound. Didn't do as much as I planned, have to keep having a sit down. Roll on the 22nd to have this angiogram......
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I'm finishing up an afghan quilt I'm making for the daughter in Quebec. She wanted white on white and ultimately found a fabric with an embossed raised pattern in it. Her present decor is white on white so wanted a white (it is actually a light ecru) quilt for the back of her sofa. Just has to put the binding on it and it'll be in the mail back to her.

Yesterday went to a Garden sale with a girl friend. Got a bunch perennials and got them planted last evening. The gf and I then wrestled a HUGE climbing hydrangea I'd hacked down when I moved into this house as it had climbed literally everywhere - up the outside stairs, around the patio railings etc. The previous people planted a vigorous vining plant (that LOVED the spot) where too many people walked (as in ME going up and down the stairs) and I just don't bounce too well when I fall! It was lots of work for me to get it off all the posts and railings but I'm always out there cutting it back so it had to go. The gf house has a long long chain link fence. She just finished making a small pond and they put a fountain into it so if they can get this hydrangea to grow up along and through this fence it'll create a very lovely back drop. Right now you see right through the fence into a neighbours backyard and this should stop that - so - a bonus for me to get rid of this plant and a bonus to her to get a back drop!

Got all my perennials I bought planted last night. They're all spring flowering (Armeria/Sea Thrift, Creeping pholx and arabix plus one Lewisia with gorgeous coral flowers I put into a pot) and will definitely add spring colour to a fairly drab area that now houses blue berries, 1 clematis (small so far), and a hosta in the other corner. I do have a Rudbeckia (Black Eye'd Susan) in another corner but that doesn't get going 'til late summer.

I have 1 smallish garden pot left to plant. Not too sure what all I'm going to put into it. I'm really hosta's out although they are now selling miniature hostas here that are quite lovely and filling out the small pots quite well so might end up moving this one to under the tree and plop a small hosta into it. Guess I'm hoping to find something different ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I was desperate to find something to say today, nothing much happening. I went to Sainsburys Local this morning to get some wine. I lit the turbo on the scooter and switched on the active camera, it made my wife laugh and perhaps it will have the same effect on you guys. :lol: Switch to full screen. ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I don't know about 'local' Grandad. That seems a fair way to travel just for a bottle of wine!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

One bottle RS? I wouldn't go for fewer then half a dozen. 😀 It is about a mile and I do that trip a couple of times a week. Just thought with the camera it added a bit of humour. 😀