Hobo and Tagging

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Hobo and Tagging

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've talked about this on other threads that we have a serious problem of homelessness and very few rentals available. Today our City Hall threw $350,000 at this problem in that they're wanting to develop a drop in Center for the Homeless to go to during the day (maybe night too - dunno).

After issuing this they executed an order to have the Homeless Tent City that is camped around City Hall disbanded.

One of my gf who lives close to downtown has an alley going behind her house. She and other neighbours regularly walk down the alley so as to pick up discarded needles so the school kids won't come in contact with them.

Anyway (am getting to the point) on her back fence by the gate she found a deliberate single line chalk mark. Just a straight line going across the fence post next to the gate. This has essentially freaked her into thinking this single line might be a "mark" to identify her place as maybe a target home to rob or that she is a solo elderly lady living there or ?

I was looking online and came across this

which is a chart of signs and symbols that Homeless or Hobos use to communicate with other Hobos.

Anybody ever hear of this? None of these is a single straight line so not applicable to the friend but was surprised to find an actual chart.

Are your neighbourhoods tagged? We're getting more and more of it here. Some is fairly artistic but lots of it is relatively amateurish.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Hobo and Tagging

Post by Mad Dilys »

Six from the top and three from the left - single horizontal line meaning "doubtful".
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hmm - seeing that now too but "doubtful" would really mean? If it was a deliberate mark on her post what would doubtful mean or imply or convey?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Doubtful I think means last place to try your luck. That would be OK with me.

We used to have the same sort of marks left on gate posts and walls when I was young. I only remember a Romany telling me that if you were kind and respected everyone they would leave a mark to say don't steal from this person and they will be kind to you. Don't push your luck was another. Keep away and so on.

I always got on very with with the Romanys. My mother used to pick fruit and hops along side them and they knew my father was a policeman, but it was never an issue. Travellers are quite different....

A Romany friend of mine came out to Luxor and trained my stallion. She was/is pretty amazing.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It was a common enough practice years ago in the UK when Tramps (hobo's) would leave a chalk sign on a wall or gate of a property where they could get a handout. It has not been so in recent years, but being marked out as a target by certain groups like drug addicts or thieving travellers posing as gypsies would not be so strange as similar codes have been used before. For example it is a well know crime statistic that once someone has been burgled they are often robbed again after about 6 weeks or so because the criminals realise that by then you will have replaced all the stolen goods with new stuff.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've been thinking about "doubtful" ..... :tk :tk

If you put doubtful in the context of Drug Addicts then I might interpret it as meaning "doubtful there are drugs in this house" and if they saw my gf although she is old she is very healthy. No sense she is a frail or sick or would be taking meds so I guess I'm interpreting the single line as a positive for my friend meaning the Druggies are probably apt to leave her place along as they doubt there would be drugs.

She has since been out and scrubbed the mark off leaving nothing. I'd imagine she'll probably go out and re-check to see if, over time, it reappears.

When I was a kid there were Hobos. Men 99% of the time who were homeless and just wandered about doing sufficient odd jobs to keep themselves alive. Don't think I ever saw a woman hobo but I was aware of men usually dirty, unshaven, dressed it filthy clothes.

Now the homeless are mostly drug addicts IMO. Not all but most people here who find themselves on the streets usually have addiction issues. This City is actually right now in the midst of an opiod crisis. I'm guessing it was a Druggie who put the mark OR as our other friend said - one of the neighbourhood kids playing with a chalk crayon.