Visitor

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Visitor

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was gazing out the front window this afternoon watching the rain come down when suddenly this guy jump up and onto the Hydro box that is out front. I've planted a bush beside it and he was down there. I watched him for a minute then went to get my camera figuring he'd be gone by the time I got back.

He was now sitting on the rock out front beside the sidewalk.

I don't know if this guy was a hawk or falcon but he seemed to be taking his time just sitting out there.

I didn't notice it 'til I downloaded the photos that he had a band on his leg either. Was quite pretty and definitely was taking his time out front.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Visitor

Post by Grandad »

Beautiful bird LLL. I am not that good at identifying birds of prey but I think that is a sparrow hawk. Different marking from a kestrel but I may be wrong. It might have been ringed when a chick or it might come from a falconry centre. Do you have one in your area?
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You were very privileged to get that photo, well done.
My guess is that it is a Peregrine Falcon, but it could be a Merlin, hard to say for sure, perhaps a local person could tell you better. It has most likely been ringed as part of conservation or wildlife program, but there is a chance it was aviary bred and escaped.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

He seemed quite intent on getting down between a bush and the hydro box then hopped over and sat on the rock which is where I got his photo. This is also beside the sidewalk and you can see the neighbours car parked on the street.

He didn't seem too bothered to be sitting there and sat for quite a few minutes.

Far as I know there is only 1 Raptor Center here and it is about a hour or so drive south but am not thinking that distance would be too far for a Falcon to fly. This Center however mostly takes rescued birds of prey. I was there a couple years ago and the were not a breeding center and I'm not aware of anybody local who would be raising these guys but possibly there is.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Beautiful! I'd say it was a Merlin as he's only wearing a dark cap - the Peregrine's dark head colouring is carried down toward the shoulders. But what a privilege anyway to have such a lovely visitor.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree MD, my first thought was a Merlin, but the feathers looked a bit fluffed around the head and I could not make out how dark those head feathers were around the cheeks, hence my uncertainty. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh its a beauty :)