Ho Ho Ho

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Ho Ho Ho

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ho Ho Ho. This is as festive as it is going to get this year. Put out the four blow ups late this afternoon since the lights went up and the weather was decent. I quite like these blow ups as they're so easy and simple but they do add a bit of oomph to the front and the lights (and the Grandkids love them). Plus they all pack away in small tidy square boxes too.

I'm more than tame and mundane decoration-wise compared to some of the neighbours on this street who must have a veritable fortune in outside decoration(s). Takes them days to get everything put out and days to get it all dry and brought back in. Kinda makes me wonder what the inside of their homes look like.

Outside is done and the inside is slowing taking shape this year too. Am not in too much of a rush inside. Whatever gets put up will get put up by the Grandkids who see it as their job to decorate particularly the fake tree although this year they're all going to get to cruise the bush and cut down their own tree which should be an exciting morning for them.

Anybody else decorating and getting all the holiday stuff out there?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Ho Ho Ho

Post by Horus »

Your place is looking really great for the Grand kids LLL. :up
I used to go the whole hog at Christmas and Mrs H would always tell everyone about the huge number of decorative lights sets that I had up in the loft amongst the rest of the Christmas stuff. :oops: Nowadays I do far less as the Grand kids are all grown up now and it hardly seems worth the while, so this year apart from the Christmas cards I doubt if I will have any real signs of Christmas in my home.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I like the idea of celebrating the change to more hours of daylight by a bit a festivity with friends and relatives, but frankly Christmas Celebrations as we oldies knew it has now become a rather tacky and tedious affair.

We aren't a Christian family, but then what has Santa Claus and reindeer got to do with Christianity?

So I'm hoping to have all the family here, we'll squeeze in somewhere and play games, laugh and those that like it will have a drink or too and the rest of us will just over indulge and love doing it.

Of course there will be presents - but there are always presents when we meet anyway. :lol: 8)
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

If I had to climb all over the roof and string lights and store and carry out all the great big solid Christmas displays of years ago it wouldn't happen (it actually never did happy outside). I've had these blow up guys for about 4 yrs now and have added an extra one every year. I need one more for the other far end of the front (so there will be 5) and then I'll be complete but that one will come next year. And I still have a spiral Christmas tree to put in the center (and get the extension cord out for the Snowman so nobody trips on the cord.

These blow ups are really just a carry them out, plug them in and you get a display. They're all only about 4' high so they don't really need tethering or anything like that as being so close to the house they're fairly protected.

The roof line is low too so a step stool is all that is needed to hook the lights onto the gutter. One hour is totally all that is needed so I don't mind doing that. If it was a major production as I see some homes doing I doubt I'd be doing it. (Plus if it was only ME I doubt I'd do it either but the Grandkids like it)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I restarted putting up the decorations when my GD was born 9 years ago. Before that, they hadn't been up for nearly 30 years. We have Christmas Day on our own (by request) and the family all come for Boxing Day, which is treated like a semi Christmas Day. I lay out a buffet, with something to please everyone, GD, son no.1 and DIL get their presents and usually everyone is gone by about 3pm. That's as much bother as I want too! :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I used to do both Christmas day (me and the daughter plus my parents) then Boxing Day which was my brother and his family, my friends and my daughters. It all kinda stopped when I went to the USA however usually managed to get us (me and the girls) together for Christmas.

I tried to start it again with my brother and his family once I came back but it just never happened so now I prefer to have Christmas Eve Day dinner (turkey etc) and then I take the prezzies for everybody over to them late Christmas morning when they're ready for a second wind.

I have to say I definitely like doing Christmas Eve Dinner so I get leftovers on Christmas day. The holidays have definitely dwindled down over the years although this year I'm going to the Garden Club Christmas dinner which is nice cause there are lots of older single people there and lots of good arguments about Gardening. It is also the Garden club's time to hand out the awards for best tulip/rose/turnip/whatever (I have yet to participate in any of the gardening as whilst I grow a tulip - I basically grow a RED tulip vs a King Xavier the Fifth variety :))) I don't know the names of most of what I have. I know what they are but not down the specific variety.

I might start taking floral arrangements next year. They do have a section where you can take - in a decorative vase - a single stem, two stems, 3 stems etc. In other words one category every body can compete in.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am finding a lot of commonality in what you ladies and Horus have said. :up

It is probably 10 years since we had all the family for Christmas day, it really got to be stressful and hard work. Since then we wait for THEIR invitations to come to us. :lol: On another point we stopped sending Christmas cards to other than family and instead make a contribution to the Parkinsons Trust, this came about when a nephew was diagnosed with the condition.
This year we will go to #1 sons for Christmas Day, they have Louis who is 8 and Christmas still has some magic. On Boxing day we will go to our daughters. She has our grandchildren Hannah 20 and Liam 22 so a more adult affair. As everyone likes a drink our respective son and son in law will collect us in the mornings and we have booked taxis for our return home. :x Double time at Christmas.......

