Musings

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Musings

Post by Mad Dilys »

Having my coffee and doing my morning musing exercise the following came to mind...……..

Once I was in a camping and army surplus store in Dartford Kent buying new pilot's shirts.

A couple of chaps came in and demanded attention and snob that I am I thought they looked pretty rough and ready for anything. They asked if the shop bought as well as sold government equipment and the owner asked what they had on offer.

Toothbrushes.

The owner covered his smile and asked if they were unused and how many did they have?

"Yes Guv, unused and best quality - we have several boxes of them, they are collector's items."

He offered a sample which was stamped HMP.

Anything interesting and or odd occurred to you recently?

Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Musings

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm not in favour of the niqab or anything which covers all or part of a woman's face. A large portion of the British community would agree with me and say it is a security issue.

Currently fashionable young men, those calling themselves "Hipsters" especially have started to wear really big bushy beards, making them unrecognisable if they were clean shaven, yet I haven't seen or heard a word about that being a security issue. Are they allowed to have passport photos with them wearing their beard?:tk
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The guide for passport photos says:

In your photo, you must:

be facing forwards and looking straight at the camera
have a plain expression and your mouth closed
have your eyes open and visible
not have hair in front of your eyes
not have a head covering (unless it’s for religious or medical reasons)
not have anything covering your face
not have any shadows on your face or behind you

Checking on Google I found examples where men had passport photos with or without a beard BUT when travelling they had changed their appearance by either growing a beard or becoming clean shaven and not having a problem at immigration. It seems that the eyes are the most important part of the face and a beard change may be questioned but is normally accepted.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have enough trouble remembering people without facial covering - no chance if he/she is bearded.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dylis
SHE? Bearded? You must have met my late aunt Edie. All bristly in the chin area, I hated greeting her with a kiss when I was a young boy. :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was just being PC Grandad. I have to get in training as my daughter is coming for a visit. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I just had my drivers licence renewed and they wanted my glasses off and no smile or even a hint of an expression. Very plain photo and my only disguise would be to put my glasses on and then like Superman totally become different! My hair is coded as blonde which it is although in reality I guess I could grow it all out to grey.

Our passport photos are the same but I do believe a man could have hit photo taken with any amount of facial hair.

Our most notable THING, if you will, is that our Government now allows us to put our gender on all legal documents as "X"!!!! We no longer have to declare as Male or Female we can now be an "X." I truly hope the rest of the world stops all the X people and demands to know IF they're male or female as truly there are only 2 choices 'cept for here.

Personally if you're a woman wearing a facial covering it MUST come off if you enter any type of public building i.e. bank, hospital, court etc just as men Must remove their hats. It is a security thing although I do believe it has been successfully argued in our courts that women have the right to fully cover up and never expose anything if they don't want to.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

LLL Don't get me started on the X factor, I'm in PC training remember. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Part of me wonders why our Gov't is now playing "Silly Buggers" with official documents? I truly hope all those people who use X to define their gender on official Passports get stopped wherever they're trying to go. Truly in the world we need to be crystal clear on WHO we are and when we have the rest of the world being male/female we now in Canada get to use an X.

Locally if it works for you to be an X - go for it but once you're out in the world I think being an X is only going to lead you (and our country by extension) difficult.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I loved it when a council decided that people could choose their own gender and a group of ladies took them up on it, deciding they were men for the day. Then they went to an outdoors bathing pool which was Men Only and used it in spite of protests and with big smiles. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

There is an increasing number of parents here raising their child 'gender neutral'. I simply don't get it. :(

Somebody said, 'in times to come we will look back and say what the hell were we doing'? F*cking PC :xx
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It may be nature's way of keeping the population down. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When my daughters will young I didn't want to stereotype them to girls in that I didn't want to give them ONLY dolls and never give them a chance to build with blocks hence I gave them a variety of toys (boys & girls). They both opted for dolls and all the girlie stuff. That was about as close to being gender neutral that I got.

In my day I fully understand that boys were exposed to more science & math & working with their hand & tools than girls which has resulted in more men going into "Traditional" male jobs i.e. engineering, construction, automotives while girls tended to go more into nursing & teaching but I think in the world of today both men & women are crossing those lines and barriers. Personally if there was a fire and I needed carrying out I want a MAN, a MALE Fireman to be doing this. No offence intended towards woman but I just don't believe women have the physical strength of a man.

We now have open change rooms at our swimming pools - both men & women use 'em. Quite a "special experience".........which also means if I take the grandkids to the pool "I" am still present IN the change rooms supervising even through the twins are pushing 9yrs old.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I wasn't in the least interested in dolls. Animals, helping my father gardening and with woodwork, learning about guns and knives and how they should safely be used, anything practical.

I was very small and determined. A fierce fighter who was always fighting the boys. I ended very tall and interested in ballroom dancing. :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I don't see any problem with girls and boys playing with each others toys. They have the choice and at a young age they are innocent of how the twisted psychologists might view it and put a slant on it.

What I really do not understand is parents who choose to dress their child in a neutral fashion and argue that the child can decide who/what it wants to be as it develops. Weird!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The oldest daughter was somewhat tomboy-ish and she much preferred her blue jeans and overalls. The younger daughter could never get enough frills. This dressing neutral is, to put it blunty, goofy. Why not just allow the child to dress in whatever they're most comfortable in? Seems a no-brainer to me.

As a child I had 1 doll that had 1 arm. Did have long blonde hair but really no clothes. From time to time if the mood caught me I'd cut up cloth into clothes for her.

My go to toys were all my animals. The dog, cat, budgie, goats, cows, rabbits, pidgeons, ducks, chickens. I didn't really have toys but I never lacked for anything to do as I filled my time with all the animals.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I hate to generalise but sometimes I do worry about the mentality of American Authority in general.

Just laughed till I choked on a story about an elderly Englishman who hoped to be going to America for Christmas. On his visa application form he unfortunately ticked the wrong box yes.

The question? "Do you intend to seek to engage in any terrorist activities" :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ahhh geez am sure that "yes" checked ended him up in hours and hours of discussion at a minimum.