Giving a Gift

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Giving a Gift

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just watched a news article on the morning news re: Gifts and Giving. The theme of the news article is that now in the world of personal gift giving lots of bad feels are being started in the receiver of the gift if they perceive it as a gift you've bought at some point during the year and then held it. They are apparently seeing you (the giver of the gift) as hurting their feelings because apparently the gift giver is not providing them with a spontaneous show of love. The giver is not being seen a spontaneous, loving, truly giving and/or thoughtful of them!!!

I watched because I DO gather gifts particularly for the grandkids as I go through the year. I highly doubt they've ever thought any of this cr*p (and if they do they'll just have to live with it) HOWEVER in todays touchy feelie world how crazily extreme are people going with their thinking? And then you have others who are obviously studying and publishing this stuff and putting it on the News now for all to hear and listen to (in other words validating this level of silly 'feeling'!)

The person who did this study said the average household gives close to 50 gifts per year now (am I out of touch) so the development of having a gift closet is seen as being easy, convenient, thrifty etc. Having a stockpiled gift ready to produce in todays world this is not seen as being caring, thoughtful, loving and the giver is now being perceived as not really caring!!!

I guess I could see if you GIVE a sled in the middle of summer but otherwise I honestly have to say (with Grandkids exception) IF I give a gift and you don't perceive it as NOT being exactly specific to you and therefore thinking I don't know you as well as I should so as to tailor the gift to exactly what you want................well, you're right! I probably don't but I also probably "don't care!!"

Geez - what a telling study on the state of the world today. AND sadly I believe what the study says - we probably are that feelingly silly in this day and age!

Brings to mind the phrase "damn'd if I do and damn'd if I don't"

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Giving a Gift

Post by Grandad »

What a load of cr*p LOL

If you buy gifts for people you intuitively buy something you believe the recipient would like. Whether you buy it in January or December for Christmas. All of my family,except Louis, have reached a point where it is difficult to buy gifts for them. Apart from our problems of getting around the shops, they all have all that they want and have high expectations. So this Christmas, for the first time, everyone will receive a useful sum of GBP to do with what they wish.
BUT to each one it will be given with love. :a52:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That's me Grandad, I am afraid that without Mrs H's input I am pretty useless with presents :(
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Only one monetary gift to son no.2 this year. I've asked the other adults what type of thing they would like so I've gone out and bought them. The children NEVER get money from me. They are too young, and there are always new toys they want anyway. What is a bit difficult is both sons birthdays are right on top of Christmas - one on the 28th Dec and one on the 2nd Jan. Now THAT will be difficult! :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well I never Ruby - my youngest daughter's birthday is New Year's Eve and her father's was Christmas Eve - we have so much in common. :up
Smile! It confuses people