As for decorations we don't bother much. Just an illuminated berry tree and some swags over mirrors and pictures, plus the small number of cards and that is about it. Christmas really doesn't mean much and our two days with the family will be quite enough... :a52:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I guess I'd better source a Halal Turkey! Actually it would make a change from chicken or fish. I prefer turkey to chicken even though in a previous existence I raised them from day old by the hundred single handed AND looked after hundreds of laying hens at the same time................. I was wondering today where the hell I used to get my energy from, but I have no idea. :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would be surprised if all the Turkey sold today is not Halal as is most chicken, it seems to be the norm today for many meats.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Really? :o How can I be sure?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Because it will have an Halal symbol on the packaging somewhere, there are absolutely dozens of variations on the theme, but basically it will say Halal and usually has arabic text as well, similar to this:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:( I've looked for that before, without any luck - but I'll keep looking. Thanks Horus :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have mentioned our youngest grandchild, Louis, who is 8 but will be 9 in January. He is still excited by the Father Christmas thing. Two of his best friends, twin boys who live nearby, have been brought up by their parents to understand the truth about the Father Christmas story. As a result they openly deny the existence of FC to friends at school and at play. Very sad I think. Kids get to know the truth gradually but for years they are enchanted by the story if allowed to be.
I can still remember waking very early and the excitement of finding wrapped presents at the foot of my bed. I know MD has said that FC has nothing to do with Christianity but I disagree, it is a contrivance of the Three Wise Men bringing gifts and long may it survive in this changing and largely dumbing down world.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS :a52: :a52:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mad Dilys wrote::( I've looked for that before, without any luck - but I'll keep looking. Thanks Horus :up
As I say there are lots of variants, but usually it is circular and in that horrible drab green colour. It is so common on many products that it has led to many complaints from people who object to being subjected to the practice of Halal by stealth. Basically the food manufacturers in their desire for more profit have bowed to the minority Muslim market and often have a Halal verification in a “one size fits all” attempt to be deemed acceptable to everyone regardless of their views. This results in products like (believe it or not) Kelloggs Corn Flakes having the Halal symbol on their box, it is so small that you actually need a magnifying glass to see it, but it is there if you look. Now to my mind that is underhanded as I along with many others would object to the Halal practice in food production and to me it makes a mockery of the custom when it has to be applied to a box of Corn Flakes.

I needed a magnifying glass to take this image
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I pulled off my Father's cotton wool beard when he brought the presents in. I was about 5 or 6 years old and shared a bed with my sister who was about 11 years old and really believed in Santa Clause. Her disappointment was yet another reason to hate me. :urm: And the first time I realised that sometimes my parents lied. :(

With my own children when they were old enough to ask how Santa was in so many shops, I said they weren't the real Father Christmas just pretending and it was a Good Fun Game to go along with the pretence. After that they didn't ask any more, but wrote their Christmas wish list and sent it up the chimney in the smoke from the fire. They left milk and biscuits for Santa plus a few carrots for the Reindeer then next morning gave the milk to the cats ( if they hadn't finished it) biscuits to the dogs and took the carrots out to the goats. It was just a fun game and they never revealed the secret to believing children.

Of course they didn't have much peer pressure as we lived in a pretty remote place with no other children within a mile. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You mean you didn't have to half eat the carrot like I did :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Love your post MD. I believe that childhood should be fun and if there is a bit of mystery around Christmas and Santa Claus, then so be it and long may it last. :up :lol: :a52:

Edit PS to Horus: Or take a bite out of a mince pie. :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No I would eat the mince pie leaving a few crumbs, drink the sherry and bite the carrot. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The twins and granddaughter believe in Santa. I'm sure the twins who are pushing 8 this January will have their doubts about the existence of Santa but I see it all as a harmless belief that brings mystery and excitement with it.

I know lots of people now, as adults, say they learned their parents LIED TO THEM but at the time I hardly doubt as children they really were that overly concerned about parental lies. If anything the angst might have been that they wouldn't get any more presents is there was NO Santa but translating it all that parent LIED is :urm: :urm: not something a child would be really thinking. I also hardly doubt that the revelation that Santa isn't real wasn't the SOLE and ONLY LIE a parent has ever told them either yet now they tout it out as a major crisis time learning Santa wasn't real and their parent had lied! Seems a thematic story some adults love to tell.

Santa is a lovely fantasy that brings in a lovely season if you so choose to see it that way. A time of family, giving and sharing and if you're not thinking Christmas what else would you really be doing this dreary time of year anyway?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Maybe not the only lie LLL, but usually the first one and that's why people remember.

The second memorable one for me was when as a weekly boarder at school I came home to find my dog had gone.

Earlier, on my birthday parents told me they were getting rid of the dog - I was so upset it wasn't mentioned again. It was some months later when I arrived home to find he was missing.

They told me they had given him to the RSPCA who would find a good home for him. On the way back to school I rang the RSPCA and said we had changed our mind and wanted him back. They answered that they didn't have facilities for keeping dogs until a home was found and I must be mistaken. I never mentioned it to my parents but I was deeply disappointed in them for the lack of honesty they showed - and always tried to impress on me that was necessary in a decent human being.

About 4 years later when we had moved nearer to the school and I was about 16 years old I volunteered to help at the RSPCA clinic and it was true they didn't have facilities for rehoming at that time.

Honesty has always been very important to me so in the light of the above I was always honest with my children and they have always been very frank and open with me - sometimes I got too much information though! :lol:

PS I found a reputation for honesty was a great advantage when running a business in Luxor. Apparently I tell it how it is and don't take prisoners. :oops: :lol: :lol: