Voting

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Voting

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is City election time and I just came from voting in the advance polls. Not that I can't make the actual Election Date (in two weeks) but that date is the day before I'm off for a couple of days and I'll probably have the car loaded and will be busy so just didn't want to leave it 'til the bitter end when I could vote this evening.

What I'm rather objecting to is that I went in and had to produce NO Identification to PROVE who I was! I simply had to state my name (which is a pretty common name) which they looked up in a book, gave me an ID number, I walked over to another table where I had to sign beside my name AND address and was given the ballot.

I really could have said I was Susie Smith or Debbie Brown or some other common name and WHO would have known?

This IMO is RIDICULOUS! I realize too at a Federal level our (for what it is worth) Leader of a PM is going to issue voter cards to anybody who asks for one. If you're illegal, refugee or from the Planet Pluto he is going to allow you to VOTE in our next elections......

Is this the same in the UK now?

Here you always had to produce some sort of photo ID but now about all you have to do is be able to stutter out a name!!! (NO wonder the country is going downhill fast)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Voting

Post by Horus »

Here in UK we have to have registered on the electoral role as it is a legal requirement that every household must return. At any election time, local or government, every eligible adult, will then receive a voting card that has to be shown at the polling station when you go to vote. There is also an option to apply for a postal vote if you are unable to attend in person for some reason. This was meant to cover older or disabled people who may struggle with attending, but it has been abused in the past mainly by candidates of Indian and Pakistani origin who have abused the system by obtaining multiple cards from people who are either coerced into handing them over or because they do not speak sufficient English to understand the system. It is also possible to send a proxy to vote on your behalf and again I consider this is also open to abuse, I was recently asked my opinion on the current voting system in the UK and I raised the question of voting abuse and put forward ways of eliminating this. We have to present our voting card and have it checked against the voting register in the polling station, this is the only proof of identity, so no card, no vote. However someone presenting multiple cards could cast all those votes to whoever they supported and this is where the abuse of the system happens.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Here you can get on the electoral roll by registering that you are a permanent resident at a certain address. There are a few other questions including, I believe, ethnicity but as long as it is your permanent address you will be able to vote.
My area has been Conservative for time immemorial, however in the 2017 general election the student activists latched on to the fact that all (about 30,000)students in the city COULD register to vote.
The result was that the long standing and respected Conservative MP was ousted from his seat and replaced by some unknown Labour candidate. My gripe is that the students are here for just three years and in that time they have at least two 'Permanent' addresses. After graduation they then go off to all points after disrupting a stable and long serving political representation in a constituency that they know nothing about, just persuaded by a few labour activists.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

When I voted in the National Elections in Luxor, similar to the UK we were issued with a numbered card with instructions on which polling station to use. This apparently is linked to the family name. Interesting how they manage all those called Mohamed! So those in our family went to different stations. No one I knew went with me, as only the voter was allowed in.

There were long and very slow moving queues outside the building which was a school, not surprisingly all the voters waiting on the playground after going through ID inspection at the school gates were women.

There were uniformed guards at all the doors and a few sitting in a group. The women were very friendly and jolly and one noticed that I had a walking stick and discretely attracted the attention of one of the sitting chaps who jumped up and indicated that I should queue jump and wait in his offered seat. I demurred but was pushed forward by the laughing women. I only had to wait about 10 more minutes before going in with my card.

The card was examined inside and I was issued with a sheet of paper with the names and photographs of the candidates and a square for the X. The chap who gave it to me pointed to each photo and said the name of the candidates and asked if I needed any help. They were doing this with each voter which accounted for the long queues. I think this is very fair as in Egypt a lot of women or come to that men are illiterate and it enables everyone to vote for their personal choice.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad what you are saying goes on in many areas and elections, take the last referendum, it was only such a close vote because many (normally uninterested) youngsters were stirred up to vote against it with most having little or no experience of what it involved or what the EU and the UK used to be like prior to all this forced unification taking place and therefore had nothing to make a reasoned decision upon.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus I remember, just before the referendum, being at my sons home. His eldest daughters boyfriend was there and I asked him what his views were on the referendum. He looked at me blankly and said 'What referendum?'
This was a young man, mid twenties, BMW senior car sales exec. I think that endorses what you have said, sadly......

(I would add that she has since dumped him)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When I was away from Canada I didn't vote. After a couple years in the USA I was no longer following Canadian politics as I really couldn't and didn't feel informed enough to vote so did however since I returned I registered with Elections Canada. Way back when we used to get cards and then we got mail outs with our name that we had to bring to the polling station with ID with an address etc. but now - anybody could have walked into that Polling station with a name and been eligible to vote.

In Trinidad when you vote they're still doing the dipping of a finger into ink after you vote.

As for Grandad's point - I can see that happening here. If any of the Candidate put effort into getting all the students at the local University on board to vote the vote could easily be swayed by a group who don't really even live here.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, the same applies to areas of high immigration where the local vote is often hijacked by heavy petitioning from one of their own, you only need to look at the Brexit vote which gave London with a more than 25% immigrant population all voting to stay in, this was going strongly against the national English trend to leave the EU.