What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@HurghadaPat - Just home from the dentist. Their eyes light up when they look in my mouth and I'm sure I've funded many holidays and toys for them.

My dental news today is that my upper top tooth is dead and is abscessing - 'oh joy'!!! :( The dentist poked and prodded. At a minimum I need a root canal and he is willing to do that BUT BUT BUT he thinks (cause he can feel a hole or pocket) that one of the roots is broken which means a root canal will ultimately fail. He can extract it but if he does and just leaves it then I have nothing below to chew against meaning that tooth will float and in about 5 years I'll have alignment problems. Recommendation is for me to do an "implant" (never had one) which requires a Dental Surgeon fellow so off I'll go in one week to see this Dentist for an initial consult. Then we'll plan what to do. Nearly fell on the floor when they told me the price. On antibiotics for the next 10 days :(

Anybody ever have a dental implant? Got to Goggle it.

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm truly in despair! The gas fitter phoned last night at approx. 7pm to say that he was stuck in traffic but would be with us at midday today. Here we are at 4.30pm and nothing from him yet again. We can't even raise him on the phone! :cry:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - I feel your pain and can empathize. I hate the entire workman/repairman deal. Hopefully thought today you'll get the fellow there and he'll get you all hooked up and working and you won't need to order in a totally rare obsolete spare part from some far off corner of the world.

Today I'm heading to pottery. Got to truck all my stuff back there so it'll be a couple trips up and down and back and forth to the car but once I'm there I'll be back to making something. Not sure what as I'm not yet back into the swing of it all but I'll get something going.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Have you ever thought of making houses, LLL? We had a chap who used to make the most fantastic little cottages in pottery! He used to take photos and then replicate them as exactly as possible. Absolutely beautiful little works of art. I made one once - but I can't for the life of me remember who I gifted it to! :ni: Or how about a large slabbed fruit dish or a bowl for nuts?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - I ended up making 15 pottery buttons and 2 flat slab houses then I lost creative 'oomph' of another idea.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

YES!!!!!!!

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Whoohoo! I have hot water! :lol: :lol: :up :up :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - WOO HOO and I hope right now you're soaking in a tub full of hot water and bubbles aka relaxing. Did you get your washer/dryer set yet and have you decided on a type? Hope that goes easy.

Here when this place was built the builders in their wisdom made the spot for my washer and dryer exactly 54.5" wide. The average size of a set is 54"!!!! Couldn't have left me an extra inch or two so that IF styles get bigger I could EASILY fit in another set. Keeping my fingers crossed that the size of a washer/dryer is standardized to 54" wide and will stay there otherwise I'm going to up against it finding something to fit.

Yesterday it threatened the dreaded "s" word again (snow) so after pottery I stopped and did my grocery shopping and swung by to see the Grandkids so I could see their Report cards. Was going to do that today and cause I rushed out and did that it did NOT snow. Not that I'm complaining about NO snow.

Think I'll occupy me with cooking so that I can continue the march on re-stocking up the freezer so I can then go weeks without having to really bother myself with cooking. I find I eat mostly raw food as in fresh fruit & veggies and the meat added in is usually all pre-cooked & frozen and then thawed as I need it.

I'm on a binge of eating 'wraps' right now. A bit soft roti - like a soft taco that I fill then wrap with chicken, sliced red peppers, shredded lettuce & spinach and sweet pickles. Love that combination and since I didn't have it for the past month I'm doing that for nightly suppers for a while.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We have the prospect of record February temperatures today SO, daughter and SiL will pick us up , with scooter, and we will go to the coast at Minnis Bay. The plan is to take a walk (ride) along the coastal path then get some lunch at a nice little beachside cafe. Will report back later.
BTW, Mrs G has already informed me that she will want to ride some of the way and I can stumble along beside her :lol: :lol:

Weather looks set for a fine weekend so wherever you are, have a great weekend :up :up
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Sounds great Grandad.
Today I shall be taking it pretty easy, in between unpacking sessions after an "interesting" week.. :sd:

I've been getting on very well with the unpacking and sorting all the boxes youngest left me, when suddenly the pressure went on as eldest realised I needed to get my Residencia for Ibiza before Brexit to qualify for health care.

Problem #1 I found that my passport ended in November 2018. Arranged an appointment for an Urgent Passport Issue for Tues. 19th Feb. On the way involved in a shunt and both cars were written off. Funnily enough right outside a hospital. :D

We were in the outside lane, other car in a filter lane on the left when the driver who I had noticed was getting very close to the car in front of her suddenly turned right into our car.(it was not an overtaking move, she was trying to avoid hitting the car in front of her) our car then hit the central barrier.

My friend who was driving was amazing. we finished parked by the side of the road in the direction we had been travelling - but unfortunately the front end was smashed to pieces, as was the side that hit the barrier. The other car was a write off too.

The good news is that both drivers and passengers walked away. As we did my friend grinned at me saying "I was just about to get a new car!"

