Angel

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Angel

Post by Horus »

Following on from the Weeping Poppies display and whilst going through some old local photographs on an online site I came across this one.

The workmen were removing the angel statue from the top of Burslem town hall building for renovation purposes. Burslem is one of the five ‘Pottery’ towns that often featured in the novels of the author Arnold Bennett who was born in the area and died of typhoid in 1933, which goes to show how bad the area was back then, anyway back to the ‘angel’ on top of the local town hall.

One of Burslems famous sons is the singer Robbie Williams (singer, songwriter, entertainer) and one time member of the boy group ‘Take That’ who’s family still live in the area and he has a connection to the angel. He wrote the song ‘Angel’ with Guy Chambers after looking up and seeing the angel while watching a fountain and it inspired him to write about what it meant to him when visiting his home town. Some contest this version of events, but if you put the words in context with the features of his home town it does make sense.

Here is the lad himself plus the lyrics
phpBB [video]

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Angel

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting song and beautiful angel. I personally tend to like most statues and tend to admire the work of anybody who can make these type of carvings and statues. It also always of interest how they mounted them to buildings and incorporated statues into buildings.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Love the song & more interesting to know the meaning behind it :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I'd buy the story H. Always liked Robbie Williams, shame the group partially split down to just three.
It is their 30'th anniversary and my daughter in law along with a few girly friends is going to Luca in Italy next June to one of Take That's concerts. How great for the fans if Robbie and Jason Orange, the missing original members, rejoined for next years tour....
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Robbie Williams and his wife used to stay at Al Moudira in Luxor. One of my favourite places to go with friends. Lovely place but the gardening or lack of plant care is sadly at odds with the buildings and décor.
Smile! It confuses people