Cholera HERE where I live!

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Cholera HERE where I live!

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I sometimes think living on this Island is like living in a bad B Rated movie. Not only now do we have rabbits dropping all over the place from some rare disease that has only ever been recorded here 3 times in all our history NOW we have CHOLERA!

Warnings have been going out all day that we are not allowed to eat Herring Eggs as there are now three separate confirmed cases of cholera in the eggs!

Here people stick stick in the shallow waters and when the herring come and spawn they lay eggs that hang in huge clusters from the sticks. Lots also go out and "rake" the herring (long board with nails that they paddle through the water spearing herring) and/or you can go to Herring Sales where you can buy a bucket for $5 (well last time I bought a bucket it was $5 but probably a bit more now). Herring are then brought home and pickled which is the BEST thing I've ever eaten - pickled herring (and I'm not above eating the eggs either) but I guess not this year.

All in all it sure seems diseases are breaking out and coming back that we thought were long gone.

This is the article:

Officials are warning people not to consume herring eggs found on kelp, seaweed or other surfaces from the French Creek to Qualicum Bay area after cases of cholera were confirmed on Vancouver Island.

According to Island Health, there are three confirmed cases of Vibrio cholerae infection that are associated with eating herring eggs. The bacteria can be found in the aquatic environment and can cause intestinal illness after eating contaminated foods.

Symptoms can include mild to severe nausea, vomiting and very severe, watery diarrhea. Island Health said anyone who has eaten herring eggs in the area and has fallen ill should drink small amounts of fluid frequently to keep hydrated. They should also see a doctor and let the physician know if they have eaten raw or lightly-cooked eggs within five days of onset of illness or caring for someone who became ill after eating herring eggs.

Some people don’t become ill and don’t know if they are infected. The bacteria can be passed from infected people even if they’re not displaying symptoms. The health authority recommends people wash their hands well after going to the bathroom or caring for someone who has been ill.

Anyone who has stored herring eggs is asked to call the First Nations Health Authority Environmental Public Health Services at 250-924- 6125. Samples are being requested for testing and should be kept cold and in original packaging. Extra stored herring eggs can be thrown out to avoid future illness as freezing does not kill the bacteria.

When handling herring eggs, people should practice proper handwashing and sanitize dishes and equipment to avoid cross contaminations, Island Health said.

Island Health is continuing to investigate the cases with the BC Centre for Disease Control and First Nation. The investigation includes testing of marine water samples, leftover food samples, clinical samples and assessing the handling and distribution of the harvested project.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada announced Friday afternoon that they are closing Pacific Fishery Management Areas 14-1, 14-4, and 14-5 to fishing for herring eggs by handpicking. The closure is based on advice from Island Health. Fisheries and Oceans said Vibrio cholera is an unusual organism not normally found in water in this region or in Canada.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Cholera HERE where I live!

Post by Horus »

Cholera in a developed world country should never happen, it is basically a disease of bad sanitation, are they discharging untreated sewage into the surrounding water? Normally Cholera is found in contaminated drinking water, usually streams, wells etc. Fortunately it is easily treatable but can be passed on very easily if someone has been in contact with faeces in any way and not thoroughly washed their hands. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That is alarming LLL. Hopefully investigation will identify the source and, even better, pin the three current cases to the same source. The best hope is that this is an isolated occurrence.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is CRAZY and totally disgusting that WE have cholera happening in OPEN WATERS! The water that this is happening in is open water of the Pacific Ocean! Can't believe it and herrings - eating them - is extremely popular here.

The stretch of water between French Creek and Qualicum is also MILES long. It isn't like this is one small spot this stretch of water is huge! Not heavily populated either but really this is a "What is going on??!!??!!" matter.