Memory Triggers

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Memory Triggers

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys

This mainly concerns previous conversations with MD and is little more than trivia BUT......

On the local news section on breakfast TV this morning they reported a road accident and delays on the A228 between Colts Hill and Five Oaks Green which are over in west Kent.

My memory association clicked in and I remembered that my mother in law lived at Colts Hill (she actually died 21 years ago) She met her to be husband at a social event at Five Oaks Green. Details I found when doing the family history stuff.

Then I remembered that MD and I had discussed that area because my wifes cousins husband was a gamekeeper at Golden Green in that general area.

Funny thing memory and how a few words on TV can trigger memories......But as I said, trivia really :lol:

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Memory Triggers

Post by Horus »

Five Oaks, Seven Oaks :tk not very imaginative in your neck of the woods Grandad when it comes to place names :lol: although the last time I was in the area a few of the Oaks had gone, so Seven Oaks was a bit of a misnomer :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We have some good names H. There is a village called Ham not far from the town of Sandwich, and yes, there is a signpost to Ham Sandwich :lol: We have Old Wives Lees, Upper Hardres, and Densole, if you let your thoughts wander a little :lol: :lol:

As mentioned, my folks in Staffs live around Draycott in the Clay, always liked that one, and Barton under Needwood, also in that area, has a certain charm about it.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: I like the names, we have a couple locally that used to make me laugh as a kid when we were out in the family car in the days when you used to go out for a Sunday drive before petrol cost an arm and a leg. The two Cheshire vilages are called Upper Peover and Lower Peover, of course it is pronounced as Peever, but we kids insisted on saying Pee-Over :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:Five Oaks, Seven Oaks :tk not very imaginative in your neck of the woods Grandad when it comes to place names :lol: although the last time I was in the area a few of the Oaks had gone, so Seven Oaks was a bit of a misnomer :D
They planted some new ones :up

I lived in Three Elm Lane but the dreaded Dutch Elm disease finished what little was left - our village was Golden Green which I think sounds lovely - unlike Snodland which is on my early 17th century map of Kent.

I like Hall's Hole Road and Pratt's Bottom, I used to work at Badgers Mount and an obnoxious child I knew whenever he saw the signpost shouted "Indeed they do" to irritate his mother.

I was taught to tickle trout in the River Piddle in Dorset - I'm afraid I love trivia.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Trivially - here many places are named to reflect First Nation Indian Tribes and Bands. Ours here in my own direct area is the Snuneymuxw First Nation (pronounced [snʊˈneɪməxʷ]) which isn't terribly conducive to saying as a place name.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Place names make me smile, I used to live in a town called Luanshya (Loo-an-she-ah) in Zambia, I often mulled over the name and thought how beautifully it tripped off the tongue and how it conjured up an exotic place, that was shattered when a local African informed me it was the equivalent of saying "death valley" :lol: :lol:
But my favourite was Mpatamatu (Emm-pat-a- mar-too) which roughly translated as "the place in the river where the boat gets stuck" :D