Who needs a smart meter?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Who needs a smart meter?

Post by Grandad »

I have been pestered in the past by my energy supplier, npower, to have a smart meter installed. I told them I am not interested and don't bother me again. I am quite capable of managing my energy usage without looking at a meter every time we boil a kettle or switch a light on. :(

I am a bit of a numbers geek and keep records of things such as energy usage. I read the meters today and realised that my usage of electricity is far less per month than in the past. Long story short, I compared the last 12 months usage with the previous 12 months and found a reduction of 550 kwh, £73 on my tariff.

Most of this reduction is over the most recent 6 months so it should be more in future. And the reason: We bought a new TV a few months ago which is very cool and not soaking up energy compared with the old one. In addition we now switch off all lights in the lounge extension when watching TV to aid our sight problems. SO, almost by accident we have saved what will be at least £100 per year without a smart meter in sight :lol: :lol:

:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Who needs a smart meter?

Post by Mad Dilys »

Fantastic! :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is definitely a pretty decent savings! Now that you're found an essentially obligated payment is free you'll have to treat yourself to something out of the norm :a52:

As for smart meters we ALL have them. The gov't came in and installed them. Some protested and tried to launch law suits but didn't really matter the smart meters were installed anyway.

I participated in a year of austerity whereby I religiously turned the heat down, lights off, unplugged everything and was "rewarded" with $75 off my annual bill because I'd reduced my electricity useage by 15%. THEN the Gov't asked I participate for the next year offering another $75 off my bill if I could reduce my consumption by a further 10%. I've tried but I'm basically down to bare bones now. I turn on 1 lamp beside my chair when I watch TV, don't turn it on 'til dark and have never ever left a light burning in a room I'm not in. I've already unplugged applianced and things I don't use when I'm not using them. My useage actually increased a bit so NOW I get monthly emails in red telling me I'm over using!! I should have never bother with their silly savings program as ever since they keep me how much I squander (and I really don't know what else I could do to decrease my use substantially)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am suspicious of smart meters, store cards, Nectar cards; and the like. They all give somebody the opportunity to pry on your social behavior and quite often to sell such information to third parties. A bit like cookies.

I simply do not need nor do I want a smart meter.

Over recent years I have installed an 'A' rated boiler, fridge and freezer. I have insulated my loft to the recommended depth, my cavity walls have been insulated, I have fitted thermostatic valves to all radiators and most lamps in the house are energy saving types.

I can't really do more so if I feel cold, I turn up the heat, if the room seems dingy I put on some lights. I am not going to scrimp to save a few pounds. I intend to be comfortable in my final years. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Here I am using almost as much energy as a family in this old damp house, but such houses are fragile and need to be kept dry.

To this end I have enlisted the help of Care and Repair, an independent charity which helps people like me. I have been offered the services of a technical advisor - free of charge. He came last week and spent an hour discussing exactly what needed doing and in what order then started with electricians. He submitted two firms for my approval that they have had good reports on and gave me the opportunity to research them myself online. I agreed with his choice and he wrote to both of them asking for itemised quotes for the re-wiring and bringing the standard up to safety certification.

He also contacted two building maintenance contractors to arrange an appointment to assess the building work again with a view to preparing an itemised quote before 30th November 2018. If they don't he wants to be informed. So far one has come and I was quite impressed, because he didn't try and con me into having expensive work that wasn't necessary. For example new double glazing. He showed me that the windows themselves were sound but the frames need resealing and he would be happy to give them a safety certificate on that basis - for which his card shows he is qualified so to do.

I think if we have this little list done the house will be a lot cheaper to keep warm and dry. It's a typical end of terrace house built in 1900. The front bedroom has three windows and is big enough to put in an en suite. There are two more bedrooms and a big bathroom. The house has been extended twice at the rear, so there are two reception rooms and a very large kitchen on the ground floor. I think Bill the Bodger* and his tribe have done a lot of work very badly over the years and it's time to get things safe and warm.

Builder's To Do List.
Cap and ventilate chimneys and repoint brickwork, removing Buddleia.
Clean and adjust guttering.
Cover roof of bay window and fit new guttering round same.
Repoint brickwork under bedroom windows, kitchen windows and round the base of the house.
Inspect and clean drains and provide new rodent proof covers.
Fit new cold water tap outside the kitchen.
Remove and dispose of old stone garden walls.

*There are 19 downlights scattered over the kitchen ceiling that don't conform to safety standards. Do we replace them all? Will this need the ceiling to come down? etc etc etc.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That sounds like a rather large house that you live in MD, it must be a real problem to keep warm. I am not sure that your builders list will impact at all on your heating costs. You say the house is damp. If it was built around 1900 it probably has no damp course, did the builder mention that?

My house is not built to todays standards, it is 50 years old, but it must be more efficient than yours. I am tempted to send you my £300 winter warmth allowance to help out.......on second thoughts perhaps not ;) :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It's not a Big House really though more roomy than modern ones and it has nice high ceilings. Being end of terrace we are pretty well protected - not like when I lived in a bungalow in the middle of nowhere in Kent that really was unprotected. It's now pretty cosy 'cos I've got the heating on - I love it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - You house sounds lovely. I have to say I love old homes. They have such wonderful character and I always feel very comfortable in them however that being said they are sometimes cold & damp. Woodstoves usually tend to take care of both cold & damp and I do absolutely LOVE the feel of dry wood heat.

Your list of fix ups is a bit daunting but hopefully with good "reliable" repairmen it'll all go smoothly.