What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Grandad »

We did have plans to decorate our hallway. It is very narrow and in very good order so I persuaded my wife to leave it and just change the wall decoration. We recently purchased a large canvas print with the intention of hanging it in the hall and painting the walls to suit the colour tones of the picture.
Then we had a eureka moment and agreed to hang the new print in the lounge and move the two canvas prints from the lounge to the hall where there colours would match. On an opposite wall we had a papyrus picture of a row of geese bought in Egypt long ago.
The geese have now been relegated to the loft and their space on the wall is now occupied by a decorative round mirror which our daughter took us to a local store to purchase this morning.
The moral of all this is that all I have had to do to please my wife and 'change' the hall is to drill two holes for mirror hangings. A crafty move?
But why get older if you don't get crafty? :lol:

I have also changed today to my new eye drop prescription which took a few days to get because they were not in stock locally. This is now what my meds list looks like each month and if I had to pay, the present NHS prescription charge would be £70.40

Current medication
Eliquis Apixaban 5mg 2/day morning and night
Privastatin 20mg 1/day at night
Ramipril 10mg 1/day in morning
Bisoprolol Fumarate 5mg 1/day in morning
Sukkarto SR 500mg 1/day with main meal
Furosemide 40mg 1/day in morning
Taptiqom tafluprost/timoliol single dose capsules
15micrograms + 5mg/ml both eyes 1/day
Trusopt Dorzolamide single dose capsules
20mg/ml both eyes 2/day

I get them free so another benefit of getting older ;) :lol:

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sometimes just moving pictures/ornaments/furniture around can give a whole new look and the bonus you already have it. Good to know it all worked out well Grandad and saved lots of work too. I moved a picture from downstairs to upstairs myself recently and scratched my head at why I'd had the picture basically tucked away in a bedroom when it went so well in the new spot I moved it to.

And Kiya is GOING TO JUMP FROM A FLYING PLANE???? I know she said that but I translated in my own brain to mean that she was going to actually go into one of those wind tunnel things. No way am "I" jumping out of a plane short of it going to crash and even then it is "iffy" I'd do it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Went to the Market today on the far south end of town. Saw a cruise ship was in the Harbour as I passed so that means possibly another 3,000 or so people walking around the downtown and at the Market.

I'd never been to the Market at Lazlo Cardenas Park and when I got there the park was full. I think everybody in Puerto Vallarta was there so a bit hard to get photos due to the crowds. Mexican music was being played and one end of the park had a stage and benches. This group was over by the food fair.

Lots of home made foods already sold out and always fresh coconuts (I love 'em).

Hats are always a big seller especially when the sun is out and hot.

These purses were made out of metal pull tabs off of soda or pop tins and in a booth beside the people weaving plastic into beach bags.

Lots of handmade items, animals, pillows, windchimes made out of felt.

These pictures are all photos of local scenes and items and then somehow the photos were vintaged aka made to look old.

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Fabulous photos, LLL! :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Loving your commentary LLL and so much colour in all your pictures. You certainly have a good eye for an interesting subject, like the hats. Great composure :up :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Only highlight today is lunch at #2 sons home. At least Mrs G gets a break from cooking today.
They (our son, DiL and Louis) are going skiing in the French alps in a few weeks time at half term holiday. I have some left over euros from our Christmas trip which Louis can have to spend on their trip.
Louis has been having lessons on an artificial ski slope so hopefully he will not be a complete novice on his first ski holiday.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't and never have skied cross country or downhill but on the Island we have Mt Washington and it is an absolute magnet for people. Really popular Resort and when I left there was close to 5' (1.5 meters) of snow. Seems a fantastic sport and I think we have an Island girl in contention for the Winter Olympics who skis up there. Wish it wasn't such a pricey sport though. In our areas well beyond the price most can afford even if they're renting the equipment.

