The Marsh

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

The Marsh

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I can't compete with Grandad's foxes but I do have geese!

Today the geese seemed to squawk and fight way more than usual so I took me down there to have a look see at what they're squabbling about so much.

The pathway is getting more and more covered over

Lots of ferns out now

And the marsh itself is very covered over with "growth" aka weeds? The bullrushes have almost always been there but usually it is open water. You can see towards the mid-right of the photo 2 Canadian geese sitting amidst the water weeds. Usually that area is open water and the water level seems tome to be lower than usual too.

Two years ago we had the worst drought of all time ever. Lots of the out Islands lost their water supply but the marsh stayed quite wet and wasn't this low nor did it have this abundance of stuff on it. As the geese seem to be excessively noisy am wondering if not having open water to tool around in is contributing.

Usually you can see lots of ducks out there but am not seeing those either. Will have to watch it some more.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: The Marsh

Post by Horus »

It does look quite shallow.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

When I lived on the farm, the neighbouring field was about 10/12 acres of wheat. One day I counted over 200 Canada Geese grazing there. Didn't seem to affect the crop.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

At a local lake/park we have hundreds of them, you cannot walk in some areas for poo. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The marsh is usually fairly high and it does even, during rainstorms, flood over the trail I showed. Not lots but it does come up and make that trail wet enough you can't really walk it well.

First time I've noticed it that low and with that much gucky stuff on it. Usually it has the reeds but also just plain water.

We have a real problem IMO with Canadian geese. They love it here, breed quite successfully and manage to poop sufficient to foul our lakes for human swimming. You can swim but their poop brings on a parasite which gives "swimmers itch" in that if you don't immediately shower and vigorously towel off you're going to break out in an itch as the parasites grow or burrow into your skin. Really quite awful and not being able to even swim in our own lakes cause of an over abundance of geese is really rather NOT managing the flock.

I think two summers ago now Conservation guys went through and took all the geese out of this back swamp. Like yesterday they're noisy and honking and squabbling all day. One day it was suddenly silence and while that is 'golden' (as in the goose who laid the golden egg) the sudden silence was very telling that all the geese out there (more than I could count) were suddenly removed.

Course this brings on all the Environmentalists who scream bloody hell that #1 the geese were here first, #2 they have a 'right' to be on the lakes #3 we have to protect them and feed them blah blah blah blah blah.....