Series on Netflix

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Series on Netflix

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Last night I was Episode #1 of a series (not sure how many episodes) called ROTTEN

It is a 2017 documentary type series re: food production. Episode One was concerning BEES and Honey production worldwide with the introductory issue being that worldwide the demand for honey is increasing yet worldwide bees are decreasing so WHERE is all this HONEY coming from?

Was very interesting (to me) as while I was aware of concerns re: decreased bees and vaguely aware that honey is becoming more popular I was very unaware of what has currently been happening in that Industry. Well worth the watch IMO.

I quite enjoyed hearing all about the Honey Industry so I watched Episode TWO which started out focusing on PEANUTS and that industry and then moved into how allergies are increasing particularly in children and the roll of peanuts. Again quite interesting and mentioning it here in case you're looking for something interesting to watch - the title "ROTTEN" initially put them off but the first two episodes have been informative and interesting and provided me with info I didn't realize.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Series on Netflix

Post by Horus »

I have already watched the first episode about the honey, makes interesting viewing. :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I never knew that Honey was tested that extensively in Germany and/or that the Chinese were being that devious about their exports. Nor did I realize that so many orchards in California were growing Almonds although everything here seems to be Almond this or Almond that and the mega $$$$ they're paying to have their orchards pollinated. IF I was an Almond grower I'd also be managing my own hives!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

To me one of the most disturbing aspects was that most of Americas bee population was transported to a single area of California during the Almond flowering season. This must put them massively at risk of some natural or local catastrophe that could wipe them all out at a stroke or a virus that cross infected all the hives that were taken there.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I had absolutely NO idea that was happening either and that same thought was crossing my mind that ALL of the Bees from ALL the far corners were ALL being brought to the same area at roughly the same time so that they all could be exposed to something could be totally devastating.

Was also surprised that all the other orchards are going and Almonds are being put in so heavily too.

I've thought about doing a small hive here because I am concerned that bees are disappearing however I just haven't gotten around to thinking too seriously about it yet.

I'm up to Episode 4 which I think is the chicken industry. Have to admit I snoozed through the Garlic hystrionics but think I'll like watching whatever is the latest re: chickens. I do personally believe that it is next to criminal to keep 'battery birds' - those poor ladies who can hardly move and are mostly kept in a box just to produce eggs. IMO if you can't get out into the daylight and walk about then the chicken producer should be seriously looked at.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Talking of Almonds, I remember seeing a program where is said that those trees take a huge amount of water just to produce the nuts, water that is a finite resource in California as they are tapping into the below ground aquifer to meet the demand and that will take thousands of years to replenish, so once it has gone it has gone, that seems such a waste of a finite resource.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't think I've ever actually seen an Almond tree but I think you're right cause when I was watching the Episode and I think it was when they were showing the bit about the guy who had his hives stolen I noticed that the entire orchard looked flooded. Struck me as a bit strange that there would have been enough RAIN to cause that much water but now that you mention it I'm betting the growers were actually flooding the orchard.

The twins because of their allergy to dairy drink ONLY Almond milk. We get it here in plain, vanilla, chocolate and in half gallon size waxed cartons. It is more expensive than milk but I'm just happy they have an alternative to milk to drink.

They're actually getting better with their dairy allergies as they're getting older. They can eat eggs now baked into something, small grilled cheese sandwiches which is making life immensely easier for everybody all 'round. The theory going 'round here is that if it is introduced small they'll hopefully accommodate to it vs Never ever getting it and then suddenly having some by mistake and bringing on a huge reaction. They don't get much but the daughter sometimes will give them an egg (baked into something) plus butter on their bread or grilled cheese. If they don't react (which is hives and scratching) she'll know that that amount is ok but if they break out then she'll cut back.

I don't experiment with them at all though! ;)

I found the series interesting and was amazed at China's efforts to adulterate honey! As in REALLY? Adding rice syrup to it?? Wow!

Honey is very popular here. Seems everybody goes out of their way to buy local which is the clear transparent Fireweed. After the logger log out an area of bush and the slash is burned the beekeepers bring in their hives once the purple flowered fireweed grows (and it only grows in areas that have recently been burned). All the grocery stores carry it in different sizes as well as other honey but most sold here is local.