Today is a hang about the pool day and talk ;) and being the silver hair'd set we ALL talk! There are some young families here but mostly Seniors. I did meet and talk with a lovely couple from Alaska. They were sat at the table next to me for supper few days ago and were having a hard time trying to eat as their son (2 yrs old - gorgeous little guy with flame read hair) was overly tired, wasn't happy and was giving them a real hard time. The evening meal doesn't get going until close to 7pm which is pretty hard for a little person to adjust to and this little guys bedtime was now supper time. I had some neat things in my bag (i.e. my crocodile towel clamps) so was able to amuse him for a few minutes while Mom and Dad chowed down.

Turns out they were married here 11 yrs ago and bought a 4 piece set of Talavera pottery some of which got damaged in a recent earthquake in Alaska. They wanted to get replacement pieces and more and asked if I knew of any stores that sold it and were hoping to find the store they bought their original set from 11 yrs ago. They couldn't remember the store they original bought from but as they described it I knew it and coincidentally know the Owner/wife & his son.

Talk of world coincidences but Senior Talavera (Moises) has the BEST Talavera pottery store in Puerto Vallarta (IMO) and his sister is living in Tacoma, Washington (next city north of where I was in the USA). Anyway I was able to give them directions to his store and then yesterday when I was walking back from the Market I stopped in to say 'hi.' He had a huge order wrapped and stacked up and as we talked turns out this couple had found his store and bought like 6 more boxes of Talavera dinnerware that was delivering to here for them at 6pm when he closed up shop.

Anyway - lots of chit chatting with everybody which is my agenda for today as tonight this Resort puts on "Mexican Fiesta Night" whereby they decorate the conference room Mexican style, have a Mariachi Band come in, will do a show of games involving the audience (kinda silly as they get people to sing/dance/guess answers etc) and then after this have traditional dancers in colourful costumes end the night. It happens every Sunday but the buffet is good and I like watching the dancers.

Talk of colour here - it isn't hard to find as everything is brightly decorated, lots of colour, glitter and shine.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have never heard of Talavera pottery LLL so I read about it on Wiki. Interesting history of this majolica style pottery and, from what it said on wiki, your friends purchases must have been quite expensive. I have seen this pottery but it is not something that appeals to me. Too ornate and colourful. I can see the Is!amic origins especially as the early Talavera was only decorated in blue. Much like Iznik tiling in the mosques.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interestingly enough I met them this morning as they were coming into the restaurant. They said they bought a complete 8 piece place setting - dinner plates, bread & butter plates, bowls and mugs. They were super happy with their purchase and said that they've organized to email Senor Talavera with future requests that he has agreed to package up and mail to them in Alaska. I think the shipping alone would cost a proverbial fortune but am also sure a complete place setting of Talavera would look phenomenal on the dining table.

I quite like Talavera and it is more then colourful but I don't believe it would match anything at all in my home so I've resisted. I have 3 outside Talavera pots that you hang on a wall (half round) however I've yet to hang them given I still have work happening in the backyard.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I woke up to a brisk 16C outside. Downright FREEZING now that I've acclimatized to warmer temperatures. If I was home and it was 16C I'd be outside in a t-shirt but today I'm wrapped up in a T-shirt, sweater and had a towel wrapped around me when I was sitting by the pool. It is getting warmer so the towel is gone but I still haven't dipped the toes into the water yet today.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

16 degrees sounds positively balmy to me at the moment, LLL! :D We have the threat of snow, sleet and icy winds here!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My life seems to revolve around medical prescriptions, clinicians changing them, and then me trying to get my doctors surgery to update their records quickly when they get advice of the change from the consultant.
When I saw a consultant nearly two weeks ago he changed both my eye drops, or so I thought. When I collected the new prescriptions they had both changed from small 5ml bottles to single dose capsules. I am simply not getting on with these and waste quite a lot and sometimes have to use two capsules.
I accept that the Taptiqom is a stronger drop to replace the Xalacom used previously and is not available in bottles.
I went to Boots yesterday to discuss the problem with the pharmacist. She told me that the Trusopt which replaces my previous bottles of Dorzolomide IS Dorzolomide but without the preservative which SOME people find irritates their eyes.
I have been using Dorzolomide for 30 years with no problem so I am right now waiting for a doctor to call me from the surgery when I shall insist that he reverses the prescription to the original Dorzolomide in a 5ml bottle.
Sorry, 'Long story Long' but changes in prescription can be a problem :(
The doc called while typing this and has changed things at my request...good man :up