Yesterday in a hire care we repeated the journey and I picked up my passport. It's cost me an extra £177 but it's only money. I think I'll try and claim it off the other driver. ;)

I'm stiff of course, but otherwise OK. Somehow life seems a great privilege. Al Hamdulillah.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wow MD glad you all came through that safe and sound and none the worse for wear. Definitely sounds like it could have been a really serious accident. Good all concerned were able to walk away.

Good you were also able to get what was needed for passport too.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

MD glad to hear your all safe and well :hug:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Not a good experience MD and like the others, I am glad that you are OK. Just put it behind you and move on, hopefully that was a one off not to be repeated. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you folks, I'm weird I don't panic and I'm always perfectly calm in emergency situations. I have total recall of details too whether it be fire, flood and traffic accidents or involving dangerous animals. Useful talent. :lol: :D :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Another fantastic February day. :up
The University of Kent is on the hill straight up a long pathway about 1km direct from my house. The children used to play in the vast park grounds of the Uni when they were young but I have not been up the hill for very many years....so....this morning I got out the scooter and went for a ride up the hill. It brought back some memories for me, this is a large bomb crater from WWII that, when snow covered in winter, is very popular for kids on tin trays. It is actually deeper than it appears in the picture :lol:
This is the approach to the campus across the Uni estate.
At the top of the hill there is a dirty pond. I well remember when our eldest son was about 12, he pulled out an old Mobylette motor bicycle. I cleaned it up, stripped and rebuilt the motor and the kids used to take it up to the fields and ride it around inside the bomb crater :lol:
From the top of the hill there is a good view across the city and the cathedral but the sun was in the wrong place so not too clear.
On the way back down the path I had another view of the cathedral but again contre-jour (that's the posh term for into the light) :lol:

Then as usual home for coffee....

PS: I checked and the main Uni campus is 54 metres above my house level so the scooter had some climbing to do :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Another great day weatherwise. Had a prescription to collect in town. Checked the distance with an app, 3.4 miles round trip. Maximum speed recorded as 8mph....don't believe that....do these things have built in lies? The best it has done is 5.2mph :lol:
I have used it a lot in the last week and probably totaled around 10 miles. Gave it an MOT yesterday. Very convenient that it comes apart so I was able to sit outside on the bench and have each part on my lap while I checked all the nuts and bolts for security. :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photos Grandads :) I can imagine the fun kids would have on their tin trays in the crater.

The cathedral still looks nice even through the light :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Nice photos! The Uni looks pretty big but I guess most of them are. Nice shots :up

When you're riding your scooter at 5.25mph does it seem to be going fast? Or is that actually a comfortable travel speed? I actually Googled average walking speed with Google saying a moderate speed is "Moderate" walking is defined as 3.0 mph (equivalent to 20 minutes per mile)" so was wondering if you going at 5.25mph actually seems fast?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I actually Googled average walking speed with Google saying a moderate speed is "Moderate" walking is defined as 3.0 mph (equivalent to 20 minutes per mile)" so was wondering if you going at 5.25mph actually seems fast?
It seems 'purposeful' LLL Problem is everyone is strolling along at 2 - 3 mph and getting in my way :lol: :lol:
As an indication, I know I was 1.4 miles from home when I set off from my last stop. It took exactly 20 minutes including negotiating the 'strollers' so that was pretty good and much quicker than I could do it when I used to walk into town.
I LOVE MY SCOOTER :a31: :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Crew just left for home. All happy and a good time was had by all. They have school tomorrow but yesterday and today were Pro-D days for the teachers.

Now - not too sure what I'm going to do for the next few hours. Have an appointment tonight with a Dental Surgeon to determine the fate of my tooth. Might head out or might just hang around - thinking ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Dental Surgeon update is that I do need to have the tooth extracted and when it comes out a bone graft will go in. Five to six months or so of healing and then more x-rays to determine how much bone is there. If not enough then maybe a sinus graft then we'll decide IF I'm amenable to a dental implant or not. IF all my teeth in the area were good I'd just have this one pulled and call it a day however this tooth is beside a 4 tooth bridge and with all the bone loss IF the bridge if affected and I lose the anchor tooth which will take more use & abuse now the other one is going and if all goes south then I'd be in real dental trouble.

So waiting now to hear from the Dental Surgeon's office re: planning which includes me starting on a 10 day script of antibiotics prior to extraction day.

This I all have to figure out as the oldest daughter is leaving for a week come Friday to visit her sister in Quebec and I'm her driver plus I'll need her here to be my driver on E (extraction) Day. ;)

I'm also looking at the weather as I need to walk my neighbourhood and post a note on every door advising of our Annual Block Watch meeting. Since I'm Block Watch Captain it is up to me to notify everybody of this and RCMP just let me know. Just made the notices now I just need to go do the walk and shove the notices, as a reminder, of our meeting.