Dancing Queen

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Dancing Queen

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The daughter has now signed up the granddaughter into a Highland Dance Academy for an entire year (September to June-ish) of dancing and now the search is on for Ghillie Dancing slippers or shoes and finding locally proper dancing shoes and the kilt, cape, blouse, slip and vest or jacket. They can be had and there seems to be something of a market for used Highland dance outfits. Already the daughter has been scouring online and the Internet for where to buy an outfit and did manage to find one pair of black Ghillie shoes that are 1 size too big but I guess better than being 1 size too small. Right now the only "must haves" for the first month or so are knee high socks and the dance shoes however by December when the first recital happens a kilt, blouse and vest must be worn.

As per the daughter this particular Dance Academy is very competitive and she pushes all her dancers to compete so they all need full regalia as part of judging their dance routine is based on their outfit. That part didn't really seem too fair to me but I suppose if you're Highland or Irish Dancing in a competition you can't wear blue jeans.

The granddaughter herself is in seventh heaven at being enrolled. Hopefully she will be able to dance well enough to enjoy this.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Dancing Queen

Post by Horus »

It is a thing of beauty to see real Highland dancing, I have some footage somewhere (or did have) of various teams performing at an agricultural show some years ago. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have a cousin who is a few years younger than me who did Highland Dancing competitively when we were kids. She won quite a few competitions and was dancing all over eastern Canada and the USA. Not sure when she actually laid down the kilt but am sure her dancing career spanned 20 years or so.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

You might possibly have to turn your hand to a bit of dressmaking then, LLL? :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - in a word "nooooooooooooooooo" ;) Not nearly talented enough and I can't see me trying to make all the pleats in a wrap around that would fit her.

And - actually in reality, apart from my non-talent, I highly doubt I'd find tartan wool fabric cloth here. If I did happen to luck into kilt material I'm betting it would be so expensive that I could probably buy and have a pre-sewn kilt shipped all the way from Scotland to here for what it would cost just for the material.

I'm going to let the Dancing Queens Mom, my daughter, put her talents to searching out costumes and kilts and all the other do-dads and ornaments and some suches that she'll need IF IF IF she actually does dance well. I'll be front and center watching her and applauding loudly but not too sure I could ever sew a kilt.

My efforts so far over the summer have been to collect, save and then cut out these two still only quilt tops for the boys. Haven't even started yet on the Dancing Queens Christmas quilt which I'm making in larger blocks in a heart pattern pink/green/yellow fabric she said she liked.

Most of the strips have a Dinosaur, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, Star Wars guy, plant in outer space, bicycle or some such. The oldest twin loves red and the youngest loves green and now that they have their own bedrooms their blankets don't really need to be as colour coordinated and matching as before.

Haven't sewn the back of anything yet. Want to get the Granddaughters cut out and the top sewn then I'll start on the backs - but a Kilt ?????? AND the jackets - nooooo (not nearly skilled enough)