Persimmon time of year

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Persimmon time of year

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

:a52: One of my most favourite of all fruits has arrived - persimmons! I find them one of the most delicious fruits going. Always make sure I'm eating a ripe one as the mouth drying power of a green one is pretty yucky but I find the flavour irresistible.

Pomegranates are also in the grocers now. Quite love them as well and from personal observations most arriving this year are quite a bit bigger than last year.

We also get boxes and boxes of Mandarin oranges in the stores now. I will buy those verses the harder to peel regular oranges and for whatever I've always used Mandarin Orange boxes to store my Christmas ornaments in.

Your favourite Christmas fruit?

:a52: :a52: :a52:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Persimmon time of year

Post by Mad Dilys »

My lovely Ali who looked after me so well in Luxor used to buy me a tray of persimmons as soon as they came on the market. My very favourite fruit, but it was about the only thing that didn't thrive in my garden by the Nile. My next favourite is fresh dates from my garden. mind you I wouldn't say no to a Medjool date at any time.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I like all fruits but have not heard of Persimmon. Where have I been hiding? :lol: Must see if they have any when shopping tomorrow.

We have a very large house building company, Persimmon Homes. I wonder where that name came from?

Ever tried Durian? :a45:
:gg:
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I have been thoroughly enjoying the pomegranates since we came back. When we were over in February I bought some here approx 50 pence for 5 smallish ones total weight 1.5 kg, saw some when we got back to France. Rapidly put it back when I saw it was 1.99€ each & smaller than the ones here! I must admit I did eventually succumb when they came down to 1.49€ each. Bought 2 kg's today :D

Never tries persimmons although there are plenty in the shops here. I don't like really sweet fruit & from what I've read they are, I imagine they are a bit like mangos, or maybe I'm wrong?

Strawberries have just come into season though & they are wonderful :D
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:oops: Ooops double post.
Last edited by Mad Dilys on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Just seen your post Fablux, they are nothing like Mangoes. They look like a medium large tomato but more yellowy orange and quite firm to touch when they first reach the shops - don't try to eat them in this condition. They have to be ripened at home as the skin when ripe is very fragile and doesn't travel well. When ready to eat it will be a darker almost crimson colour and easily splits revealing a very juicy and shapeless interior - no supporting structures like a tomato. Occasionally one finds seeds but not always. The are Deeeelicious!

In the UK Supermarkets Persimmon is often referred to as Sharon Fruit. It really should only be eaten when really, really soft as otherwise it leaves a feeling in the mouth similar to but worse than the fluff lining chestnut shells Ugh! :sk
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

MD I don't think I will risk them. They sound horrible to me. I don't eat many fruits because I don't like soft fruit, other than berries because they are fairly firm. I only eat nectarines when they are firm (OK slightly under ripe) :oops:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Oh no no no - persimmons are delicious but there is a small window of time to eat them. You can't eat them when they're green or under-ripe as the tannins in them pucker your mouth however you can't wait 'til they're super soft either (IMO). I like them when they are just ripe as then the skin is still crunchy with a mild sweet flavour.

The ones we get here arrive orange with a green hue. Soon as they're solid orange I eat them as then they still have a crunch. I don't believe I've ever seen a red one or maybe I'm just eating them when they're in the newly ripe stage.

I too love nectarines (and pears) when they're hard. Don't like 'em once they're soft and ripe.

Persimmons are definitely worth a try ;) The crunch, the taste is superb! :eat :eat :eat
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've never seen a persimmon like you describe LLL. Sounds lovely

What about white fleshed peaches and nectarines?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - the persimmons that arrive here are mostly from Asia are FUYU and are somewhat squarish and flat. Light orangish green and all the green fades out when they're ripe. They typically have undeveloped seeds (you can easily eat them and not even know it).

We get nectarines here too - yellow/orange flesh as well as white flesh. I rarely buy white flesh ones. No reason I just think the orange flesh ones look nicer.

I don't really like peaches as I don't really like the fuzz. We can grow peaches & nectarines here in a sheltered area but they have to be grown under cover (in a greenhouse) as the rain carries a virus that causes the leaves to curl if they're exposed and will actually cause the tree to die.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ever since I was young when my mother used to buy tinned white peaches for choice, they have only been available in small amounts for a short time, even the canned ones. I much prefer the flavour.

I don't eat peaches as the skin blisters my lips so I'd have to peel them. I have grown peaches in the UK and they get Peach Leaf Curl here too. Apparently if you plant garlic around the bottom of the tree it prevents it -my friends and I didn't get any anyway.

I didn't have much success with peaches in my garden in Luxor - they made substantial trees but probably because they grew so fast the bark split and they didn't set fruit. I had 5 Nectarines and 5 Peaches but I took them out. The Avocados took their place. Mmmm.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I did buy a tray of 3 persimmon at the supermarket this morning. They are nice looking fruits from Spain but as they are very firm I will leave them in the fruit bowl in the kitchen to ripen off. They do look appealing and, as I said, I have not heard of them before. Must get a life :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As I said, never tried persimmon before but after a few days ripening off in the kitchen I have just tried one.
I didn't know what I had missed, peachy flavoured flesh with a firm skin like an apple. Really nice; on my list for this Thursdays shopping. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

They are exceptionally high in vitamin A one fruit contains 50% of your daily need. Lots of other vita mins and minerals too, but really great for the immune system. :up

I've frozen them before they were ripe, but this time I will freeze on the point of ripeness and see if that's better.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Being now diagnosed as diabetic, I need to watch my sugar intake. Google tells me that the daily intake for a man should not exceed around 36 grams. A 150 gram persimmon contains around 28 grams of sugar so perhaps I should steer clear. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I love Persimmons. They sweet but not too sweet and I like the taste of the contrast between the skin and the flesh. They're only here in the fall and I'm good to eat one a day :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm still enjoying persimmons and mostly I've noted they've come from Spain. This last shipment of squat square ones came from the USA.

All persimmons I've ever eaten have been seedless however of the four I bought from the USA this last one is FULL of big flat brown seeds. I have never had a seed before but this one was full.

Has anybody ever had any luck with planting and growing a persimmon seed? I think I'm going to dry them then plant them once I get back home. Dunno why this one rogue persimmon was full of seeds - like 6 but a couple of them I ended up cutting in half as I didn't realize I was cutting through seeds.

Will have to Google these as I don't believe I have ever ever even seen a persimmon tree. Be more than thrilled if I could get one of the to sprout.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just Google Persimmon seeds and apparently seeds will grow, fruit can be fermented to facilitate extraction but the seeds do not grow true.

This I found rather cute as apparently persimmon seeds are used to predict the weather!

The forecast for 2018: The 2018 Persimmon Seed Forecast. ... According to folklore, if you crack open a persimmon seed from a ripe fruit and the shape inside (called a cotyledon) looks like a fork, winter will be mild; if you see a spoon, there will be a lot of snow, and if there is a knife, winter will be bitingly cold and “cut like a knife.”Sep 25, 2018

Guess mine are saying "lots of snow" but so far we've had a very mild winter.......guess the southern USA is going to be hit by mega snow! ;) ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well I bought some rather large and firm persimmons from the supermarket and tried to "ripen" them.
They are obviously not like the ones I'm used to - stayed firm and the skin was really hard. Cut them in slices like an apple. They were OK but nothing like the thin skinned juicy and exceptionally sweet ones I got in Egypt and Spain. Quite disappointing really. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - what you're describing is what we get here. They're usually quite firm with a thickish skin not unlike an apple. I typically slice them like I'd cut up an apple. I love them that way and find them not too sweet but sweet enough. Not juicy at all.