Does anyone remember them?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Does anyone remember them?

Post by Horus »

For anyone interested I came across this BBC coverage of the National Garden Festival that was held not far from me in 1986, Mrs H and I had season tickets and used to go quite often. It was built on the site of an old steel manufacturing site (Shelton Bar Iron & Steel) as part of a national regeneration scheme for derelict areas, Kiya may remember the one after ours which was held in Glasgow. After the festival ended some parts were retained, but mainly it became a new retail park with Shops, cinema, water world and an hotel. I do remember in the early stages the weather was awful, cold and wet, in fact it was a poor year weather wise. In this video the planting is all quite new, but it did mature over the months and the weather improved a little and we did have some lovely days out there, we often went in the evenings after I finished work during the Summer months. Most people in the UK will recognise all the famous gardening presenters in this video, of the two garden centres mentioned near the end ‘Bridgemere’ garden centre is still going and even larger still and covers many more acres than it used to. Unfortunately ‘Stapely Water Gardens’ which was famous for anything aquatic closed in the late 2000’s and now has houses built on the land. The marina is still there and you have seen me post images taken in that location just off the Trent & Mersey canal and who knows we may even be somewhere in the crowd ;)

phpBB [video]

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Does anyone remember them?

Post by Grandad »

Don't remember that one H. :(
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm surprised because we had three of them, one in Wales, one in the Midlands and one in Scotland, all within a couple of years.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely gardens in the video but " no I don't remember " & very young looking Alan Titchmarsh.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I am surprised, they were a big thing at the time with lots of publicity for them. :ni:
Here is abit more information on them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Garden_Festival
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I don't remember the gardens, but I always watched Geoff Hamilton. He started a new TV garden post Percy Thrower with a chap much older than him who I believe had been a business man. Can't remember the name of a Gardens, but I do remember the first programme where they were breaking ground in this field - it wasn't Barnesdale that was the name of the next garden when everything was moved to his house called Barnesfield I think.

I was most amused by Tictchmarsh's squeaky voice. I really liked him untill he started "presenting" and became hugely pompous with a deep measured voice - especially when presenting an antiques show. :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

You have jogged my memory and I remember listening to BBC Gardeners Question Time. Why I would listen to that escapes me because I have never had much interest in gardening. Two names from that time come to mind apart from Percy Thrower; they were Clay Jones and Stefan Buczacki. That must be going back a bit. :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I remember Percy Thrower advising on the Blue Peter garden, must have been 1960s? I don't kow about Clay Jones, but Stefan was chairman for many years, I would say well into the 1980s or more.

How about Geoffrey Smith? I hung over his garden fence in Yorkshire, with a friend and we criticised it. I was a great fan. She knew him well and could afford to pay him to do work for her, but she wouldn't introduce me because she said I would be disappointed! That was over 40 years ago and I still wonder why. :lol:
Smile! It confuses people