My new mobile phone is proving to have an excellent camera (or three :lol: ) I have decided that with continued reduction in my useful vision I shall use the mobile more and am in the process of disposing of my two remaining cameras. I have just come back from Posting the X10 to a fellow in Cardiff. We did a deal on ebay and he gets a very good camera for a price acceptable to both of us.
I will probably delay selling the Panasonic with the 60x zoom until we decide on holiday plans this year. If we go on safari I shall certainly need it :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

A 60x zoom can be really useful and produce some interesting photos. I would hang onto that one if possible.

Talking to people here poolside going home to minus50 degree temperatures. That would be a major downer to return to.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I am again pooling it then late afternoon am heading to the Marina as every Thursday starting at 6pm there is a Market. Have never gone so not sure what is being sold but there might be homemade handicrafts.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I am again pooling it then late afternoon am heading to the Marina as every Thursday starting at 6pm there is a Market. Have never gone so not sure what is being sold but there might be homemade handicrafts.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just back from the Thursday night Market. Absolutely wall to wall, shoulder to shoulder people. Absolute crush of tents with vendors and tourists from everywhere looking for the perfect souvenir. Quite an array of handmade very high end items to select from. Lots of handmade silver jewelry, hammered copper, very interesting 'pictures' made out of heavy paper handmade from one specific type of tree. I read the whole blurb on it but now I can't remember the name of this particular tree. The patterns were more than interesting, very unique, some woven with differently dyed paper, all laid flat and some mounted into frames so you could really get a visual of what they'd look like. They were quite popular due to their difference.

Couldn't get any photos as the Market didn't start 'til 6pm and darkness comes early.

Three or four Band. Loved the one playing Santana. Might go again next week although the bus trip in from Nuevo Vallarta would be longer.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Is it Amate paper which can be made from the Mulberry tree ?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@HurghadaPat - I think that might be it. It was a special tree that only grew in one particular section of Mexico and the name was "Mora" but when I put that into Google it come out Mulberry :) I couldn't get a photo and didn't even try but his designs were interesting and mounted would have made an interesting picture. I would have liked a smaller one as I could have gotten it home in the suitcase but once home it would have been/is difficult to get pictures framed up professionally. There is really only one store that does it and the cost is astronomical. Couple years ago I took in a smallish rectangle cloth (Batik) from Africa to get framed. The quoted price for the cheapest frame (and it looked it) was $600 + tax so I took it home, nailed four pieces of wood into a rectangle and then nailed the batik print onto it myself. Maybe doesn't sound so good but it actually turned out looking ok and now resides beside the desk.

@MD - you are on some sort of mixed timing Karma with the Physio. Couldn't have calculated that timing better if you tried. Hopefully the clot in your leg isn't infected but with you saying that re: clots I was just reading a day or two ago about a new medical technique whereby a mesh is inserted through the clot in a tube then inflated and opened (this is all done with spiral wires) and pulled back out through the clot with essentially cuts it up into thousands or tiny pieces that can then move through. Was quite an ingenious idea and the photos of how it worked really made it make more sense. It was developed in Australia and really seemed a simple idea but so effective and efficient to break up clots.

This is Saturday and I believe a cruise ship day so will be viewing the beach for "activity" when I go down for breakfast. Will be seeing if the old boat and torpedo are out there :) :)
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Ohhh....do keep us informed as to what is happening on the beach,but in reality i don't think you will ever find out what is going on....shame as it's a bit like reading a good book only to find out that the last few pages are missing :cry:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@HurghadaPat...now I realize today is only Friday too (thought it was Saturday) so tomorrow the cruise Ships will be in. They might just be a coincidence but ??? (Don't think so). I have been here before and have seen the same boats etc but never really put it together until the light bulb went on. There is no way IMO some of those guys selling are making enough for a cup of coffee.

I Googled wages for this area and anybody working the resorts is making about $17USD per day before tips. It did say many are picked up by Resort bus and fed their meals but would still be hard for them to make a good living.

Easy to see the (ahem) appeal of walking the beach.