Has anybody had .... or do you know ??

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Has anybody had .... or do you know ??

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So was down to see the Dr this past week referencing a pain I've had in my right side for the past couple of years. Initial thought was it was a kidney stone but x-rays & ultrasound show nothing and then the appendix ruptured so we all figured it was that but 'no' the pain came back.

Now the Dr is thinking "adhesion(s)" in that I've had multiple surgeries and possibly something is growing to something. He did mega blood work and all of that is normal. Have a CT Scan scheduled for mid-June (my scheduling not theirs) so they can see more.

Anybody have any knowledge or of experience with an adhesion? I know nobody who has ever had one or any so am gearing up to figure if this is something serious or not.

All the Dr told me was that IF an adhesion is growing near my colon it could suddenly strangulate in which case my intestines die (and probably me too! :sd :sd )

All will be figured out in time but in the meantime just wondering if anybody has any experience with this???

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Has anybody had .... or do you know ??

Post by Horus »

No experience of it, but I have heard about this happening. It is when one organ attaches itself to another, in normal situations the various organs float about in a sort of 'slime' for want of a better word and that lets them slipe and move independantly, if this barrier is compromised in some way then organs can attach to each other when in contact, that at least is my understanding of the condition.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

LLL I had my appendix out in my early 20s and got an adhesion, which bothered me at first, but got used to and doesn't bother me unless constipated or suffering a general tummy bug. At it's worst it was like a period pain. :up

I had just written an explanation of the omentum in my experience as a Veterinary Theatre nurse and lost it. :oops: Maybe later?

The butchers used to call it fleed when I was a kid and faggots were wrapped in it when offered for sale. I used it a lot in Luxor for wrapping roast meat, wonderful stuff.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - after your appendix went how did you know you had an adhesion? How was it diagnosed?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

They told me at the hospital on follow up check. It was well over 50 years ago and I can't remember how they diagnosed it. For other problems I have had barium enemas and meals don't know if it was found that way?

Just 're-read your OP. I thought an adhesion was a joining together I haven't heard of one "growing" . Interesting.

Back in the day in th Veterinary Hospital if an adhesion was considered dangerous it was excised and repaired with great care, as there was a great chance of making it worse rather than better.
Best of luck
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I've never heard of them before so am curious about them. I have to go back for a CT Scan (mid-June although that was my timing preference) and drink barium the evening before and then 1 hour before the scan the following morning. IF I have adhesion I then will have to see a specialized surgeon who will decide if they can laproscopically proceed or if I need a full cut open!