Up Island

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Up Island

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Went up island today to Campbell River.

Stopped in Willow Point and there were still a few carved statues left in the beach front park there from the annual chain saw carving competition June/July-ish.

Not that this guy is my most favourite art subject I did like this carving but maybe cause it is almost Hallowe'en here.

Quite liked the intertwining Elephants

And bears here are a perennial favourite.

Since it was Canada's 150th birthday not surprising somebody did a carving for it.

This carving is quite a bit more simplistic and blockish than the others but it has a certain appeal to me.

Was downtown too which is dominated by the waterfront. All the store front face the ocean so main street is a bit lopsided. Was a gorgeously sunny day with not a cloud in the sky.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Up Island

Post by Grandad »

Love all those carvings and the logs on the beach LLL. And very nice pictures of the boats in the harbour. I really do think you live in a lovely part of the world. Shame about some of the politics that you have told us about. :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes great photos and the carvings are brill, I also agree with Grandad that you live in a very tranquill looking part of the world.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great photos LLL, especially the elephants & bears :)

And do like the reflections of the boats/masts :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I quite liked the elephants facing each other. That was carved by a 'novice' (not sure where that actually puts that person n the world of carving though)

This is a brief of the history where by Max Chickite (native carver) went down to the beach one day and carved out an octopus. From there it was history and the town embraced carving.

http://crshorelinearts.ca/history/

This is a more current carving by Max Chickite located in the back corner of the park. As with native tradition it is FACING the water.

Weatherwise it definitely was a beautiful one yesterday and really I went there because the local Rotary club built a new suspension bridge over a water fall up by the Hydro Dam.

En route I passed this open long house. Exterior walls are gone as is the flooring and there is now a new Long House built closer to the Reserve.

Couple carvings from other years

Going along the highway saw this smoke plume. It was coming from Quadra Island and was definitely standing out

Getting up to the area of the new Suspension bridge walked across the water supply for the city and then down trails and up and around and about

The north end of the City is not developed at all so you're still able to get some nice scenery and views and vistas

Then to the Suspension Bridge which crossed the biggest waterfall. The only disappointing part of the bridge was that the chain link fencing is so high it become impossible to get a photo of anything. Guess "safety" rules and if you fell you are quite high up but wasn't able to get a decent photo of the BEST view given the fence. (WILL bring a STOOL for next year!!)

Lastly this year because of the combination of weather and how we're cooling into winter we've had the BEST show of fall colour in the leaves in years. ALL the leaves are turning the most brilliant hues. Usually we don't get hot days and cold night but this year we're hitting it perfect! TONS of fall colour everywhere

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

More lovely pictures LLL. Thanks for sharing, you make me want to visit BC but sadly never will. :( :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes some really nice interesting pictures, keep em comming :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Enjoy seeing your pics, keep them coming :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just another interesting tidbit re: up island and Campbell River and all the First Nations carvers there.

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/comm ... l-carvers/